Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First post and first Harley. I bought a custom 03 road glide with extended fender and bags, 21” tire, 16” bars, and custom paint. Bought it at an estate sale so not much history is known on it. The estate guy kept telling me it has air ride. I see there is a gauge titled air and seems to have a reading. I see air lines going to the shocks but don’t know how they work or if they’re even hooked up. My buddy said there should be controls on the side and sure enough there are, kind of just below my butt on the blue side cover. I popped it off and the two switches are not connected. So I guess my question is should those be the air ride controls on the side? And is it factory or aftermarket? I’ll have more questions once I figure this out.

Attachments

·
Registered
927 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Florida! Sweet looking ride. Looks like someone tied a few bucks into that bike. To answer your question about the shocks, follow the air lines. They should lead you to an air compressor, probably located behind one of the shocks. Once you find the compressor, follow the electrical wires and see if they don’t run to the switches you found. Definitely not a stock setup.

·
Registered
3,290 Posts
Welcome to the Tank from Texas and enjoy! ^^They got it, as to the path to follow.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Don't know about air shocks yet but
Welcome from Minnesota!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Another welcome from Minnesota!!!!!

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Not stock, what they said ^^^^. Uh-oh, looks like someone caught the fever at a young age-great pic!

Great lookin scoot, welcome from Mass!!!

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
Welcome to the forum

·
Registered
958 Posts
Welcome to the Tank from NH - as you've been told not stock - look at the shock / name go on their web to get manual / install instructions - most likely will help in what / how set up was done.....

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
That is one fine looking ride with some nice mods
Keep us posted on your "air ride" solution
Welcome from Florida

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Congrats on your new ride and welcome from Connecticut. As stated see if you can find info on the shocks and do a search.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
You got a nice find at the estate sale. Congrats on a beautiful bike. I thought the wheels appear to be 23" until I read that you wrote that they were 21". You've come to the right place to learn about that beautiful new scoot. Welcome from Maryland.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I wish it was a 23" wheel. So I went out and gave it a good look. The shocks are just plain black, no branding on it. I tried to follow the air lines. They go up under the seat somewhere. The left side painted cover comes off relatively easy and I didn't see anything there. I didn't see a pump right in front of either shock. When I tried to take the right side cover off the bag is kind of in the way and won't pop off easily and I'm a little scared of scratching it. But the part I could kind of peel away nothing is jumping out at me as a pump. I'm guessing it might be kind of small? not sure what I'm looking for.

And as a backdrop to the story I have traditionally been a sport bike guy, and a stunter (I was that guy), but I know if I buy another sport bike I won't be able to stop myself from wheeling and doing dumb stuff. My old neighbor builds $80,000 custom roadglides with 30" front wheels, center drop air kick stands, full custom paint, etc and got me hooked on it. Found this from a marijuana dispensary owner who got ill and died while this was in the shop getting painted. So fresh paint, tons of chrome add ons, all 6 speakers new, and tons more. Bad way to come across it but super happy. Thought I was cool when I bought it and was leaving the parking lot and then a Bugatti Veyron pulls in next to me. There went my cool factor for the moment. lol.

also, there is a gauge with a button that lights up and has a harley badge and a number readout right by the passenger foot rest. Anyone know whats thats for?

·
Registered
823 Posts
also, there is a gauge with a button that lights up and has a harley badge and a number readout right by the passenger foot rest. Anyone know whats thats for?[/QUOTE]

that's your oil dip stick, it's an add on with elect temp. gauge, your nextdoor neighbor that builds 80 thousand road glides should be able to answer all these questions.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
my neighbor moved recently. No longer have the resource. But thanks, I figured that was the case.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Nice looking ride. ok so on the O3 there is a space in front of the battery compartment that the air compressor is probably located. That is where I mounted mine for my Air Horns on my 03 RK. Take the seat off and the lines from the shocks should be connected to a distribution "tee" witch will have the dump valve on it also with 2wires coming off that and probably a line running to the air gauge. There should be a hose running from that "Tee" to the compressor also. With so many retailed kits and home grown kits its hard to tell what or which kit you may have with out digging into it. Also you said there were two switches on the side panel. one switch should be for the rear air one could be for the front air ride, if someone put that much money into it to convert it over. take the saddlebag off, pull the side cover and see what's hooked up to them.

·
Registered
169 Posts
could also be the case that the "air ride" is just the factory air shocks with the manual air valve. it looks like a tire valve, maybe up behind the saddle bag on the right?

if this bike was sitting in storage some where maybe an aftermarket air ride was swapped out by someone who figured the new owner wouldn't know?

stock harley shocks look like this

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
so after you posted those stock harley air shocks that is what mine look like. I just see the air lines running to the battery area. I'll see if I can find that T. Maybe it goes to a manual valve rather than an actual compressor. This gives me an idea of what to search for now.

·
Registered
43 Posts
The original location for the stock air shocks was on the (sitting on the bike) left side about mid way down the Saddlebag. if you open the left bag you should be able to see it between the bag and fender. I should look just like a normal valve stem with a cap on it, just shorter. that is unless some one moved it. If your air shocks are hooked to the gauge, a simple test would to be bounce up and down on the bike to see if the gauge reading changes.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts