Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a harley iPod interface for a guy that has a SG CVO. Since I have a RGU is there anything that I need to hook up to mine or does it just plug and play. This what he had in the ad and said it came with.
HD P/N 72647-11 = IPOD MODULE

HD P/N 72648-11 = IPOD CABLE INTERMEDIATE

HD P/N 72651-11 = IPOD CABLE HARNESS DOCKING (SADDLE BAG CABLE)

·
Registered
2,469 Posts

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Jayks thank u that's what I might do is run it into my L/S glove box do u know once I plug this in Wil the aux feature work also. The reason for going this route was so I still have music when my navi is plugged in to the aux. got tired of disconnecting the iPhone and putting my navi on.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
I can't answer that 100% because I really didn't use the Aux input, but I'm almost certain you won't lose the Aux capability. You won't be able to use the Aux and the iPod at the same time, of course.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I just put mine in my bike yesterday. The only problem I have is it doesn't charge my iPhone... I am using the HD iPod adapter and the Iron Aces mount on top of the gauges for my iPhone.

I would be curious to know if you run into the same situation.

Mike.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was just looking on HD site and it says that it charges the iPod/iPhone when the bike is on. Now I have a Roadglide ultra and it seems as that I don't need any extra wires or harness but now I think I need a plate or mount to install or can I mount it any other way? MJ how did u mount your and how was the install

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Mine always charged my iPhone. No problems. You might recheck your connections, particularly the pins that are inserted into the 35 pin connector. They can be difficult to get pushed all the way in.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
I was just looking on HD site and it says that it charges the iPod/iPhone when the bike is on. Now I have a Roadglide ultra and it seems as that I don't need any extra wires or harness but now I think I need a plate or mount to install or can I mount it any other way? MJ how did u mount your and how was the install
On an ultra, it just slides in on top of the radio, next to the CB unit. Very easy to mount. One screw.

The only real hard part of the install is inserting those pins into the connector. A little tedious.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I used the Iron Aces mount above the gauges (the one in the ad up top). I love it as my iPhone is right there with built in Navi. And at the same time I can use it for the iPod music. My only problem is after my install yesterday it doesn't charge my iPhone. I need to recheck my connections...

·
Registered
413 Posts
I agree with Jay and use the right glove box for my Iphone. I decided to mount the module inside the fairing using the hook and loop method, but that was just me.

The greatest benefit with these modules is the ability to integrate with the bike audio system. When I had my 2001, I had the satellite radio in the left glove box and my Iphone or Ipod in my jacket pocket. I would switch my ear bud connector between sources and, in all honesty, I was as happy as hell.

Now, we can just use a 1/8 inch adaptor and plug into the Ultra's audio system on the console while monitoring and controlloing all of the audio system functions using the handlebar controls.

What was I thinking before? I am now totally spoiled.

tj

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Now I have a question for those who have XM module, cb module, and are planning to add the iPod unit. I have seen under the fairing in a CVO that they add everything one in top of the other over the radio. But what I don't know is where do you connect it ? Do I need another over lay harness to operate it ?

Here is a public of what I'm talking about under the fairing. The iPod module is on the left right is the cb and across the top is the xm module.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Look at the HD instruction the is a part number for a bracket that makes u mount the iPod module on the right side of the fairing incase u have the navi,xm or the Bluetooth.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
OK not a problem that helps alot. ....even the bracket that is in the picture I posted would help out as well. Only question is where does it plug in ? Do I plug it into the overlay harness ? My overlay harness is from back in 06' from my ultra classic. I remember there being plugs for the bluetooth but I don't think there is a plug for an iPod module on that harness.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
You should be good to go. Here's a link to the instructions: http://www.harley-davidson.com//en_US/Media/downloads/Service/isheets/-J05168.pdf?version=desktop

The only other thing you may want is the Saddlebag mount kit, if you plan to go that route. The P/N is in the instructions. I just ran the cable to one of the gloveboxes. I like that it was more accessible there and I didn't have to buy the saddlebag kit.
I just drilled a hole and put mine in the left glove box with a grommett around the wire and since I am using a 160 gig ipod classic with a hard drive that is sensitive to vibration, I just wrap the ipod in a piece of bubble wrap until I get a smaller ipod. it has worked fine so far

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
In the 35 pin connector is there wires in the spot where the iPod interface wires go or is it numbered and just push the pins in

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok so my plan was to work on the bike this morning but got called into work for snow so I decided last night to just remove the fairing and disconnect the 35 pin connector and take it to work with me and install the wiring pins from the interface well then it started (see pic below)go to remove the connector tab breaks then I c I can't take the harness out,then the connector is not numbered so in pics below the only thing I see is the is white tabs in the connector is that where the wiring pins go for the iPod inter face?also do u think if I put alittle crazy glue on that tab it will be fine. Once I get home I want to go and install all this ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359904663.020682.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359904675.482719.jpg

1 - 20 of 21 Posts