Road Glide banner

41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Just got clarification from Ira Agins. A 50CC has no pre-requesite, even if it is "the Hard Way" being any route other than Jax-SD. The 100CCC is a Gold ride weather it is Jax-SD or "the Hard Way" and does have the pre-requesites. Sorry if I caused any confusion. My brain is gettin' old.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Interesting stories to say the least
In 2000 I was heading out to Sturgis from the coast I was pumped about the trip as I was going solo and had a bunch of buddies I was meeting up with that I had not seen for a few years .We had a house that we rented for a week in Lead .The plan was for us to get there on Saturday and just enjoy the ralley for the next week .I was to leave Friday and get to the hills on Saturday night. But it was not to be.. I had all my gear packed & ready on Thursday night and crashed about 10:00, I was wide awake at two in the morning and told the wife i was hitting the road I hit Spokane WA about 7:30 am and filled up had a cup of coffee and pointed toward Missoula .Hit Missoula at 10:00 topped off and headed across Montana with the idea that i would spend the night in Billings .Hit Billings at 5:00 and was feeling great Had a cup of coffee topped off and some pie and said what the hell I can do this and headed for the hills Got to Gullet at 10:00 and i was feeling it ( I had been in the saddle and weather for 18 or 19 hours) I was ready to call it and I went into a Applies and there was another rider and his girlfriend eating and they invited me to sit .I told them the story and they said they were going to hit Custer that night and had a house and i could crash there . I said great (added another 167 miles ) We rolled in at 1.55 am . 1389 miles, three mountain ranges ,the high plains on the big slab where the deer and the antelopes play

I could not do it today but it was a great memory

·
Registered
28 Posts
Just got clarification from Ira Agins. A 50CC has no pre-requesite, even if it is "the Hard Way" being any route other than Jax-SD. The 100CCC is a Gold ride weather it is Jax-SD or "the Hard Way" and does have the pre-requesites. Sorry if I caused any confusion. My brain is gettin' old.
Im sorry but to qualify for all the rides you can do on a 100 ccc you must do a BBG first.

1. The rides covered by these rules include:
Bun Burner GOLD 3000: two Bun Burner Gold 1500s back to back;
100cc Insanity - the CCC GOLD: two 50CCs back to back;
2. Before you can apply for any ride referenced by these rules, you must satisfy the following conditions: To qualify for a Bun-Burner GOLD 3000 or CCC GOLD you must have at least completed one of the following; a Bun-Burner GOLD, a SaddleSore 2000, the Alberta 2000, Capitol 1000, Nevada 1100, Minnesota 1000, TimberButt, Tarbutt Rally, Utah 1088, any Cognoscente Group event, any Reno BMW Long Distance Event, any MERA event, or the Iron Butt Rally.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Well I did a trip with my XL1200C last year... we did 2500 miles (500 of them was the Swiss 500 Miles endurance run)... here is a Story I did for the Green Knights paper a while back:

It was a warm morning in early June. Sean and Cole were at the Spangdahlem AB Gas Station at 0900. It was already 0852 and I was still at my house. I pulled my Sportster out of the garage and tried to start it…. Nothing… OK?!?! Dead Battery… that is not good. We have been planning this trip since January, changed it, planned it again, changed parts of it… changed all of it and then we had it… 12 countries, 6 days and 3 Harleys. Our final stop would be the legendary Swiss 500 miles in Zürich, Switzerland. 500 miles of Switzerland’s roads, passes and all in between in 24 hours with one stop at 0300 for one hour. All in all we thought we were up to the task. But I had not even started mile one. So there I am, pushing my overloaded Sportster down the road about 500 yards to a hill nearby. Calling it every name in the book. Half way down the Hill, she starts up. With the bike started I hauled like a bat out of hell to Spangdahlem AB, a 15 minutes ride. As I got there, Sean and Cole were waiting. Top it off with a little gas and a final wave to Sean’s wife and we were gone… Sean was leading us with his new Zumo 550 GPS mounted, with our trip preloaded. Riding at about 75 MPH and 50 minutes later, Cole and I see this fairly nice, expensive piece of plastic skidding on the Autobahn, shattering in 100 pieces… both Cole and I were watching it skid wondering what the hell that was… Sean’s 4 way flashers come on and then we knew it for sure… it was the GPS. Luckily I had borrowed a GPS from one of our members and had also pre-loaded the route…. So now, under new lead we embarked on our journey that had not started to swell. After a few hours we finally made it to the boarder to our first country, The Czech Republic. Our next stop would be the Harley Dealer in Pilzen about one hour from Praha… the Capitol and our destination for the day. After running around the industrial park in Pilzen, wondering where it might be, we came across it. A small strange looking shop on the edge of the forest. After spending a good 2 hours plundering in the T-Shirt department we engaged in the Art of eastern county gassing up. In the evening we arrived in Praha. The street was Americka (yes, with CK) so we just had to stay there. We got to park our bike in the back yard of the hotel. After spending time in the nightlife of the city and a few brews we finally called it quits for the day.
On day 2 we planned on heading to Hungary to stay at Lake Balaton. At the same resort most Communist leaders have stayed during the cold war era (Erich Honecker, Fidel Castro to name a few). We started fairly late after a visit to the Hard Rock Café. At 10 miles into the trip, it started to rain cats and dogs. We pulled over and suited up in Rain Gear. We did not know that the next 12 hours would be a rain filled time. Since most countries in Europe have tolls on the Autobahn, we needed to pull over at every crossing to find out if we needed a toll sticker or if it was a pay as you go system. Slovakia being a toll sticker country required us to get a sticker at the border. With eastern roads being more or less neglected for over 40 years, have its fair share of potholes. The biggest one being in the middle of the road with a 30X45 foot size in the middle of the road on the top of the hill. I noticed it first and managed to ride around it. Cole saw me and avoided it too. Sean, who was a bit behind did not see it until it was almost too late. After pulling a swerve that would have made any MSF Coach proud he barely made it too. The rest of the day was more or less normal riding. We managed to get to Hungary at the beginning of dawn. With about 2 hours left until our hotel. We stopped for food and some gas and continued on. Right at midnight we made it to Club Liga, the Communist Party’s prime resort in the Cold war. There we found out that eastern Hotels close at 1900 and that you had to call the Duty Manager… well this one was nowhere to be found… So with the problem of us being soaked wet and no hotel, we looked for new accommodations. After 45 minutes riding in the rain (again) we found a nice hotel in Siofolk, the Party Capital of Hungary. But it was by then 2 am and none of us were even thinking of party at the time. We had our good night Beer and hit the feathers.

The next morning, we started off on to Aviano AB, Italy, a run that would take us though another 2 countries (Croatia and Slovenia) for a total of 7 countries in 3 days. At the boarder of Croatia, we were stopped and our Passports checked. I guess they do not get many Americans at that boarder since all of the border patrol came out to see us. After about 20 minutes of them looking at our passports we were granted access to the most gorgeous country we had seen so far on this trip. With its rolling hills and wonderful infrastructure. Not much reminds you of the gruesome acts during the Yugoslavian War in the 90’s. Stopping at the outskirts of Zagreb and the Photo-op we continued to the city center where we found the #1 export franchise of the USA- McDonald’s. Sean only said:”We ride half way around Europe and then 3 Green Knights go to McDonald’s.” Anyhow, we did a window tour of the city center before hitting the Autobahn. Slovenia being part of the EC and part of the Euro Money Zone we were happy to be back there. But note to myself:”never tell the Slovenian Boarder guy you are coming from Germany when you are at the southern border…. That makes them ask you more stupid questions.” So after clearing Customs, we went on to Bratislava to stop at the Harley Café for lunch. No one spoke a word of English, but all menu Items were in English. (????) That sure helped ordering. After a great meal and drink it was time for the last stint of the day…. Aviano AB. We made it there right before midnight. With AAFES food facilities being closed and nothing on the economy open, there was only one place left--- the D-Fac!!! So we ride all day to Italy and we get Chow Hall Food… What a life!!! After dinner we all went to our room and started posting on Facebook our adventures and staying in contact with Brian and Mike who left 1 week before us in the other direction. We would meet up with them in Switzerland the next day.
Leaving the Hotel right at 1100 and stopping at the Shopette for some on-the-way snacks and some 4 packs of Monster we started on our Tour de Alps. There we played around and rode all passes that were thrown at us until it was almost dark… well, now we had another problem… we were still 150 miles from our next Hotel and the starting point for the Swiss 500 miles. We jumped on the Autobahn (after getting the Toll Sticker again) and rode there. We managed to get to the hotel right at midnight (do you see the trend??). We were welcomed by friends of ours and soon went to bed, catching z’s for the endeavor of the next day.
The Swiss 500 was a totally new thing to me. 500 miles does not sound much, when you think about it… you can do that in 7 or 8 hours with gas. Well that is what I thought, until I saw what I had gotten myself into. 460 Bikes, one event and 9 stops. We would go from almost sea level to over 6391 feet at the Klausenpass …. from burning your skin to freezing your buns off... green grass to snow on both sides and multi 100 feet drops on both sides of the road. If we have not seen it until then, we were doomed to see it now. All in all the event went smooth. We were in a pack of 24 Bikes. 3 were Navigators, 4 were Communications and 3 sweepers. One guy stayed behind at the hotel waiting for us to call and pick up a bike in case we needed. So at 1400 we took on the challenge. As all 460 bikes rolled out of the parking lot and the small City experienced its first total loss of traffic regulation, we then soon found the open road. Going up 17% mountain passes, down the mountain valleys into the dark of the Central European night. We managed to survive the night, taking our fair share of breaks and no mechanical defects until about 0600 in the morning. It took us exactly 23 hours and 59 minutes to finish the course, but we did it. 523 Miles in less than 24 hours. We made it!! The 3 Mousecaterers did it again. Sore, tired but we did it. The next scheduled event was the after ride party at the hotel and a dinner at the Stars and Stripes Restaurant. The day finished for us at 0100 with the feeling of actually pushing yourself to the limit and knowing that you did not put yourself or others in harm’s way.
To finish our Euro Tour 2.1 Beta version (since Mike and Brian were on the Euro Tour 2) was only one more thing left to do. Going home!! So after all of the trip being a test of our abilities and mental strength we were now ready for the final ride of the trip. Awaiting us would be our wives and kids (well in Cole’s case his cat) and our own bed and dry shoes. Right after breakfast we saddled up and headed out. Passing though Basel into the southern tip of Germany. We took the fairly fastest route hitting the last Esso Station and McDonald’s before entering France. We took the back roads home as far as it seemed feasible and entered Germany again just south of the old Zweibrücken Air Base. From there it was another 2 hours until home. We all stopped at the old base for a quick smoke and talk before we would set sail to the last leg of the trip. As we got closer and closer to home everyone broke off onto their own trail heading in the direction they lived. Until it was just me again, hauling like a Bat out Hell again, wanting to get home.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
I got my Iron Butt in 2007. 1013 miles in 18 hours from Virginia Beach, VA to Savannah, GA and back. Did it on a 2007 883XL, I think I [email protected]#sed blood after it was done. Just traded that bike in last week for the 11 RG, what a difference. Can't wait for the weather to get nicer so I can make a few long rides this year.
That's what I'm talking about. That's not iron hard, that's Superman's Kneecaps hard. Might have to throw stubborn in there someplace. You're awesome.

·
Registered
23 Posts
A couple of Saddlesores

I have so far completed two in-state SS1000's on my 2004 RG. First one was about 18 hours, second was about 17. Both were in California, the first basically up & down I-5 for the whole time, the second mixed up a couple of roads and basically went from San Jose to Manzanar National Monument. The second was by far the better ride mainly because it was so scenic.

My bike was had the stock seat, stage 1 and a rider backrest (essential for longer rides IMHO).

I just sold that bike and will be picking up a RG Ultra this week. I have some days off in early Sept that I plan a SS2000 on the new bike and next spring I'll probably go for the CC50/100 attempt.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Here's a log I put on Facebook after completing my first SS1K last year. I was planning on doing another organized SS1K event this year, but have to head home for pacemaker surgery for my mother that weekend.

This link will take you to photos from the ride too.

Well, it's over and done with and we succeed in our first attempt at an Iron Butt "Saddle Sore 1000" (SS1K) ride. I rode it with my buddy, Bill Neuendorf. We both have similar riding styles and personalities - important since you are spending that long together on a ride.

We were shooting to complete it in 20 hours and finished in 21 hours and 13 minutes not too bad all things considered. We learned a lot of lessons about time management that we can apply the next time around, but finishing fast would have taken away from some of the "stopping to smell the roses" part of the trip. Also, this was not a speed SS1K ride like some people take on all interstate highway. This one was about 60% back roads and 40% highway with at least 4 mountain passes that I recall. Here's a link to the full route http://tiny.cc/j0ipi

We started out at 2 AM and finished at just after 11 pm that night and rode about 1039 miles. The organizers planned a beautiful route and took me to some places In WY and UT that I had not been before.

We made our 1st scheduled gas stop in Laramie, WY on time, but we felt the cold temps and knew we were in for more, so added the extra layers we had before heading back out and filled out our gas log (paperwork required to document the route). Don't know how it happened, well I do, but still hard to believe we ended up about 15 minutes behind leaving the 1st stop after arriving a few minutes early.

Unfortunately, the Snowy Mountain range part of the ride in WY was still in the dark but from what I could see in the moonlight, I want to go back and check it out again. BTW – it was 35F at the top of the pass and we weren't really prepared for that! Burr. We lost another 15 minutes getting to the second stop Walden, CO driving unfamiliar twisty mountain roads, watching out for animals (only saw one deer), and trying to stay warm.

So we arrived at our breakfast stop in Walden, CO at around 6:30 AM, and it was planned for 30 minutes, but ended up being closer to 90 minutes between slow service and changing clothing layers and from clear to dark face shields on our helmets. We never regained that hour and a half lost on the first two stops. Actually, each gas stop was planned for 10 minutes and I bet they took closer to 15-20 at each one, but that was needed time out of the saddle and well worth it.

SAFETY TOPIC!!! - just after the 600 mile mark near Price, UT, Bill's steel coffee mug popped out of its holder and came bouncing down the road at me, but I dodged it. Later that night, just after dusk as we were riding on I-70 in Glenwood Canyon, his half helmet was not well secured to the back of his bike and it came bouncing down the highway at me and hit my highway peg, but bounce off with no ill effects - other than losing a nice helmet. After that one, I jokingly accused his of playing battleship and dropping "depth charges" at me! LOL

I won't bore you with all the other ride details, but I have to say and I think you'll see from the photos that this was a gorgeous route. The town of Vernal, UT had the streets line with beautiful flower baskets for at least 2 miles – a stunning scene in the middle of a semi-arid environment. The photos also show some of the twisty mountain roads and some of the long straight stretches.

Today as I sit here typing this, my butt feels surprisingly good, and I'd do it again without too many changes. For me, I'd rather this be about enjoying the ride than being the first one back. The guy who did it in the least amount of time did it in 14 hrs / 43 min, 70% of the time predicted by Mapquest, which means he must have been hauling ass, not eating, and probably had an external fuel tank for less stops too – what fun is that? It's not a race for prize money – it's an adventure!

·
Registered
15 Posts
In June of 2007, I rode a 2006 Gold Wing from Birmingham, AL to Las Vegas, NV in 40 hours. The total distance was 1847 miles. I got an IBA 1500 in 36 hours award for that one. I did 1156 miles day one. Spent the night in Santa Rosa, NM. Next year, I plan on doing it again on my 2011 Ultra via Denver so I can cross the Rockies up there. I'm planning on 3 days out this time.

Really looking ahead, I am planning on Birmingham to the Arctic Circle in the summer of 2014.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Some of these rides are impressive. My brother and I have done several unofficial iron butts. Couple on a old triumph.(In my 20's) But we just got back a couple weeks ago from a trip out west 3880 miles in 7 days Wasnt bad at all except for the heat. But with my 10'' apes and my fluffy air zeppelin my wife and I were very comfortable she suggested we do a official iron butt. Is there anything for the passengers who do this? And do any of you know where to download the documents? Thanks in advance

·
Registered
105 Posts
Some of these rides are impressive. My brother and I have done several unofficial iron butts. Couple on a old triumph.(In my 20's) But we just got back a couple weeks ago from a trip out west 3880 miles in 7 days Wasnt bad at all except for the heat. But with my 10'' apes and my fluffy air zeppelin my wife and I were very comfortable she suggested we do a official iron butt. Is there anything for the passengers who do this? And do any of you know where to download the documents? Thanks in advance
http://www.ironbutt.com/ridecerts/

·
Registered
478 Posts
I did the 'Saddlesore 1000' in 2007 riding from Tomahawk, WI to Winston-Salem, NC (1052 miles). I did it alone and would most likely do it that way again. If I did it with anyone else, it would have to be just one person.....and NO WHINING!

·
Registered
303 Posts
Last year I rode 4000 miles in 5 days, on my Fatboy.

Two friends and I started out with the goal of a Iron Butt Challenge in the 1000, 1500, or 2000 range.

We logged our 1000 in about 18.5 hours.
We logged our 1500 in just under 33 hours.
We logged our 2000 in 45 hours.

My bike started having serious steering issues. We had to stop to service my bike. That took a considerable amount of time. After that, we slowed down and enjoyed some country but kept going.

4000 miles in 5 days, enjoyed Sturgis for the better part of a week and all in all I logged 5000 miles on the trip.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I did the Saddle Sore 1000 on Saturday, 6/27/2020, with a couple friends. We rode from Marseilles, IL, to Waco, NE, and back in just under 16.5 hours. This was all interstate highway riding with average speeds varying between 78 - 83 mph. We did hit a couple brief patches of rain, but the weather cooperated most of the day. I did it on a 2019 Road Glide with a 15" Freedom Sport Touring Shield and Le Pera Maverick Daddy Long Legs with a sheepskin pad. I felt pretty good at the end, but I will admit to some left ischium soreness. :D

·
Registered
160 Posts
I'm not stranger to the +600 mi days. Bout broke the ol lady coming back from TN last week and putting 700 mi in about 12 hrs which 2.5hrs and 80 miles of that was spent between Knoxville, TN and Lexington, KY in traffic which I had no choice but to cave to my european blood and split a lane to get passed some idiots racing up the mountain going the speed limit with a train for +30 cars following them. Roughly Townsend, TN to Rock Island, IL......joked with her on our last stop for gas by asking her if she wanted to hang in for another 300mi when we'd get to Rock Island so we could complete the iron butt. She didn't even laugh.....ha ha ha ha I love my wife first time on a trip like that and she was an absolute champ about it. Had we completed the Iron Butt, we would have been across the whole state of Iowa. I would have done it if I'd been alone just to say that I did it. Kinda heartbreaking knowing it was at my finger tips but not as heartbreaking as her not wanting to ride behind me ever again had I put her through it.

Reactions: W0LFGANG and Zedbra

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
I did the Saddle Sore 1000 on Saturday, 6/27/2020, with a couple friends. We rode from Marseilles, IL, to Waco, NE, and back in just under 16.5 hours. This was all interstate highway riding with average speeds varying between 78 - 83 mph. We did hit a couple brief patches of rain, but the weather cooperated most of the day. I did it on a 2019 Road Glide with a 15" Freedom Sport Touring Shield and Le Pera Maverick Daddy Long Legs with a sheepskin pad. I felt pretty good at the end, but I will admit to some left ischium soreness. :D
Coincidence, I did my first IB Saturday, 6/27 also w/ some friends. Spartanburg, SC to Hagerstown, MD and back. Right at 17 hours - was great ride!

Reactions: W0LFGANG

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm not stranger to the +600 mi days. Bout broke the ol lady coming back from TN last week and putting 700 mi in about 12 hrs which 2.5hrs and 80 miles of that was spent between Knoxville, TN and Lexington, KY in traffic which I had no choice but to cave to my european blood and split a lane to get passed some idiots racing up the mountain going the speed limit with a train for +30 cars following them. Roughly Townsend, TN to Rock Island, IL......joked with her on our last stop for gas by asking her if she wanted to hang in for another 300mi when we'd get to Rock Island so we could complete the iron butt. She didn't even laugh.....ha ha ha ha I love my wife first time on a trip like that and she was an absolute champ about it. Had we completed the Iron Butt, we would have been across the whole state of Iowa. I would have done it if I'd been alone just to say that I did it. Kinda heartbreaking knowing it was at my finger tips but not as heartbreaking as her not wanting to ride behind me ever again had I put her through it.
I passed by Rock Island myself on our quest! My previous high was in the 500-600 range, I believe. But, yes, very impressive of your wife to stick it out for that many miles on the passenger seat!

Coincidence, I did my first IB Saturday, 6/27 also w/ some friends. Spartanburg, SC to Hagerstown, MD and back. Right at 17 hours - was great ride!
Nice. That looks like a much more interesting route than I took! (y)

·
Registered
922 Posts
Alright, that vid is making me motivated to get one of these done. I have a few friends interested in joining, so I'm hoping to get this done over the next few months.

41 - 60 of 60 Posts