Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I attempted to run my Twist Grip Sensor wire through my new FMB 10 inch apes last night. It is obvious to me the Green Connector will not make the bend at the meat hook.

Proceeding forward, I purchased the SE Twist Grip Sensor. Tonight I may attempt to de-pin the stock connector and run the wires again. If they appear to be too much of a pain, I will install the SE Twist Grip Sensor.

So - When I go to internally wire the Twist Grip Sensor and later (or now) the left and right sides control wires (signals, cruise, audio, etc) I may need some type of lubrication to run the wire bundles.

What type of lube has been used for assisting with the installation of the wire harnesses internally to the handlebars?
# WD40?
# Axle Grease?
# Vaseline?
# KY / Astro Glide? :eek:
# Other?

Thanks in advance,
Jim

· The Greatest Moderator on The Internet
13,559 Posts
Jim, when I installed the Wild One W612 Outlawz on my bike I started by removing that dreaded green connector with the Screamin Eagle Throttle.
I then lubed the wires with KY and although it was a PIA they did slide through.
The hardest part was the angle in the bend of the bars.
Take your time and you should be able to get them through.
Best of Luck!
Mike U.

· Registered
483 Posts
^ I also used Dawn dish soap. Also, we ran the throttle by wire and the switch wires at the same time. Was worried about one getting bunched up on the other. Taped everything together with electrical tape. Taped tight enough that it made the wires stiff so you could push while someone else pulled. worked pretty easy on Carlini's toughest bar.

· Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone.

I fought this thing all the way. From learning how to undo the connectors to milking one harness through the bars.

I did the easy side first - LOL...

Attachments

· Registered
1,564 Posts
Good job! Doing the left side builds confidence! Thats what I did.

Good luck with the right side. You will do great and feel even better when it's all back together and your riding.

· Registered
49 Posts
I did 12" FMB reapers about 2 weeks ago & what a PIA!!! I used vasoline & I will say when the job was complete I was amazed everything worked, I had to pull real hard to get the throttle connector through! The FMB's look sweet, but the taller meat hook makes running the wires a real bitch! FMB does have a phat line thats 1.5" instead of 1.25" that I think would make things a bit easier, also they said stock wiring with 12" bars & while yes they did reach +4 wires would have been way better & obviously without the green plug on!

· Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Got all the wiring and installation finished up today.
The right side was a big PITA.

Did an ops check before putting the fairing on.
Good thing I did.

Initially she wouldn't start. After looking around a bit and deciphering the codes, I was able to get it started, but have no throttle response.

I've got four "P" codes: 1512, 2122, 2127 and, 2138.
All deal with the Twist Grip Throttle Sensor (I believe).

It is either the green connector or, I have skinned a wire.

Either way, because of my work schedule and an upcoming ride, she's going to the shop for final repairs. I HATE to take it in and be "defeated" but I am out of time to get this done. I have a bike trip coming up on Friday and I don't want any problems on the road.

The other issue I saw was my Cruise Control light flashing steady ON and OFF.

· Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This is my second set of bars to run wires internally and, my second time I had problems.

I doubt very seriously there will be a third time. LOL. :D

My first Harley.
Changed bars and ran wires internally on these.

· Registered
349 Posts
If you were rough with the TBW it could be toast!! Try clearing the codes first! There are post on here that tells you how to do it if you don't know! Also try turning your ignition on and off with 3 second intervals in between! Turn ignition on then off wait 4 seconds and do it again for a total of 4 cycles! Trust me ask how I know lol!

· Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you were rough with the TBW it could be toast!! Try clearing the codes first! There are post on here that tells you how to do it if you don't know! Also try turning your ignition on and off with 3 second intervals in between! Turn ignition on then off wait 4 seconds and do it again for a total of 4 cycles! Trust me ask how I know lol!
Gotta love first hand knowledge - Thanks!

I'm sure I skinned up something. :mad:

· Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the offers of help and suggestions.

The installation was re-done last week and I picked the bike up from the shop on Friday morning.

I had broken the Green Connector on the Throttle By Wire Sensor. I was hoping not to use the Screamin Eagle sensor and save myself some time and money. In the end, it ended up costing me more than I care to admit.

All-in-all, I like the bars. I guess I am going to have to get a reach seat for the bike. I have adjusted the bars again and still feel like I am reaching too far.

Thanks again to the forum for the great deal on the bars and the help and suggestions.

Obligatory Pictures...

Taken at the Iron Horse Motorcycle Lodge, Robbinsville, NC.

On the Tail of the Dragon, Saturday, 20 June.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.