Road Glide banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 08 with a 96" motor . going to start it I will get an intermittent gnashing sound . I am assuming it is the compensator but seeing as these are not free, I'd like to test it before dropping coin on it and having it be something else like the starter clutch. Thanks in advance , M

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
If you have an intermittent knock in your primary. It's bad. There is no testing it. Only replacing it. My 08 had it when I rode it out of the showroom with 6 miles on it. They were pretty much junk from day 1. So mileage means nothing on the older bikes. Are you the original owner? If not it's likely been changed already. Switch to the direct drive sprocket. I am. My 16 with 20k is starting to knock. I wont be putting anything but the direct drive sprocket in.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Go to you tube and look up Harley compensator. Look for the one that says “clunkity klunk” and see if the noise is similar. It has an illustration of the guts too, which helps to make sense of the noise. I think the only real test is someone knowledgeable looking (tearing) in to it. Good luck!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Go to you tube and look up Harley compensator. Look for the one that says “clunkity klunk” and see if the noise is similar. It has an illustration of the guts too, which helps to make sense of the noise. I think the only real test is someone knowledgeable looking (tearing) in to it. Good luck!
Looks like I will be knowledgeable when I'm done LOL . Thanks

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
After watching several video's . I see that a bad compensator will move left and right by hand . A compensator in good health will not do this while installed on the bike .

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So . After I installed my new compensator ,There is no more gnashing when I start it hot or cold. No more clunk when I shut it off and it seems crisper running , it could be my imagination . Thanks for the help . M

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
So . After I installed my new compensator ,There is no more gnashing when I start it hot or cold. No more clunk when I shut it off and it seems crisper running , it could be my imagination . Thanks for the help . M
What compensator did you install?

·
Registered
782 Posts
Not your imagination, those are all symptoms that a new compensator versus a worn one will cure.

·
Registered
389 Posts
After watching several video's . I see that a bad compensator will move left and right by hand . A compensator in good health will not do this while installed on the bike .
This is correct. It has been that way all through the Shovel and Evo eras. I have personal experience of this test.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts