Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the Ipod mod is installed on my bike, and low and behold, I can not use my Ipod. The system will only play the chip units. and not the hard drive Ipods (old school looking units). Had to spend an extra 175 bucks for a 16G nano. So if you have the old school style Ipod, be advised.

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
are you sure about that? i was under the impression that it would play the older hard drive models, but it would give you a warning before hand to let you know that it was not recommended.

besides, putting a hd model on your bike is just asking for trouble. they are not made to withstand the vibes that these bikes put out.

page 1 of the included manual:

if the audio system recognizes a device other than an iPod nano, a warning message will be displayed. To continue using a non-certified device with the motorcycle, press and hold the OK soft key to clear the warning message.
and:

iPod classic: strongly not recommended. possible damage to iPod may result

·
Registered
319 Posts
Do we know for sure which ones have hard drives in them? Is their a list of supported iPods/iPhones?

I've been eye-ing this mod since I heard about it. I wish HD would publish manuals online for this stuff...

Mylo

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
They all work... I tested them on mine... but you do not want the hard drive units there... the vibration would kill the drive...

You know which one those are... thick as heck. iPod classic 160g, the older bricks... can't miss it, the ones with hds are the thick ones...

iPod touch, Nano, Shuffle, iPhones, etc... all those are good to use and withstand the vibration. I think that on the shuffle you have to turn off the option that allows you to shake the unit to move to the next song or you will be changing songs without wanting to do so every time you brake or accelerate abruptly...

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
My ipod that has been connected to my car for years, refused to cooperate with my HK. When we first connected the ipod, got the warning, and moved on. played a few songs, turned the bike off, turned the bike on, got a warning, and nothing. installed the nano, and put old ipod pack in car. nano works and is certified to operate on the HK system. I guess my older Ipod likes MOPAR.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Hard Drive IPod? what's next a 8 Track and Records? lol rofl:D

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
They all work... I tested them on mine... but you do not want the hard drive units there... the vibration would kill the drive...

You know which one those are... thick as heck. iPod classic 160g, the older bricks... can't miss it, the ones with hds are the thick ones...

iPod touch, Nano, Shuffle, iPhones, etc... all those are good to use and withstand the vibration. I think that on the shuffle you have to turn off the option that allows you to shake the unit to move to the next song or you will be changing songs without wanting to do so every time you brake or accelerate abruptly...

small correction wachuko. the shuffle will not work. it does not have the right interface. but all the others do.

i believe on the iphone and ipod touch, you have to start the music app before you make the connection though.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
small correction wachuko. the shuffle will not work. it does not have the right interface. but all the others do.

i believe on the iphone and ipod touch, you have to start the music app before you make the connection though.
My mistake... I was confusing the new iPod Nano with the Shuffle. Good catch.

Shuffle:

New Nano:

I only tested with an old iPod Classic (20Gig unit), iPod Classic 160, iPod Nano 1G (the first version of the Nano that came out), iPod Nano (the new version), and the iPhone 4. And all of those worked without issues.

The one I find myself using the most is the iPhone. And I don't remember having to initiate the application before connecting. Maybe it was already running on the background or something. I will check on my way home from work (yes! using the bike today!!!)

·
Registered
319 Posts
Here's another question for those of us that haven't seen the integration... Does the act of plugging in the iTouch/iPhone "take over" the device? When I plug my phone into my wife's BMW, it locks it (I cannot use any other apps, like my GPS Nav app). I assume this is the also the case with this Boom interface?

If so, I might just go with another solution, like a Ram mount and power/analog signal interface. My nav app gives me turn by turn AND iPod/Stitcher/Pandora capabilities.

Mylo

·
Registered
826 Posts
I've been using a 5th Gen iPod Nano in mine and it seems to work ok. It's a little buggy but overall I'm happy with it. It didn't like my iTouch too well.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Here's another question for those of us that haven't seen the integration... Does the act of plugging in the iTouch/iPhone "take over" the device? When I plug my phone into my wife's BMW, it locks it (I cannot use any other apps, like my GPS Nav app). I assume this is the also the case with this Boom interface?

If so, I might just go with another solution, like a Ram mount and power/analog signal interface. My nav app gives me turn by turn AND iPod/Stitcher/Pandora capabilities.

Mylo
I am curious about this too, as I frequently use GPS app's on my iPhone and I was hoping to continue to do so and hear it through the sound system.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I am curious about this too, as I frequently use GPS app's on my iPhone and I was hoping to continue to do so and hear it through the sound system.
I thought about it over the past week. The ability to navigate with the handlebar controls and the loss of use of my iPhone Nav app (not to mention Pandora, Stitcher, and Slacker apps) was not worth the "privilege" of parting with $400. For a little more than a quarter of that, I went with the Iron Aces mount. MotionX will superimpose nav instructions over the music using this setup. The only downside is that I will have to stash it if it starts to rain.

Mylo

·
Registered
537 Posts
I also went with the Iron Aces mount and the motion x gps app. I also use the touch player app to control my music in landscape mode(iphone turned on it's side). I have something called digits from a site called thinkgeek.com so I can use the touch screen with gloves on. I live in So. Cal so it never rains so I never have to worry about that.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I also went with the Iron Aces mount and the motion x gps app. I also use the touch player app to control my music in landscape mode(iphone turned on it's side). I have something called digits from a site called thinkgeek.com so I can use the touch screen with gloves on. I live in So. Cal so it never rains so I never have to worry about that.
Good call on the digits... Forgot about that. What is this "touch player" app? Who makes it? Is it the $.99 one from "Kiboo"? Is it better than the default iPod app? Thanks.

Mylo

·
Registered
537 Posts
Good call on the digits... Forgot about that. What is this "touch player" app? Who makes it? Is it the $.99 one from "Kiboo"? Is it better than the default iPod app? Thanks.

Mylo
Yes its the one from Kiboo for $.99. It has a nice display with the name of the song and the band. You can also pause and skip forward and backward in landscape mode (when your iphone is on its side instead of up and down). You can also pick any of your playlists or shuffle all. If you are using your default ipod on the phone and turn it sideways it goes into a cover display and limits what you can do.

·
Registered
319 Posts
So I am in the final throws of this particular upgrade. The only downside is that if it starts raining, I will have to stow my phone. That got me to thinking, however... What about the powered iPod wire? Surely that will short out and blow a fuse if water got into the connection. I should probably put the power on the accessory circuit, don't you think? I found an unused Deutsch plug in the front fairing, but it doesn't seem to be affected by the accessory switch. I suppose I could use the one under the seat, but I'd rather not have to run a wire all the way back, just for that. Anybody with a service manual know if there is an accessory circuit tap up front?

Mylo

·
Registered
559 Posts
on the iron ace mount,is it really worth it to purchase the wiring from them, it looks like the cable would vibrate loose

·
Registered
537 Posts
I have the wire harness for the I phone and have mo problems with anything coming loose the connection under the seat is like it was from the factory and it clips into the phone really tight. I like it being cleaned up also. If you find your self in rain you can turn off the power to the plug so I don't think it would harm any fuses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 20 Posts