Road Glide banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Figured I would post this in the rides section for fun.

Leaving in about an hour to attempt the first of the Iron Butt Challenges
Saddle Sore - 1000 miles in less than 24 Hours. Heading out with a co-worker of mine who rides a gold wing.

Heading from Boston out the mass pike, taking I-90 across new york to Dunkirk right on lake Erie. Planning on stopping for an hour or two there for lunch. Leaving and heading south to Jamestown, NY taking the 80s interstates back across to I-90 and back to Boston on the mass pike.

Leaving at 6am hoping to be home by 1am.

Will post results and hopefully some pictures when I am home.

for those who have never heard of it here is a link to the website for the IBA, there are some very challenging rides on the list.
http://www.ironbutt.com/about/default.cfm

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Be safe! Dont forget the monkey butt powder!

·
Registered
226 Posts
Hope you had a great ride! I was soft scheduled to do a 1000/24 on the 21st of this month, but after a recent non-stop 1100 mile drive from Southeast Washington to Denver in my nice comfortable Avalanche, I had to ask myself...why on earth would I ever want to do that on a bike! ;)

In reality, I would still like to do it, but not sure I'll ever be able to convince myself to. I've done lots of 600 mile day rides, and that's about far enough for me. I don't really like interstates anyway, and the Iron Butt run is all interstates!

Hope you had a great time and got home safe and sound!

·
Registered
955 Posts
Congrats on your first one. It's really not as hard as most think it is. This is the time of year to do it, as close to the summer solstice (21 June) as possible. Longest day of the year and all.

I've got 6 IBA certifications plus 1 more SS1000 I got on another ride that I didn't turn in paperwork for. These certifications are like tattoos, you'll always want another.

My resume'.

Texas Saddlesore 1000 (all miles ridden in Texas)
SS1000
Bun Burner 1500/ under 36 hrs.
Border to Border/ 36 (Mexico to Canada under 36 hrs)
Texas SS1000 (second one).
National Parks Tour/ Master Traveler (min 50 National Parks in at least 25 states in under 12 months).

All were on the Deuce, except the NPT which was done on both bikes. 12 months seems like plenty of time to do it but of over 40k IBA members only 320 had done it before I did.

I'm considering a RAT next- Ride Around Texas, 80 hours. Or maybe a 50cc, coast to coast under 50 hrs.

·
Registered
303 Posts
You're gonna love it. After my first 1000 in 24 I only wanted to do more. I haven't sent my stuff in to get the certificate but have done a few and have all my doccumentation.

HAVE FUN! Pics and stories when you get done.

·
Registered
569 Posts
first 1000

did my first one 3 years ago, Spokane to Sturgis in 13 hours on a yamaha Warrior. I was tired and sore, but it was worth it. My buddies did it on Harley touring bikes and it looked much more comfortable for them. Good luck pack for any weather.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
I don't need no stinkn' "Certificate" to know I ride. lol :cool:

Thought about getting one once. But they want too much stuff to verify the ride. I just want to ride. So why worry.
I ride over 1k/section every year on my trips between Tennessee and California.
In June I will leave June 16 from CA. My first stop (beside gas) is Oklahoma City.
Then a short ride to Tennessee to pick up my friend. Then to SWII.
Maybe on the way back I will make the entire trip from TN back to CA in one stretch?:rolleyes:?

Looking like a Great Ride ahead. :D

·
Registered
955 Posts
The documentation isn't that difficult. Kind of a PITA, but it's worth it. Just get a witness on start and finish, keep all of your gas receipts and log your mileage.

It's a cool "organization" to belong to I think.

Last year in the Ironbutt Rally a RGU entered. He was a DNF. Beemers seem to win these things for some reason.

This rally is like 13 days and over 13,000 miles. The toughest of the tough, man. Amazing acts of endurance and tenacity. If I was 15 years younger....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Made it safely, left my house at 5:50am Saturday and was home at 12:20 am Sunday. 1-90 west through mass was nice, not too hot or cold, hit NY and got into a little rain, stopped to get the rain gear on which was a wise decision. 50+ miles of downpour, then another 50 or so miles of sun to dry the bike off followed by rain the rest of the way to dunkirk. Grabbed some lunch there around 2:30pm just over 500 miles down. Took 60 south to jamestown in the sun, hopped on I-86 east which I advice people to avoid the first 10-20 miles of. It was full of frost heaves, only part of the trip where my back complained. Continued up to I-88 to I-90 and home, hit one 5 min sprinkle on the way home. The return trip was much warmer and nicer which I was thankful for.

Total trip was 1071 miles. We are already planning to do another one. Maybe with no rain next time.

Bikes parked for lunch

She got a little dirty from all the rain and I think I may be wanted for mass murder in 2 states, lots of bugs to clean off

thanks sancho for keeping these bugs off my knees and for keeping the buffeting to a minimum

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
And some photos of her all cleaned up (these were before the trip, it will look like the as soon as I re-detail her.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Very cool, congratulations! Wasn't too dang hard, was it?

This is a busy time of year for the IBA volunteers that verify all of the mileage. A lot of folks sending in their paperwork for rides during these long days of sunlight. It may take 6+ weeks to get your stuff back from them, but that's a formality at this point.

Consider taking on the National Parks Tour. There are so many National Parks Service facilities in your part of the country, you could probably knock out 50- 60% of it on day trips and weekends. You'll also be supporting our National Parks and seeing some of America's richest treasures.

Welcome to the IBA!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts