438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
8,827 Posts

·
Registered
6,622 Posts
That loctite is only sustainable to 302 degrees Fahrenheit. I think our internal engines get a bit hotter than that. I dont think I want the stuff melting down into my engine then re hardening.
+1^^^.
What's going to happen when the loctite hardens and then breaks up and hard chunks of loctite go into the crankcase :confused:
Not only that the rocker arm assembly is designed to have a little side to side movement so everything will line up when the top end is assembled, as long as there is no up/down movement everything is OK.
If I read the article right the OP mentioned that there were no bushings in the rocker arms which is WRONG the rocker arm support plate have bushing on the ends where the end of the rocker arm shafts are. So if the OP doesn't have bushing in the support plate then HD forgot to install them.
I would stay away from doing this mod. JMO

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
+1^^^.
What's going to happen when the loctite hardens and then breaks up and hard chunks of loctite go into the crankcase :confused:
Not only that the rocker arm assembly is designed to have a little side to side movement so everything will line up when the top end is assembled, as long as there is no up/down movement everything is OK.
If I read the article right the OP mentioned that there were no bushings in the rocker arms which is WRONG the rocker arm support plate have bushing on the ends where the end of the rocker arm shafts are. So if the OP doesn't have bushing in the support plate then HD forgot to install them.
I would stay away from doing this mod. JMO

Agree with your loctite comments... Going back to the rocker shaft; if you didn't view his video please do. It appears that the shaft is installed correctly and the shaft can partially rotate and make the tapping noise that were hear at times. Looks like this can be a real issue on some bikes or if HD really forgot to install bushings that is a bigger problem.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
2,338 Posts
Ride a PanHead for a few hours, then get back on your bike. You'll be amazed how quiet your top end really is.

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
There is a thread on Harley Tech Talk right now called interesting read. It gives the real fix for this problem. The best one I think is the one where they use a used rifle brass shell casing to sleeve where the bolt goes and tightens up the tolerences. Very good read.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ride a PanHead for a few hours, then get back on your bike. You'll be amazed how quiet your top end really is.
My Pan Head was a little noisy, but in a good way just whirling away in harmony; besides I was having too much fun on it. My Shovel still purrs like a sewing machine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts