Road Glide banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, I know there is a Dyno page, but this isn't a numbers question. I have been going back and forth on what tuner to get for my bike.
I have an offer of $1000 for a TTS install and a Dyno.
For about $1100 I can get a Thundermax. I have talked to a few old timer HD mechanics that are not fans of (their words) "how much a Dyno beats up a bike"
Do you think that a Dyno can be hard on the bike.
I have just opened a can of worms here, but all info is good info

·
Super Moderator
12,428 Posts
I don't know how hard a dyno is on a bike, but I know if you call Frank at Dragos he can get you a TMax much cheaper and answer your questions about the dyno.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I'd rather have my bike running correctly. I feel that is much easier on the bike in the long run than to run a tune that may be substandard. I also feel that if my motor is going to present problems, then I'd rather have them show up on a dyno than out on a long ride.

Bikes get dyno'ed day in and day out. You are never going to ride a bike and put as much stress on a bike during normal riding than when its on a dyno. So, yes, a dyno is somewhat hard on a bike. But that certainly should not deter you from having one performed on your bike.

·
Registered
6,572 Posts
Well there is a reason the dealer will have you sign a form releasing them of any responsibility if your bike blows up.
Yes a dyno can be hard on the engine also many dyno techs will not take the time to dyno tune through the entire RPM range and will only tune at high RPM just to show you big HP/torque numbers. In most cases big numbers make for a happy customer even though their bike may not run right when doing normal riding.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
There isn't any difference running your bike on a dyno than riding on the street. For example... a dyno pull is like a run from 2k rpm to redline. That's the same as if you were running from 2k to redline on the steet. It won't hurt a thing.

And that piece of paper you sign is to release any liability if something happens outside of there control. It's just like when you go to surgery the hospital has you sign a liability forms.

If your bike blows up on the dyno you have a really shitty tuner or your motor is trashed before the dyno. Anything can happen but if it happens on the dyno it would of done it on the street.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts