Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That's the question. Is there any bluetooth helmet headset that works with the 2015 Boom system. There are interfaces which work with the Sena 10 system, but I can't find anything to work with the handlebar controls. I know about the programming limitations of the system. It just seems to me someone would make a better adapter.

·
Registered
743 Posts
I spoke to a Sena R&D guy a few days ago. They are testing some things at Orange County Harley Davidson in California right now. They expect to roll it out before the spring riding season. That was as specific as he would get...

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
I spoke to a Sena R&D guy a few days ago. They are testing some things at Orange County Harley Davidson in California right now. They expect to roll it out before the spring riding season. That was as specific as he would get...

Nice! I spoke with Sena last year about this as part of a "petition" since they weren't interested in doing any development on one for Rushmore bikes. Perhaps the "petition" worked?! :grin:

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That could be good news.

·
Registered
67 Posts
That's the question. Is there any bluetooth helmet headset that works with the 2015 Boom system. There are interfaces which work with the Sena 10 system, but I can't find anything to work with the handlebar controls. I know about the programming limitations of the system. It just seems to me someone would make a better adapter.
The Sierra Electronics Setup with Sena SMH-10 headsets works for me using the handlebar controls, voice commands, etc.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Will the Sierra system work with the Sena 20 headset? How is the audio with the system?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Will the Sierra system work with the Sena 20 headset? How is the audio with the system?
I suspect it does as I think the Sena 20 is backward compatible. You would connect the SMH-10 to the Sierra setup, then pair with your Sena 20. Sound is good, though to stream music in stereo you need the SM-10 connected to the Sierra hookup. I have Sena headsets for full face and half helmets. When in full face, I stream music to the headset. If a call comes in, I answer with handlebar controls and touch headset to toggle from music to phone (allows me to use the microphone). If half helmet, I like to listen to music through the fairing speakers, so I just have the headset for phone (though, of course, I could listen to music on that too).

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm using the AKE system out of Germany. So far it's working ok. Haven't used it for a phone call but do use it for voice commands.
Are there any US distributors? What did you have to do to interface with the system?

·
Registered
166 Posts
So the picture isn't real good, but you have to supply power and ground. Then once all set up it just plugs into the same wire that your headset would plug into. If your bike doesn't have the wire then you have to purchase it for your bike and install per HD directions.

·
Registered
743 Posts

Looks like he was talking about this...
"Freewire"
Supposed to be released in September.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Not to throw a wrench in the conversation, but the Road Glide Special doesn't come stock with a provision for microphone. Without a mic, you'll only be able to hear the phone call, but the person on the other end won't hear you.

Sad that the technology is there, but there's no exposed input for a mic. A standard Bluetooth headset connected to your phone makes a lot more sense than routing it thru the audio. But you don't have caller ID on your dash with that workaround. And you have to mute the audio manually.

When I feel the need for that electronic leash, I might just as well be in a cage. If I need to make a call, I'll pull over. And if anyone wants to call me, they can leave a voicemail.

Nothing's so important that I have to jeopardize my safety or that of those around me by fucking with the phone while riding. Which is what you see most of the idiots in cages doing anyway.

·
Registered
336 Posts
hifiho ,,,,,

for ALL 2014-2016 Harley StreetGlide & RoadGlide (non-Ultra) riders, this simple adapter cable, built by J&M, allows complete operation of the Harley Infotainment system, including TALKING over the Bluetooth linked cell phone at speed, from a corded headset HSPT-H14S Product Information ,,,,
Thanks for the info, John. But doesn't a corded headset kind of defeat the wireless link that Bluetooth provides? I've got no dog in this fight. Seems like the MoCo dropped the ball on this one.

And as I stated earlier- I don't need to be on the phone that badly. I just offered what little I know, regarding Bluetooth compatibility with MY model bike.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Here's how you fix this problem..........
Take your bike out on the road, run up to about 70mph, pull your phone out of your pocket and toss that MoFo over your left shoulder.
Increase speed to approx. 80mph, have a great day.

NOTHING that ANYONE has to tell me via phone can't wait 2 hours, ESPECIALLY when I'm out riding.

·
JMJOHN
1,002 Posts
hifiho ,,,,,,

I think that Harley did a magnificent job engineering the infotainment system on the 2014-2016 Rushmore bikes ,,,,,

NOTHING outperforms a top quality J&M elite series 787 helmet headset when connected to the Harley audio system ,,,,,

NOTHING provides the coordinated transition from music, to intercom, to cell phone and to CB radio (if installed) seamlessly like the J&M corded headset ,,,,, with NOTHING to toggle ,,,

NO OTHER helmet headset provides the audio clarity at speed, and communications excellence when talking over the Bluetooth linked cell phone ,,,,,

NO OTHER helmet headset of any type or brand does all of this WITH NO BATTERIES TO CHARGE or lose capacity after a year or two ,,,,

comparing ANY BLUETOOTH headset to the J&M corded elite series when connected to the Harley Infotainment system, or the Honda Gold Wing for that matter, is not even a horse-race ,,,,,

Bluetooth headsets only make any sense at all, for motorcycles that do NOT have an audio system built in ,,,,

more info including answering your cell phone ON-SCREEN with the Harley Infotainment system using the J&M 787 series headset, included in this short video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oVspqURTwo ,,,

1 - 20 of 27 Posts