Road Glide banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last summer I bought a wheel and tire combo from my local dealer. It was a 21" wheel with an Avon tire. Since putting the wheel on it has not felt right. I would ride and the front wheel would feel like it was not balanced at all and at times made me nervous to even ride it. I contacted my dealer and he told me the wheel had dyna beads in it so it would take just a bit when I first took off to balance it out. I gave it a shot and still the tire wouldnt balance out. I finally got tired of the issue took the wheel to another local shop who spin balanced the wheel. The guy said the wheel is perfectly balanced now after addidmg weight to it and there were no beads in the tire to begin with. He said if I have anymore issues then Ive got a bad tire. Went home put the wheel on rode it and its still just as bad. I then contacted the dealer I bought the wheel from he said I would have to contact AVON. I contacted AVON and they said I have to contact the dealer who sold me the wheel. I contacted the dealer again and finally found out that the wheel and tire combo I bought from him he got at a vendor show and after contacting the manufacturer of the wheel I found out its an old wheel that they no longer make. The dealer I bought the wheel from says he cant do anything about it since he didnt buy it from a distributor. Now Im stuck with a bad tire that nobody is gonna warranty. So my question to the forum is what do I do now?

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
Ask to speak to the Gen Mgr of the Dealership where you bought the tire from and politely ask him for a new tire - Then, when he says "no" for one of a hundred reasons, remind him that his employee purchased this from an unauthorized dealer aka a Swap Meet and sold it as new - Then remind him of how many dealers there are in the area (hoping there are some) and that the market is very competitive and social media can REALLY dictate some less than favorable outcomes for some vendors - Then maybe slide into the conversation that you have a friend who works at your local TV station who is dating someone on the "Consumer Fraud Alert" team and he is encouraging you to come fwd wth the story and you wanted to give him one more shot before doing so.

Oh and do some research on the dealership and find out who owns it (Individual or Group) and get some names to drop into the conversation above - I am guessing he might change his tune - The key to this is to do it all while being polite.....smiling even - Let him know he has the power to make this right....or oh so wrong......his choice.

·
Registered
302 Posts
When I was researching a year old + set of tires Denis Kirk sent me, I found Avon to be up-front and honest. Admitted that Kirk had bought a batch of close-out end of season tires, and were surprised that Kirk still had them/selling them.

When presented with this info, Kirk wanted me to pay return shipping.

Yup, I kept them. Figuring I would trade MC in, before the tire age became an issue. When I traded MC a year later, there were 4,000 on the tires.

But, I do continue to tell the truthful story.

·
Registered
865 Posts
We have seen this happen before with the Avon tires (120/70-21) on the Road Glides. We are not sure why but when we put on the Metzeler (reinforced 120/70-21) and the problem went away.

We had a guy stop in with this very issue. He had on a manufacturers wheel that we do not sell and was ready to buy one of our wheels and move on. We did not want to take advantage of him and had him out on a Metzeler tire and he was a happy camper.

I know some people say they have had no issues with the 120/70-21 Avon tire but we have seen it many times. Once it became a known issue we encourage everyone to go with the Metzeler reinforced tire.

I'm very surprised that a dealer would not stand behind a product they sold but that seems to be more common than not these days.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts