Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am interested in adding the inner fairing speakers to my setup. I know an amp would work best, but if I can't afford one now, can the factory hk go 4 channel?

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
8,609 Posts
Yes but it needs to be turned on by the dealer I've heard.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Do you have an ultra or custom?

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
A firmware update by the dealer and you are good to go~you will have "fade"

·
Registered
4,299 Posts
the radio will have 4 channel output, but may have to be flashed for the fader operation to work. some have added speakers and their fader was already activated.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Yes but it needs to be turned on by the dealer I've heard.
All four speakers are active from the factory. Just not pluged in.
The only thing the Dealer Activation does is enable the "Fader" control.
Go throught the Audio controls and look to see if "Fader" shows up on the display.
If it does, you don't need the Dealer activation, just the speaker wires pluged int he housing.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It is an '08 and NOT an Ultra. not sure about the custom part though.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
8,609 Posts
All four speakers are active from the factory. Just not pluged in.
The only thing the Dealer Activation does is enable the "Fader" control.
Go throught the Audio controls and look to see if "Fader" shows up on the display.
If it does, you don't need the Dealer activation, just the speaker wires pluged int he housing.
Where is the fade button?

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
Where is the fade button?
Gary, I believe that you hold in the volume button on the left control.
That will bring you to the bass, treble, balance, volume settings.
I think the fade setting is in there also.
If it's not there its not activated.
Anyone please correct me if I am wrong.
Thanks!
Mike U.

·
Registered
8,609 Posts
Gary, I believe that you hold in the volume button on the left control.
That will bring you to the bass, treble, balance, volume settings.
I think the fade setting is in there also.
If it's not there its not activated.
Anyone please correct me if I am wrong.
Thanks!
Mike U.
Ya that's what I thought. I don't have fade or balance. You would think everything should be activated regardless of having two or four speakers.

·
Registered
8,609 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
bottom left of the menu screen is a blank spot where I would assume balance and/or fade could go. How much does the stealership cost to plug their computer in and "miraculously bring the dead back to life?" If it is over about $25 bucks, I'd spend hundreds on a complete new aftermarket system just to give them the old 1-2.

·
Registered
8,609 Posts
bottom left of the menu screen is a blank spot where I would assume balance and/or fade could go. How much does the stealership cost to plug their computer in and "miraculously bring the dead back to life?" If it is over about $25 bucks, I'd spend hundreds on a complete new aftermarket system just to give them the old 1-2.
I hear 1/2 hour. So probably around $50 after the Governor's share.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
does anybody know what power output the HK is putting out per channel at 2ohm?

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
The dealer is charged by Corporate for each "Download" they use (except the Fader download, which is programed in the Harley Technician). When I had my radio Fader control put in my radio, I asked when I was in for regular service. They installed it at "No Charge".
does anybody know what power output the HK is putting out per channel at 2ohm?
If memory serves, the Harley radio is 80W total into 4 channel. So it is 20 watts per speaker.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Ya that's what I thought. I don't have fade or balance. You would think everything should be activated regardless of having two or four speakers.
It is. But your stock wiring may not include pins that carry the other two (rear) channels. When I added an extra set of speakers in my front fairing, I had to buy an Ultra wiring connector to take advantage of the rear outputs. But to answer the OP's question, all front and rear outputs are active from the factory. You can adjust the right/left balance, but as discussed above, you can't fade between front/rear (which is useless with all 4 in the front fairing anyway)

·
Registered
83 Posts
The dealer is charged by Corporate for each "Download" they use (except the Fader download, which is programed in the Harley Technician). When I had my radio Fader control put in my radio, I asked when I was in for regular service. They installed it at "No Charge".

If memory serves, the Harley radio is 80W total into 4 channel. So it is 20 watts per speaker.
+1 dealer enabled fader and firmware durring 20K service at no charge, originally said it would cost $85 when I asked for fader enable only.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts