Road Glide banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if there was any simple things to help with trans clunking and top end noise

·
Registered
510 Posts
I use redline trans fluid and Penn "green oil". I don't have issues with either. The redline trans fluid is the cats ass!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you put the Penn "green oil" in primary and motor

I use redline trans fluid and Penn "green oil". I don't have issues with either. The redline trans fluid is the cats ass!

·
Administrator
12,484 Posts
Hayden primary chain tensioner for the clunk, IDK about the top end noise.

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
3,813 Posts
Harleys have always made noises. Check the oil threads. Be prepared to be really confused. I wear earplugs for wind protection but they do help with engine noise but not the tranny clunk.

·
Registered
6,082 Posts
+1 on Redline in the transmission. It will lesson the clunk and the 5th gear whine. Harley's are noisy by nature. If your top end noise is unusually loud you'll know it or someone else will let you know when they hear it.

·
Registered
510 Posts
I only use the Penn Oil in the motor. I use Drag Specialies Primary fluid in the primary. The redline trans fluid is great stuff. It climbs all over the trans and covers everything! I don't have noises. Some buddies switched to my set up because it's so much quieter...even with the woods 777 cams.... I used to run amsoil in everything and had some racket...especially with the shifter clunk!

·
Registered
479 Posts
+1 on the redline in the trans. Definitely less clunky. The twin cams have always been top end noisy to me.

·
Super Moderator
1,816 Posts
Very good advice given so far.

1. Change the fluid in the transmission away from 20/50 motor oil. Usually this will reduce the trans clunk and has the additional benefit of finding neutral easier.
2. Make 1 change at a time so you can ride on that change and see/hear/feel the results.
3. Many have changed the viscosity in the primary as well, I have not done this but have heard good results from those that have made the change.

Good luck and post up your results.

·
Life Member
5,434 Posts
Another Penn Green Oil user here. Much quieter than the Mobil 1 I used to run.
In the trans I use Spectro Platinum Full Synthetic.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think the top end noise is loud as hell but Ive asked the harley shop and an indy shop around here and they say its pretty normal, I think its from being rode hard and put up wet so many times

+1 on Redline in the transmission. It will lesson the clunk and the 5th gear whine. Harley's are noisy by nature. If your top end noise is unusually loud you'll know it or someone else will let you know when they hear it.

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
1,775 Posts
Switched from Amsoil to Redline in trans at 20k and will change to Redline in the motor at next oil change. :D

·
Registered
319 Posts
I use Bel Ray gear saver and it works for me. Are you confused yet will all the opions?? lol:confused:

·
Registered
81 Posts
Check your shifter pawl. If it's out if adjustment it'll be harder to shift and louder. Fairly in depth though but it needs to be done periodically. I love redline in in the tranny. It's what I recommend to all my customers. Before redline I ran Mobil 1 and loved it too. It's a definite second.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 17 of 17 Posts