Road Glide banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just noticed today that my right side shock looks to be installed upside down. Service manual says install with both rods down. 2016 RGS

Attachments

·
Registered
927 Posts
No they can be installed like that. One thing to note is if you add the quick detach brackets for sissy bar you will need to flip it.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, already turned it around. Backrest does go on better now.

·
Registered
341 Posts
One of them is upside down. I would think if there is oil in them, it would leak if upside down. The other shock can be seen through the wheel.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Separator Piston

The hand adjustable shock would need to be separated (Separator Piston) in order to work. If these shocks are emulsified (oil & nitrogen mixed together) than the answer is no. One day I will remove a pair of these hand adjustable take offs out of the garbage and take them apart to document what is inside of them. I will also rate the springs. I am 100% sure that the springs are way too "week" for heaver set, well fed American riders. I also have a shock dyno to graph the resistance and performance. One more thing to do once I have the time.

IF your shocks are emulsified, if you turn it over, all of the oil is than on top of the shock cylinder and not where the piston is. I do not know if these are made as a twin tube design either which will still not matter. The only way someone can know is by taking them apart. Of course you can always count on your local Harley Technician at the dealership for the correct and Knowledge answers on such things.

·
Registered
6,520 Posts
Just noticed today that my right side shock looks to be installed upside down. Service manual says install with both rods down. 2016 RGS
They are only installed like that on the newer RED Models

Just kidding.

Flip that bad boy.

Swomack

·
Registered
177 Posts
The left side (adjustable) shock on my '17 had the body up. On the right side, the other shock had the body down and the stickers were put on so that you could read them in this position. I reinstalled them on a shelf in my garage in case I ever want to trade bikes and need to take the Ohlins I got from Howard off... The original shocks are doing much better on the shelf than they did on the bike.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts