Road Glide banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anyone remember the early 1982 Shovelheads with the crazy tappet block hoses ''oil fix''? The crankcase breather hose on early Evos?

Harley may be going back to the future for 2019, fitting another Ugly Hose (TM :laugh: ), this time to cure the oil migration issue affecting a small number of M8s.

That's the claim this week on Facebook, from a guy in Oregon in a Road Glide group who has posted a story and a couple of photos.

He knows a local rider with a 2018 Street Glide who was having huge oil loss from his gearbox into the primary. The local dealership contacted H-D. They sent out a rep from Milwaukee, who rode the bike for around 70 miles and recorded an 8 fluid oz transfer to primary.

The rep instructed the dealership workshop to do this primary-venting modification. They drilled into the primary casing. Attached a hose fitting at the top of the primary case. Ran the tube down under the bike.

The rep told the owner: ''This will eliminate the suctioning effect that is pulling the oil from the transmission into the primary. Something similar will be incorporated in the 2019 models coming out''

We shall see. This is what it looks like. It didn't read like BS to me.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
That's not a MoCo fix, not even close. Its two brass fittings, which the MoCo would never spend the bucks for. A straight piece of hose and no plastic clamp. Jerry rigged home repair. And it does not even address the problem. The problem is oil collecting in the release housing and having no where to drain except for the push rod passage.

Every thing I have seen as far as a fix is done over on the clutch release side. I saw a picture of a release housing with two reliefs milled into it. That's what I would expect to see on new scooters. Problem with it is that a fix to the new production could obligate them to put that fix on the old scooters. And that is prolly more money than they want to spend.

·
Registered
1 Posts
m8 oil migration problem

Mine transferred 1/2 half quart in about 4k miles. I have a 2017 Street Glide. The dealership changed all fluids and I was told to ride it for 1k miles. At about 300 miles I checked the transmission level and no oil showed on the dipstick. Harley sent out a tech from the factory. He told me and a friend with a Tri-glide with the same mileage and problem. He saiad that he felt we were not riding our bikes properly. I guess the HD makes bikes for only one style of rider! He had the oil levels brought to proper levels and rode both bikes 100 miles. Both bikes transferred 15oz of oil. Both bikes had had the seal installed that was suppose to fix the problem. He thought that the dealership techs had installed them improperly. That was proven false. I let them drill a hole in my primary cover and install a vent hose. After 350 miles I checked the transmission level and no oil appeared on the dipstick. I returned the bike to the dealership and they replaced the primary cover. Harley refused to buy the bike back. A lemon Law case is pending.

·
Registered
7,263 Posts
Mine transferred 1/2 half quart in about 4k miles. I have a 2017 Street Glide. The dealership changed all fluids and I was told to ride it for 1k miles. At about 300 miles I checked the transmission level and no oil showed on the dipstick. Harley sent out a tech from the factory. He told me and a friend with a Tri-glide with the same mileage and problem. He saiad that he felt we were not riding our bikes properly. I guess the HD makes bikes for only one style of rider! He had the oil levels brought to proper levels and rode both bikes 100 miles. Both bikes transferred 15oz of oil. Both bikes had had the seal installed that was suppose to fix the problem. He thought that the dealership techs had installed them improperly. That was proven false. I let them drill a hole in my primary cover and install a vent hose. After 350 miles I checked the transmission level and no oil appeared on the dipstick. I returned the bike to the dealership and they replaced the primary cover. Harley refused to buy the bike back. A lemon Law case is pending.
Its things like this that prevent me from buying a new bike. Im actually willing to drop the coin on a 19 but refuse to until HD pulls their head out of their asses. The rep said that you and your buddy were riding the bike "improperly". Its shit like this that pisses me off. Apparently the MoCo seems to think everyone with a new M8 is riding wrong and it's not a design flaw. And HD wonders why they are in trouble

·
Registered
8,832 Posts
Its things like this that prevent me from buying a new bike. Im actually willing to drop the coin on a 19 but refuse to until HD pulls their head out of their asses. The rep said that you and your buddy were riding the bike "improperly". Its shit like this that pisses me off. Apparently the MoCo seems to think everyone with a new M8 is riding wrong and it's not a design flaw. And HD wonders why they are in trouble
What he said ^^^^

Reactions: rlaf75

·
Premium Member
3,045 Posts
I have the issue so I'm not disputing your problem. But you say you and your friend both transferred 15 ounces in 100 miles? Is the 100 miles a typo?

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I feel for you guys that have the problems with the newer bikes. I want a new bike and almost did it a few months back. I think I’ll keep my 2011 for now.

·
Registered
4,438 Posts
well, i would say that, no it is not the factory's oil migration fix. i've looked on the new 2019s and they do not have that setup.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I had a similar issue with my 2018 RGS, did it twice, Harley wanted to fit their band-aid fix I said it didn't work, my bike was also experiencing very high engine oil consumption, but Harley said thats normal!
In the end my dealer did me a very good deal and put me on a 2019 RGS :)
However, I do know my new bike could experience the same oil transfer issue, but I am not worried as I know there is A FIX THAT WORKS, its just from a third party (www.hdforums.com - M8 section/The fix is in thread)
My dealer is prepared to work with me if I need this fix, can't get fairer than that until HD finally solve the issue themselves
BTW this guy has sent HD all his research and proof his fix works but they choose to ignore it.

My 2019 does NOT have this bodge (no other word)

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
That is not even close to a fix that the MoCo would attempt because due to the strict EPA handcuffs they are wearing at the moment they are not allowed to vent anymore to the atmosphere than is currently designed. Not to mention that is so backyard shad tree mechanic, Vinny's V-Twin style of work. I call BS....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts