Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Don't know how many on here have any interest in this but honestly how could you not be.

The racing of the Isle Of Man TT.

Youtube has some of the most amazing footage I have ever seen.

Well over 200 men have lost their lives racing this race that dates back to the early 1920's.

I have posted a link down below.

Many amazing video's to check out.

Enjoy

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Isle+Of+Man+

Swomack

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
I have a whole lot more guts than I have, and I really give kudos to the side car racers.

·
Registered
132 Posts
WTF, racing with sidecars? Those guys doing gymnastics on the sidecars and going around corners are insane!

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
A riding buddy of mine had an uncle that raced at Isle of Man. He died there as have many. Nothing like watching it. Very exciting and I don't have balls big enough!

·
Registered
6,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I’m impressed with the motorcycle cops that can go around cones but come on.

Speeds of 200 mph on a normal road.

I was a MX rider my whole life and I’ve had my fair share of crotch rockets but these guys have real skills.

The old footage in the 1920’s the top speeds where in the 60’s & 70’s mph.

Those old timers were pioneers of this sport.

Could you imagine what they would think if the top speeds these guys are hitting in today’s times.

Crazy

Swomack

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Absolutely some bad asses that run that race, if your at the race, you can hear those cast iron balls clacking while they walk to their bikes

·
Super Moderator
9,664 Posts
Yeah love Isle of Man , my budd from Australia went last year and snagged me a Tshirt , some decals and patches , went one time years ago .. there are plenty of youtube videos on the races ..

Joey Dunlop is one of the guys , he died several years back racing . He was good . Watch some interviews and videos of Guy Martin , he is a card ..

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
just checked. "Road" is still on netflix. i cannot suggest watching it enough. it speaks to the reason we ride motorcycles...

"The man hunched over his motorcycle can focus only on the present.

He is outside of time
He is in a state of ecstasy
He has no fear

Because the source of fear is in the future.

And a person freed of the future has nothing to fear."

Milan Kundera

·
Registered
514 Posts
I remember first learning about the the Isle of Mann TT while watching ABC's "Wide World of Sports" one Saturday afternoon back in the seventies. You never knew what was going to be on that show and I remember always being excited when I tuned in and saw they were going to have some type of motorcycle racing, be it ice oval racing, Isle of Mann TT racing, motocross or some type of paved racetrack event. Thanks for jogging my memory, it made me smile! :grin:

·
Registered
6,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
just checked. "Road" is still on netflix. i cannot suggest watching it enough. it speaks to the reason we ride motorcycles...

"The man hunched over his motorcycle can focus only on the present.

He is outside of time
He is in a state of ecstasy
He has no fear

Because the source of fear is in the future.

And a person freed of the future has nothing to fear."

Milan Kundera
Thanks for posting this info.

I will have to check this out now on Netflix.

Swomack

·
Registered
5,578 Posts
Joey Dunlop is one of the guys , he died several years back racing . He was good . Watch some interviews and videos of Guy Martin , he is a card ..
Joey D Was THE MAN - He won on every class he raced - Showed up hung over, downed a pint, had a smoke and won the TT - Hell, not just IoM but many other TTs too - Irish Road Racing is PURE INSANITY as well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzWf-6UzQUA

·
Registered
6,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Here are the dates for this years race.

In late May.

This race is televised every year so make sure to catch it.

Link down below

The 2017 meeting saw the continued dominance and fierce rivalry between two of the event’s fastest and most successful riders in its history; Englishman Ian Hutchinson and Northern Ireland’s Michael Dunlop., The pair shared four race wins between them which saw Hutchinson move to fourth on the all-time race winner’s leaderboard with 16 wins, one place ahead of Dunlop who has 15, a gap that the Northern Ireland rider is looking to eradicate in 2018.

Swomack

https://www.iomtt.com/TT-Info.aspx

ISLE OF MAN TT RACES FUELLED BY MONSTER ENERGY
QUALIFYING PROGRAMME 2018
Saturday 26th May
18:20 – 18:45 Solo Newcomers’ speed controlled lap
18:35 – 19:00 Sidecar Newcomers’ speed controlled lap
18:45 – 20:50 Lightweight TT / Supersport / Newcomers (all solo classes)
Monday 28th May
18:20 – 19:50 Superbike / Superstock / Supersport / Newcomers (except Lightweight)
19:55 – 20:50 Sidecars
Tuesday 29th May
18:20 – 19:25 Superbike / Superstock / Supersport / Newcomers (except Lightweight)
19:25 – 19:55 Supersport / Lightweight / Newcomers (all Solo classes)
20:00 – 20:50 Sidecars
Wednesday 30th May
18:20 – 19:40 Superbike / Superstock / Supersport / Newcomers (except Lightweight)
19:45 – 20:35 Sidecars
20:35 – 20:50 TT Zero
Thursday 31st May
18:20 – 19:15 Superbike / Superstock / Supersport / Newcomers (except Lightweight)
19:20 – 19:45 Supersport / Lightweight / Newcomers (all Solo classes)
19:50 – 20:35 Sidecars
20:35 – 20:50 TT Zero
Friday 1st June
18:20 – 19:35 Superbike / Superstock / Supersport / Newcomers (except Lightweight)
19:35 – 19:45 TT Zero
19:55 – 20:50 Sidecars
ISLE OF MAN TT RACES FUELLED BY MONSTER ENERGY
RACE PROGRAMME 2018
Saturday 2nd June
12:00 RST Superbike TT Race 6 laps
15:00 Sidecar TT Race 1 3 laps
16:35 Superstock / Supersport / Lightweight Qualifying
17:10 TT Zero Qualifying 1 lap
Monday 4th June
10:45 Monster Energy Supersport TT Race 1 4 laps
12:25 – 13:05 Sidecar Qualifying 2 laps
14:15 RL360 Quantum Superstock Race 4 laps
15:55 TT Lightweight Qualifying 1 lap
16:15 TT Zero Qualifying 1 lap
Wednesday 6th June
10:45 Monster Energy Supersport TT Race 2 4 laps
12:45 SES TT Zero Race 1 lap
14:10 Bennetts Lightweight TT Race 4 laps
15:55 Sidecar TT Qualifying 1 lap
16:10 Senior TT Qualifying 1 lap
Friday 8th June
10:15 Sidecar TT Race 2 3 laps
12:45 PokerStars Senior TT Race 6 laps

·
Registered
507 Posts
I have watched many videos of this, it is not only a race, but a festival. Would love to go, just once. I am 63, and some of those sidecar racers make me look young. But they are fast as hell.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Love to watch it! Can't wait. I want to go to see in person sometime. It sucks that, here, it's on really late at night. And having to get up early for work, it sucks! Last year that week I was a walking zombie.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts