Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I typically get the question, "Whats the longest youve ever ridden?" I generally reply with, "At one time, or on one trip?"

The longest Ive ever stayed in the saddle is 24hrs, coming back from Sturgis in '04. The first night back I had made it to Denver, CO. The second night I was shooting for Little Rock, AR, but the night turned out pleasant and with the relief of traffic thru the congested construction zones of I-40 at that time, I just kept hammerin. I hadnt planned on running that hard, but the hours kept clickin, as did the miles. I ended up running 1300 miles in 24hrs, on top of the 3000 miles I put down to get to Sturgis, then on to Yellowstone. It got crazy toward the end in that I remember seeing a sign showing the mileage to Tupelo, MS at 20 miles or so, the next sign I had remember stated Winfield, AL at 12, leaving me to wonder where in the hell Tupelo went. My wife was on the back, and I would frequently have to push her back as she would nod forward, bumping her helmet into mine.

The longest one trip would be my trip to Yosemite, CA in 09. I ended up putting down 6100 miles in 10days. I crossed the country to CA, went thru Yosemite on to San Fransisco, then hit the pacific coast highway north till oregon, then back thru the Bonneville Salt Flats, and back across the Rockies.

·
Registered
42 Posts
That is pretty impressive. I can't hardly believe your wife would let you go that far. My best day was 860 miles on my old road king. It was actually quite enjoyable. (wifey did not and probaly would not have let me go that far with her on back.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Did a 1030 mile ride in 23hrs last summer. Hope to make it an annual thing now. Not near as tiring as I'd thought. Last time I did it, was on a BMW R100R with a little cafe' fairing, and it wore me out. The RG was relatively comfy in comparison. Can't wait to do a serious trip to the lower 48, and do some cross country rides. Staying in AK gets a little stale.

Jeff

·
Super Moderator
2,890 Posts
1017 miles in 17.5 hours got me my Iron Butt certificate a few years ago. Idaho Falls to Orange County, CA, with a few zigs and a few zags to qualify for the 1K. I experienced temperatures that ranged from the 30's early in the morning in Idaho to 120's in Nevada in the afternoon. People always ask, "Didn't your butt hurt during all of that?" No way. I had a tooth that decided to die the morning I left.:( Any time I opened my mouth, the air rushing over the tooth felt like someone was was jamming three ice picks into my mouth. Try not opening your mouth for 17 hours while riding - it cannot be done. I had a ball, though.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
I did 605 miles one day on a trip from eastern, NC down into SC, and over into the GA mountains. Next couple of days took in the Dragon and the 469 mile long Blue Ridge Parkway. Virginia's Skyline Drive, a detour to see Gentleman Jack in Lynchburg, and a BIG circle back home made up a wonderful 5 day, 2300 mile trip. Went to Indianapolis and back for a Red Knight's convention in 2000 in a few days. Did those on a Harley Deuce with no windshield. Glad I don't have to do that anymore, now I'm in luxury.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
I tried an Iron Butt ride several years ago that I didn't get to finish. We rode from eastern, NC to Tennessee and back only I blew a FRONT tire in the mountains on the way back. I was doing about 75, downhill, in a curve. Scared the crap out of me. Thought I was dead, but managed to get it stopped. I don't recommend it, that's for sure. I'd love to try one again, especially now that I've got something more comfortable to ride. The blow out was on my 2000 Deuce.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I did mine last July.
Following the first service on the new RoadGlide I headed up thru central Mexico from Veracruz to the US border at Laredo. No banditos or problems except for torrential rains. After three days of riding I made it to Cheyenne, Wy. for the start of the run.
Started out at 02:00 and rode across most of Wyoming in the dark. I just kept riding until I needed to stop for gas. About 4:00 the next afternoon I arrived at my Brothers house which is in Ontario, Or. about 200 miles from the end. I figured that I would take a shower and freshen up a bit and then continue on with the ride.
Well, the shower was replaced with a can of RedBull and after about a 2 hour rest while he packed his bike we were on our way to Redmond, Or. and the International BMW rally.
I was on the only Harley that made the Ironbutt run.:D Got a little ribbing from a few of the BMW Guys. I just told them that I would have came on the Beemer but it was in the shop.:p
Really wasn't that bad or a run. It was nice and cool crossing Wyoming and I had a Camelback to stay hydrated along the way.
The new RoadGlide didn't miss a beat. I had to stop once on the way back to get the oil changed.:)
All in all I was gone from home 19 days and I put on around 6500 miles.
Going to try and do another Ironbutt this summer. Probably in the East this time.;)

Attachments

·
Registered
67 Posts
I done my first Iron Butt in 2007. 1150 miles in 18 hrs on an ST1300. I drug my wife 1500 miles in 2 days on a trip out west. She's a real trooper. However when we got there, we only done about 250 a day.

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
She's a tough one!

I typically get the question, "Whats the longest youve ever ridden?" I generally reply with, "At one time, or on one trip?"
My wife was on the back :eek: , and I would frequently have to push her back as she would nod forward, bumping her helmet into mine.
She's a tough one to last that long 2up for that long! Grats to her man...very impressive.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
I haven't managed to do 1000 miles in one sitting yet, though I've ridden to IN a few times (700 miles each direction. My 2 day best was between 1200-1300 in 2 days, Springfield, MO to Anderson, IN, Anderson, IN to Augusta, GA. Finished that trip off by overbraking for a f***ing cat that ran out in front of me (at 1:30AM, no less,) getting high sided and breaking my collarbone. That was July 2005. Plenty of jokes came from that incident.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
She's a tough one to last that long 2up for that long! Grats to her man...very impressive.
She can definitely hold her own. Married her about 7yrs ago now, and from the chapel we left on my Roadking on the honeymoon. With a 'Just Married' sign tied to the T-Bag, and my brides vail trailing in the wind it was Colorado or bust. At that time I hadnt been west of the Mississippi. My riding buddies thought Id give up about Arkansas, but on thru the Ozarks we went, pressing onward west, crossing the great plains thru Kansas (that has braggin rights in its own regard). After a couple days in Colorado, checking out the back country, I reviewed the road atlas and we decided that the Grand Canyon wasnt too far away, so onward west we went. From there, once again, after reviewing the road atlas we decided that Vegas wasnt too far away, so once again we headed west. From there we had run out of time and money, so it was time to return to routine life. That trip opened the door for us, weve been riding hard ever since.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I rode my first Iron Butt last summer. Done the distance within the time constraints in the past but just never applied for the certificate or pin. I was in Arizona on an extended work project and had the forsight to take the bike along with me.
I had been planning it for some time now and just couldn't get enough of the weekend due to work tempo. Finally, Aug 21, I had the shot to do it. I hit the road at 3AM in Sierra Vista, AZ and my plan was to ride north to I-10 then turn right and do a straight shot to Pecos, TX. I hadn't planned on the glaring sun in my eyes at sunrise, so that slowed me a bit. After that, just fine cruising across New Mexico into El Paso, then on to the I-20 fork and on into Pecos. Did the turn around with a tank of gas and picked up a Subway for later down the road. 80mph speed limit in Texas sure makes the miles melt away. In the afternoon now, the storm cells are billowing and I'm pressing the speed limit to stay ahead of one coming up from the south near El Paso. I-10 turns north up into New Mexico so I was able to put quite a few miles between me and the weather. As I rolled into Arizona, another storm cell had me beat so I stopped and put on the rain suit and helmet then got back on the road. The wind picked up and the rain came down, hard. I was about to take the shoulder of the road to wait it out but then a tractor trailer came up on my left and blocked the wind and a good part of the rain. I picked up the pace again and stayed next to his cab for a few miles until I could see brake lights through the rain up ahead. The tractor trailer began breaking hard and the trailer began fishtailing into my lane, behind me. When things got under control again, I decided to pull off on the shoulder to wait out the heavy part of the storm. As I'm sitting there, cars rolling by at about 25, the wind blowing and the rain still pouring, and lightning popping all around, I realized I'm sitting about ten feet away from a milage stake on the edge of the road. Hmmmmmm, is this like a lightning rod? I would guess so. Now, how far backward can I push myself away from this thing? Wellll, maybe I could just idle along the shoulder of the road to the next overpass that my GPS said was about a mile down the road. Yeah, I'll go for the overpass and sit out the rain. Spent about an hour with that soaking issue then got back on the road in a light rain the rest of the trip.
18 hours to make the run. The H-D rainsuit is almost a pleasure to ride in. I guess the guys at the IBA are pretty much overloaded as I didn't get my stuff untill mid December. Well worth it though.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Did 1070 miles in 17 hrs 45 minutes with a group of buddies. 4 of us on Ultra Classics and 3 on Sporties. Sporties all had peanut tanks......= a lot of fuel stops. Rode from San Antonio, Tx to Barnett's HD, El Paso, Tx and back. We had 4 or 5 fuel stops out and same back, spent 45 minutes at Barnett's, took a 30 Subway sandwich break and broke every speed limit on I-10. Relatively cool in October, at 4:30, am leaving SA and the same returning at 10:15pm. Weather throughout the day was great. Had to watch for deer on I-10, seen a lot fresh road kill via 18 wheelers, but never had any run out in front of us. home and in bed by 11:00pm and up and on the road the following morning at 8:00am for another day of riding the Texas Hill Country. That was a Great weekend. Looking forward to the next one.

No patches needed, those of us that made the trip know, those that didn't, know we did and wished they had!

Not bad for 5 middle aged (50 - 63) bikers and 2 youngsters (mid 30's).

·
Registered
13 Posts
Lets see On my 08 heritage softail I did Sarasota,Fl to shreveport,LA 1167 in 17.5 hrs. The day after that i went shreveport to albequerque, Nm 1065, in 18hrs. Total for that trip all through out west wast 5800 in 12 days. Ive done a few more iron butt trips to sturgis and the like. Cant wait to Iron butt on my glide though im sure it will be nicer.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I did the Saddle Sore 1000 a couple of years ago. I rode from Augusta, GA to Birmingham to Nashville, to Asheville, NC, to Columbia, SC and then home. I left about 4:30 in the morning (timing Atlanta and Birmingham rush hours) and got home about 8:30 or so that night. I'm planning on doing the Bun Burner 1500 this Spring once it warms up.

Rode from the NW Chicago suburbs to Dalton, GA in one day, two-up and loaded with gear - approximately 775 miles. That was pretty long considering the load I was carrying. My wife (who now rides her own) and I rode to Daytona for the Pepsi 400 on that trip, covering 11 states and 3,000 miles in six days.

Probably the longest ride I ever had, psychologically, was riding home to Chicago from Talladega with my brother a few years back. When we left at 5:00 in the morning, it was 41 degrees and that was the high for the day. By the time we got to the TN border it had clouded up and the wind had picked up. We rode all that way with the temps in the 30's and 25 mph crosswinds. By the time we got to northern IN, it had dropped into the 20's. Fifteen hours later we were home. I didn't even look at the bike for several days and it probably took me about that long to thaw out.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Probably the longest ride I ever had, psychologically, was riding home to Chicago from Talladega with my brother a few years back. When we left at 5:00 in the morning, it was 41 degrees and that was the high for the day. By the time we got to the TN border it had clouded up and the wind had picked up. We rode all that way with the temps in the 30's and 25 mph crosswinds. By the time we got to northern IN, it had dropped into the 20's. Fifteen hours later we were home. I didn't even look at the bike for several days and it probably took me about that long to thaw out.

Yep, those kind of temps just suck the life out of you!! A heated vest/liner is worth a million bucks, when it's like that. There's one in my bag spring and fall. I catch a ration from some guys for being a sissy......but I'm a warm sissy! :)

Jeff

·
Registered
505 Posts
1848 miles in 2 very long days from the Buffalo Chip campgrounds in Sturgis, SD to Myrtle Beach, SC by myself on my old Electra Glide Classic.......

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
I got my Iron Butt in 2007. 1013 miles in 18 hours from Virginia Beach, VA to Savannah, GA and back. Did it on a 2007 883XL, I think I [email protected]#sed blood after it was done. Just traded that bike in last week for the 11 RG, what a difference. Can't wait for the weather to get nicer so I can make a few long rides this year.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts