Road Glide banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd love to put the RS/ZX system (Six Pack) in the fairing, but can't find a good solution for adding amplified tour pak pod speakers. I emailed Hawg-Wired customer support and they told me they do not offer a speaker/amp combo for tour pak pods.

Is there a reason for this? Are these truly ancillary speakers that will add no benefit while riding? J&M has Rokkers that fit there and run off their 4-channel amp.

Has anyone tried adding rears to the Six Pack system? I realize it'd be another amp as well. Just wondering if anyone has a good solution and products they recommend for this application.

Cheers,
G

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
I did see someone that had an adapter for the rear pods but I would have to search again. I didn't go for it because it looked so ridicules and it would in the way of a passenger. (speakers stick way out of the pod)

Hogtunes rear speakers handle 50 watt RMS, 100 watt peak

Im sure there are other 5.25 speakers out there that can handle more power but the remaining questions are
1) weather resistant??
2) depth of the speaker??

Personally, when funds allow, I think Im going the Saddlebag speaker route instead.

just my .015 :)

·
Banned
845 Posts
I just got 4 Polk Audio DXI651's...... two for the front and 2 for the pods... I test fit them in the pods and they do fit no problem.... they dont match up to the already drilled holes so I will need to get some self tapping screws to install them but they fit in the holes.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did see someone that had an adapter for the rear pods but I would have to search again. I didn't go for it because it looked so ridicules and it would in the way of a passenger. (speakers stick way out of the pod)

Hogtunes rear speakers handle 50 watt RMS, 100 watt peak

Im sure there are other 5.25 speakers out there that can handle more power but the remaining questions are
1) weather resistant??
2) depth of the speaker??

Personally, when funds allow, I think Im going the Saddlebag speaker route instead.

just my .015 :)
I hear ya. I just can't give up the saddlebag space. When the wife and I travel two up, we need all the room for storage. I'd like to keep it to the stock speaker locations. I'm also not keen on having the speakers stick out further than stock. I've seen custom tour pak pods that house larger speakers but haven't seen much in the way of reviews.

I'm not even sure I need the rear speakers with the Six Pack powerhouse in the fairing. What did you put in the fairing that you will add to later? Always curious to see what people think isn't "enough".

Thanks,
G

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just got 4 Polk Audio DXI651's...... two for the front and 2 for the pods... I test fit them in the pods and they do fit no problem.... they dont match up to the already drilled holes so I will need to get some self tapping screws to install them but they fit in the holes.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
Hey Scootin...what are you driving them with? Or just stock replacements?

Thanks,
G

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Solved

Talked to the guys up at V-Twin Audio after referral from Hawg-Wired. They have an adapter for the rears to allow for the Hawg-Wired ZX speakers and also offer a vent kit to port the tour pak pods into the Tour Pak to improve bass response. Sounds like a good system. The quote I received had the following items to complete the system:

HWSixPack RS/ZX with power harness and adapter rings 699.95
VTTP6.5 Tour-pak 6.5" speaker adapters 89.95
VTTPV V-Twin Audio, Tour-pak vent kit 49.95
HWZX654.100 Hawg Wired 6.5" speaker (rear speakers) 199.95
HWRS400 Hawg-Wired 2x200watt amplifier (rear speakers) 399.95
VTRAM Road Glide amp mount, left/right (each) 29.95 x2 59.90
SHIPPING Shipping Charges 5.00 x7 35.00
Estimate: $1,534.65

I think I can get better pricing on some of the HW gear elsewhere, but this is the list they recommended for us Ultra riders.

Cheers,
G

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
I hear ya. I just can't give up the saddlebag space. When the wife and I travel two up, we need all the room for storage. I'd like to keep it to the stock speaker locations. I'm also not keen on having the speakers stick out further than stock. I've seen custom tour pak pods that house larger speakers but haven't seen much in the way of reviews.

I'm not even sure I need the rear speakers with the Six Pack powerhouse in the fairing. What did you put in the fairing that you will add to later? Always curious to see what people think isn't "enough".

Thanks,

G

I'm going to give the new system a chance on the highway ( if it ever stops snowing!!!) and see if I really want more or not. I did test it in the garage and it was much louder than the Hogtunes. I'm running 2 Hawg-wired rs400's for the front (with lowers and all Hawg-wired ZX speakers) and figured I could add a third for rear speakers if I ever want more.
Im still undecided. I figured I'll hear what others have done at Sharkweek. ;).

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm going to give the new system a chance on the highway ( if it ever stops snowing!!!) and see if I really want more or not. I did test it in the garage and it was much louder than the Hogtunes. I'm running 2 Hawg-wired rs400's for the front (with lowers and all Hawg-wired ZX speakers) and figured I could add a third for rear speakers if I ever want more.
Im still undecided. I figured I'll hear what others have done at Sharkweek. ;).

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Heck...we're both in NY. We could meet somewhere and compare notes once you've had an opportunity to test yours on the highway and I've had a chance to install. And...yeah...I hear you about the snow...calling for 7-12" tomorrow up here. I'm soooo done. Let's get spring moving!

Cheers,
G

·
Registered
99 Posts
Talked to the guys up at V-Twin Audio after referral from Hawg-Wired. They have an adapter for the rears to allow for the Hawg-Wired ZX speakers and also offer a vent kit to port the tour pak pods into the Tour Pak to improve bass response. Sounds like a good system. The quote I received had the following items to complete the system:

HWSixPack RS/ZX with power harness and adapter rings 699.95
VTTP6.5 Tour-pak 6.5" speaker adapters 89.95
VTTPV V-Twin Audio, Tour-pak vent kit 49.95
HWZX654.100 Hawg Wired 6.5" speaker (rear speakers) 199.95
HWRS400 Hawg-Wired 2x200watt amplifier (rear speakers) 399.95
VTRAM Road Glide amp mount, left/right (each) 29.95 x2 59.90
SHIPPING Shipping Charges 5.00 x7 35.00
Estimate: $1,534.65

I think I can get better pricing on some of the HW gear elsewhere, but this is the list they recommended for us Ultra riders.

Cheers,
G
I always wondered why with the exception of plug n play people are so thrilled with hawg wired and J&M. I have heard both of their top setups for RGU's and think there is better sound by piecing it together.

I am running:
2-soundstream pn4.520d amps mounted in fairing(size of pbr's) 4x130 rms on meter each 2 ohms 1040w(supposedly) 2x$100 shipped amazon
1-Infinity Reference 6030cs 6.5 component set up front with tweets in gauge holes $95 sonic electronics shipped
1-Infinity 529I 5.25" set in tour pack pods $75 sonic shipped
4-Kicker DS693 6"x9" 3-Way Speakers hogtunes lids and inner bags $110 amazon shipped
1-hawgwired fairing adapters $39 shipped amazon
2-hawgwired amp mounts in fairing $70 amazon shipped
VTTPV V-Twin Audio, Tour-pak vent kit 49.95 vtwin shipped

So doing that math...I am into it for $639
add the head unit Pioneer DEH-X8600BH $159 shipped sonic
add the hawgwired radio kit $199 shipped
add my Hogtunes lids $279 shipped eastern performance
factor in multistage paint to match lids $250(I painted whole bike)

I am now at $1526 shipped kit and caboodle

Given I could of done plug and play...settled for less, but I didn't want to settle. I also sold my whole harmon kardon setup with cb, boom mics, etc. for $500 on ebay...so it helps. I understand, a lot of guys use the cb and intercom, but if not, use Bluetooth helmets or something...pair ur radio and go. Sorry for the long post, just hate seeing guys that work hard for their money succumb to the specialty parts "made for our bikes only". whatever you decide...enjoy it...

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I always wondered why with the exception of plug n play people are so thrilled with hawg wired and J&M. I have heard both of their top setups for RGU's and think there is better sound by piecing it together.

I am running:
2-soundstream pn4.520d amps mounted in fairing(size of pbr's) 4x130 rms on meter each 2 ohms 1040w(supposedly) 2x$100 shipped amazon
1-Infinity Reference 6030cs 6.5 component set up front with tweets in gauge holes $95 sonic electronics shipped
1-Infinity 529I 5.25" set in tour pack pods $75 sonic shipped
4-Kicker DS693 6"x9" 3-Way Speakers hogtunes lids and inner bags $110 amazon shipped
1-hawgwired fairing adapters $39 shipped amazon
2-hawgwired amp mounts in fairing $70 amazon shipped
VTTPV V-Twin Audio, Tour-pak vent kit 49.95 vtwin shipped

So doing that math...I am into it for $639
add the head unit Pioneer DEH-X8600BH $159 shipped sonic
add the hawgwired radio kit $199 shipped
add my Hogtunes lids $279 shipped eastern performance
factor in multistage paint to match lids $250(I painted whole bike)

I am now at $1526 shipped kit and caboodle

Given I could of done plug and play...settled for less, but I didn't want to settle. I also sold my whole harmon kardon setup with cb, boom mics, etc. for $500 on ebay...so it helps. I understand, a lot of guys use the cb and intercom, but if not, use Bluetooth helmets or something...pair ur radio and go. Sorry for the long post, just hate seeing guys that work hard for their money succumb to the specialty parts "made for our bikes only". whatever you decide...enjoy it...
Have you had any issues with the Soundstream amps? I believe I read on another forum that there was interference with FM reception. Just curious if you experienced the same issue. I know HW has gone through some work to shield the digital switching from interfering with FM. In a car audio application, there is more room to separate the two. Let me know if you've had any problems with reception.

Cheers,
G

1 - 15 of 15 Posts