Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My first post.... I think that the combination of Wood 777 cams and the D&D pipe is the best bang for the buck regardless of the tuner.
Some have thousands of dollars invested motors with Harley cams and only their stage 4 have a few more HP and TQ numbers than I have (see dyno). Personally I don't think that Harley performance cams are a very good return on investment. It is my understanding that Harley has to abide by EPA regulations and therefore, engineering substandard performance cams...
That's why I chose the aftermarket. For an $800.00 investment (cams installation) my scoot is nasty and I get 40mpg...I'm sure there is a better cost effective combination, but I haven't seen it from Harley. :cool:

Attachments

·
Registered
353 Posts
Nice numbers!! Hoping to get the same cam this spring. My numbers might be a lil lower due to CFR's. But can't beat the sound.

·
Registered
6,615 Posts
IMO the Woods TW222 are better cams for touring bike then the TW777.
The TW777 don't' break a 100 ft lbs of torque until the rpm hit 2700/2800 the TW 222 cams break 100 ft lb of torque around 2200 rpms which is more desirable for the heavier touring models. Both the 222 and 777 will produce 112+ ft lbs of torque in a stage 1 103 engine.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
I'm going to do 222's but need to see about a pipe and figure out if I'll do big bore and heads at the same time. If I'm taking a little of it apart, it might as well all be done at the same time.

Think I need to play the lottery tonight.

Drew

·
Registered
73 Posts
Pretty sure I'm in the minority here but I used an Andrews 57H, SuperTrapp Supermeg with 18 discs and closed end cap, Tmax tuner and big air cleaner on my traveling bike (2011 RGU). Not really interested in a race bike so this combination gives me all I need for a reliable ride. Tons of torque and sound levels I can live with. Loaded for extended trip it pulls like a train.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Just pulled the trigger on
D&D fat cat with Andrews 57 cams screamin eagle tuner and high flow air intake
Between shipping and installation I figure a few weeks then to dyno!
I'll keep you posted

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
528 Posts
I went with the 777 at first because I new I would be doing more. See sig below. Happy as can be. The 555 is just as good I think.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I only used the wood 777's because my builder, whom I will not mention his name, holds several drag racing records and personally knows Bob Wood. It was his recommendation on the cams. I noticed not one Harley cam set was mentioned which proves my 1st point. I picked up my D&D for $400.00 used from a Harley mech as well as the tuner (new $400.00). I was told that was the last year they made that particular performance baffle (2009). Yes, it is friggin loud...and with the cams, it sounds Nasty! I love it that way! I live in the sticks and I want all the animals in the tree line to hear me, especially the deer! So for a total of about $1,650 plus the stage 1 filter, I got a scoot that can burn up stage 3's and hang with the stage 4's...I know this because I am in an MC, and I have raced all of the the aforementioned....thus my second point: return on investment (ROI).
By the way, Q-Hog your bike looks great! I am about to post a thread on my apes. Your bike is one of the scoots that I studied Ad nauseam.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
One more shout out..ChivoChavez321 the way you built your ride, is exactly what I had in mind. I am surprised you don't have a backrest to keep yourself on your bike when you twist the throttle!!!!!:D

·
Registered
103 Posts
Very nice! Im currently trying to decide between Wood's 555 or 777 with D&D 2-1 with louvered baffle, PV2, and AC.
Short Time you are making me lean towards 777 :D

Thankz

·
Registered
103 Posts
anybody know of a good place with decent price for D&D exhaust??
thanks

·
Registered
140 Posts
Can anybody give any experience with motor longevity with a set of Woods 777's? Also, would the lifters, springs, etc need to be changed with this cam setup?

Thanks in advance.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts