Road Glide banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I road my brand new RG through Bellvue Iowa south of Dubuque. A gorgeous area along the Mississippi River, very scenic with a few good beer stops. Alert! Highway 52 south of Bellvue to 64 west to Maquoketa are borderline dangerous for a motorcycle! If you have back problems turn around. This is the worst stretch of highway I have ever been on, rattled my teeth multiple times. I will admit Iowa roads are fairly crappy but this blew my mind, not good on you or your machine, FYI:frown:

·
Registered
118 Posts
I live in this area and have done that ride many times. It is a little rough, but so is most of the Midwest around here unfortunately. When I drive to Chicago for Baddest Bagger, that can get pretty bad. >:)

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
I road my brand new RG through Bellvue Iowa south of Dubuque. A gorgeous area along the Mississippi River, very scenic with a few good beer stops. Alert! Highway 52 south of Bellvue to 64 west to Maquoketa are borderline dangerous for a motorcycle! If you have back problems turn around. This is the worst stretch of highway I have ever been on, rattled my teeth multiple times. I will admit Iowa roads are fairly crappy but this blew my mind, not good on you or your machine, FYI:frown:

52 isn't all that bad, was on that a couple weeks ago, 64 is certainly not one the roads we're proud of, but it's one bunch better than it used to be. The entire state is slowly getting better now that we're paying an extra 10 cents/gal fuel tax. Wisconsin and Missouri still have better roads.

·
Registered
122 Posts
The heat we've had recently has made a lot of new bumps. The old concrete beneath the asphalt tends to heave and buckle in June due to ample rain and 90+ temps. Be careful out there. I am a maintenance supervisor for IDOT(IL) about an hour east of the Savanna area and we have been having "blowups" for about 2 weeks. Ground one down Sunday night at 9:30pm that was up about 6 inches.

These will separate your butt from the seat. Hopefully you don't end up with an unintentional dismount.

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
2,338 Posts

I was just on 64 a few weeks ago. It wasn't all that bad. 52 was bad last year. Haven't been on it yet this year. That's the way we run up to Breitbach's in Balltown.

Parts of 61 in Wisconsin will make you appreciate Iowa and Illinois roads, unless they've fixed it recently. You can't even keep your cruise control engaged because the bumps turn it off, around Soldiers Grove. Maybe they've fixed it by now.

From google maps. Some of the cracks are 2 inches tall

·
Registered
940 Posts
I did not listen to this advice over the weekend. I rode 64 back from the J&P open house. I didn't think it was so bad until about the last 15 miles before the Mississippi. The west bound lane didn't look as bad but the east bound lane was bad. I looked down at my wind shield and it was moving around pretty good on the left side. At first I thought the rough ride popped on of my well nuts out of the fairing but when I stopped I realized the top screw holding the inner to the outer wiggled loose and was just kind of hanging there in the fairing. Not the worst stretch of road I have been on but its pretty bad.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts