Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 5 speed RG will cruise all day in 4th gear at 70mph. Often times I forget to even put it in 5th gear. Given that shifting gears is a general PITA, why would I even want a 6 speed transmission? Honestly, I think the 5 is better. What do you think?

·
Registered
564 Posts
I had an 03 FLHP with the 88 and I always wanted the extra gear on the highway.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Bet your MPG sucks...Literally. Lower RPMs, bike runs cooler, etc. When I got my cams changed my 5th, and especially my 6th gear woke right up. I run 6th gear all the time.

·
Registered
562 Posts
6th gear. Oh ya!

Had an 04 electraglide with a 6 speed. I wouldnt consider a roadtrip bagger without it.The 6 speed you will be turning around 2950 RPM at 80.Basically dropping your rpms down by 500. If you riding in 4th at 70 MPH you are in the torque area, fun to ride, but tougher on the motor, cant do that on a road trip all day. When riding around town, I too will use 4 for some speed and torque, then double shift from 4 to 6 when getting out of town on the back roads or big slab. Ride one with the 6 speed and you will believe its worth it.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
my 02 Dyna always felt like I needed to shift when I got up to speed on the highway.My 2012 RGU does about 10 mpg better with the 103 then the little dyna with an 88.

is the six speed better? no question!

·
Registered
875 Posts
I occassionally look for the 7th gear, once I do the cams and top end, I will prolly want a 7th gear.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I just went from a 5 speed on a 2005 Electra Glide to a 6 speed on a 2012 Road Glide and there is a big difference. Less vibration, less motor noise and smooth. You can cruise on your bike at 70 in 4th? What RPM?

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
43 Posts
Depends on your riding. Two-lane twisties and I'd never use it. Where I find that I appreciate the 6th gear is when I have to jump on the super-slab and hit 65 mph or above. Over a long-haul it smooths things out and makes for a much nicer ride.

Local Service Mgr was funny one day. A customer smarted off he didn't like the 6 speed and the Svc Mgr just said "Don't use it; its just a 5 speed tranny with 1 more gear that lowers the rpms so if you don't like the 6-speed never shift to the 6th gear and you got a 5 speed."

·
Registered
23 Posts
Ya think?!! Lol

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
Without even considering fuel efficiency, it's much kinder to the motor to run in 6th at 70 mph+. If I was looking to replace my perfectly good tranny, I'd be bolting in a Baker DD7.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I typically use 6th gear on the interstates or open four lanes. Touring bike to me means going somewhere beyond the local twisties, and I would never consider "trading down" to a five-speed.

·
Registered
944 Posts

I know that on my '62, I sure want a 5th gear. 4 gears limits it. It just doesn't seem to cruise at freeway speeds.

On other bikes I've owned, 5 gears were cool, I just didn't think about it much.

Now, on the RG, I wouldn't give up 6th gear. I love rolling down the road with the motor just humming along instead of screaming at me.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Wow, what a bunch of loafers.
My '01 Ultra Classic was 5 speed, with the early EFI 3.37 gearing which raised the rpm another 300 or so above the 3.15 geared carb'd models. This meant that at 80mph the motor was turning 3600rpm. I did alot of 80mph interstate riding on trips with no problems whatsoever. At 60mph the engine just sounded "right".

Although it's better after the cam install, I still rarely run my RGU in 6th gear unless I'm over 70mph,or on a dead flat road. Just doesn't sound right running at 2500rpm or less.

·
Registered
7,203 Posts
id kinda like to know where the RPMs are while running in 4th gear at 70mph on a 5 speed

1 - 20 of 93 Posts