Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is just me or do others find the wrist angle weird on the 2018 Road glide specials?? I feel like I'm riding a kids tricycle. With my hands in that position it feels like mt wrists are turned out. I'm not sure if it's because I came off of a Breakout with drag bars or use to my mx bike? I feel like your hands should be on a much more neutral position out front, in a power position (like doing a bench press). I must be missing something because when I measure what I think is ideal pull back I come up with about 5" but most bars are 8-12". Are those bars more comfortable in long rides?

·
Registered
914 Posts
Mine is a 17, but I have no trouble with wrist angle. They are comfortable to me. I don?t like the look tho.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
My 15 RGS was killing me. Carpal tunnel kicked in after 10 min. Changed to 17 Road King bars. About a inch higher and almost no pull back.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
And this is why so many of us have changed out our bars. I went with Road 6 Customs and they are much more comfortable.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Lived with the tricycle bars for 10,000 miles on my 17 RGS. Loved the bike but kept trying to get hack from the handlebars so I could get comfortable. Put on my Factory 47 grips that changed the wrist angle to more natural, got my elbows away from my side and it was like I bought a new, much improved bike.

Biggest problem now is the new positioning seems to make me want to ride much more aggressively. The local state police take a dim view on that.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Lived with the tricycle bars for 10,000 miles on my 17 RGS. Loved the bike but kept trying to get hack from the handlebars so I could get comfortable. Put on my Factory 47 grips that changed the wrist angle to more natural, got my elbows away from my side and it was like I bought a new, much improved bike.

Biggest problem now is the new positioning seems to make me want to ride much more aggressively. The local state police take a dim view on that.
Funny how a bar change or a shock change will do that.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
The RGUs are a little different, but I love mine.

That said, to me a proper cruiser should have buckhorn style handlebars.
Buckhorns look cool but are the worst for my wrists. 10 miles and I can feel it. Apes with very little pull back and I'll do a 600 mile day.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My 15 RGS was killing me. Carpal tunnel kicked in after 10 min. Changed to 17 Road King bars. About a inch higher and almost no pull back.

Hey Buzzy, do you have to reach for thos bars because of the lesser pullback?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Hi Rider17, do you feel like your wrists are still angled out a bit on those bars, like the bars should be straighter?? I took a piece of 34" long pipe and bent the ends at 10" until I had my wrists straight holding the bar out in front of me to simulate what I think would feel natural. The pull back is only about 5.5" and the closer you pull the bar the straighter it needs to be but I see lots of handlebars listed as around 8??

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Replaced my bars with a set from JSR Customs. Much improved. I can go all day now. Stock bars about a half hour in my shoulder was killing me.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Hi Rider17, do you feel like your wrists are still angled out a bit on those bars, like the bars should be straighter?? I took a piece of 34" long pipe and bent the ends at 10" until I had my wrists straight holding the bar out in front of me to simulate what I think would feel natural. The pull back is only about 5.5" and the closer you pull the bar the straighter it needs to be but I see lots of handlebars listed as around 8??

Nope. I have them rotated quite a way forward so I’m leaning into the bike a bit and my wrists are only slightly angled outside. It feels very neutral and comfortable. I think the more you rotate back the more your elbows come in and wrists go out. Keeping the elbows out from the body seriously aids the low speed handling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Hey Buzzy, do you have to reach for thos bars because of the lesser pullback?
Nope, I think the inch higher helps offset the short pullback. But the thumb side would be about the same, so. ..... .. ? I just love not having my wrists cocked. I might have them at a different angle that stock, I tried to line them up with the forks for neutral steer.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I done this on other bikes but have not tried it yet on the RGS. How did you get the ends to be symmetrical? How did it feel after you bent the bars?

·
Registered
296 Posts
If or when (more likely the latter) I change bars, right now I'd probably go with Factory 47 Signature 12". The stock bars are starting to seem a bit low but nothing bad.

·
Super Moderator
12,295 Posts
I went through 3 sets of bars on my 17 before I felt really comfortable, stock, 10" apes, custom drag style bar, and finally 14" apes. The three all feel better than stock. The 10" apes were good for my posture, but I wanted to be more relaxed.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts