Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first post

I have a 2011 Merlot Sunglo Road Glide Ultra. On Labor Day, while on a run, the bike went over on me. A lady in front of me went down, I went to the right to miss her and I stopped a few inches from the white line on the side of the road. The problem was that there was an 18” drop off just past the white line. In other words, there was no shoulder. I put my right foot down, but unless I was wearing an 18” Gene Simmons boot, I stood no chance of holding up the bike. It tip over on to some rocks & dirt. As the bike was going down, the centrifugal force threw me off. We got the bike back on the road & I completed the run.

The damage is mainly the fairing and the right saddle bag. The scraps in the fairing & saddle bag is deep, as if cutting into the plastic. To repair it, it will take some kind of filler and sanding it. It is not a scratch in the paint, it is more serious than that. My main concern is the stripping on the saddle bag. This is going to require two additional colors of paint. My question is can this be fixed? Or will the fairing & saddle bag have to be replaced? I know that it is hard to tell just looking at the stupid picks.

Another idea I had is to have it painted all one color. I am thinking of an all-black metal flake, similar to the Merlot Sunglo flake but only black. If I take off the body work and take it to a shop, what is a ball park to have it prep & painted? Could that be cheaper than trying to match the paint & fix the strips? I can fix all the other damage such as the highway bar that holds on the lower fairings and the highway pegs. The gas tank, seat, front & rear fender, and tour pak did not get a scratch on it. If possible, if I could find it, I could replace the saddle bag & outer fairing cover and be done with it. But most 2011 FLTRU that are totaled would most likely have a damaged fairing.

Other less serious damage is the inner fairing did get scratched a little, but I think the best thing is to fill in the scratches & paint it the same color as the rest of the bike. That would probably be cheaper than replacing the inner fairing. The grip end cap got scraped as did the front brake lever. But those are no big deal.

Yes, I do have full coverage and the motorcycle does have a loan on it from the bank. I am seeking opinions and ideas on what to do. My main question that I need opinions on is should I have the damaged areas repainted Merlot Sunglo or remove all the body parts and it painted? Last question, does Harley sell fairings & saddle bags that pre-painted to match the rest of the bike?

Thanks, Shimaze

Right side faring

Right saddle bag

Looking back at the turn

Where the bike fell over

·
Super Moderator
10,209 Posts
Main issue is if the insurance is involved what will they want done , and how much do you have to put in the kitty ..They will not pay for a new paint job for the entire bike .. How much for painting is a loaded question .Yes Harley sells painted bags and fairings

Welcome

JtB

·
Registered
7,215 Posts
If it was me, I'd call the insurance company and let them assess the damage and go from there. Are you capable of doing the work yourself? Find out how much the insurance company will give you.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I would call the insurance company and then take from there a new outer is about 600 and then a bag so total damages is over a grand without the labor. Custom paint the sky is the limit depends on color graphics etc just paint can get real expensive

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
If you play your cards right, they will paint the entire bike if the color can't be matched properly. With the age, it will be almost impossible for a painter to get a perfect match. Try kindness, I love my bike, with your adjuster. If that doesn't work, ask for another adjuster and get your painter to talk in your behalf also.

·
Super Moderator
1,795 Posts
Repair/re-paint or replace?

2 ways to go, insurance and no insurance.

1. Insurance, they will most likely have the local dealer order replacement saddlebag and outer fairing. Go over everything on the right side of the bike with a fine tooth comb. You and the adjuster should inspect every surface that could have come in contact with the ground; engine guard, foot board, exhaust, bag guard, saddlebag, saddlebag lid, grips, front brake lever. Inspect all parts for the most minor of damage. If it is only the painted parts, it will be much cheaper for the Insurance co to just buy them and have them installed at the dealer - your deductible.

2. No insurance. Again, inspect everything. If it is just the paint work, and there is no broken/cracked plastic then a re-paint is easy.
Ride it until winter, take all the parts off yourself and take them to a painter, pick your color, put your money down and wait. The most reputable bike painter anywhere will take 3-5 weeks longer than they tell you, they just do. Expect to be quoted between 2K and 4K for vivid black depending on what type of finish you want. If you want show quality that takes labor and labor costs in hours of polishing, polishing, polishing. If you want crazy graphics or over the top air brushing, the sky is the limit on cost.

I have paid as little as 2k for a paint job and 5K for a paint job. I like the 2k paint job the best. I waited almost 7 months for the 5k paint job.

Calgaryglide

·
Registered
6,572 Posts
It all depends on what your insurance deductible is and do you want your insurance rate to increase.
Go to your HD dealer and have a estimate done they will charge you a hour labor to do the estimate but if you have the bike repaired there it they will include the estimate price in the repair bill.
The HD dealer is not a body shop and they will not do paint repair!!! The HD dealer will order all new painted parts from the MOCO and anything that even has a scratch will be replaced by new parts.
You can fix the bike yourself if you want you can either find used parts and pay for the paint work or you can order painted parts from a HD dealer and install them yourself, I found that it is cheaper to order the painted parts from HD because you get a quality paint job and the pinstriping is on the replacement part in the right place.
Call Jon (PC Pain) @ Horny Toad HD and tell him you are a forum member so you get the discount price on the parts. I got a new painted HD outer fairing from Jon for around $350 so the cost of parts isn't bad with the discount.
You can also turn in the insurance claim then buy the parts from Jon at a discount and do the labor then you can pocket the left over money or spend the extra money on upgrades.

·
Registered
367 Posts
vivid black shows every swirl and scratch. I know. colors hide them a little better.you have insurance.use it. that's what its for less your deductible. yep it sucks but shit happens.no one got hurt. have it fixed right and continue to enjoy her.

·
Registered
454 Posts
New parts

The insurance company will want an estimate from the dealership, at least mine did, for the parts to be replaced. Then an adjuster will look at it before cutting a check to the dealer. My bike was newer so the paint matched from the factory. You can have them send the parts primed and have your own painter match the paint. You will probably have to pay the difference if it goes any higher. My dealer has recommended paint shops in the area.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Any chance you could go through her insurance since your accident was a result of her accident. Long shot but might be worth an ask...

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
If you go through your insurance company you may be able to have them cut you the check to get it fixed. Mine gave me the option to cut the dealer the check or make it out to me. I said I wanted it and I was able to repair, replace and add much more than taking it to the dealer for just the replacement parts. Some dealerships do have a painter that they farm out work to and will work with you on that option as well. Just have to check with your dealership to see if they do that.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
My buddy is a manager at a body shop,if you are looking at black with the amount of repair and just the number of pieces to paint i think $3000 is closer to the mark,you may find someone willing to paint every thing for a grand but i would be very skeptical of the finished product.Paint products have gone out of site in the last few years.He painted his 63 impala 3 years ago painted it red,his cost on just the paint,clear and primer was more than $ 2500,but that's a big car as others have said check with the insurance.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I finally got it in to the shop and got an estimate

I finally got it in to the shop and got an estimate …HOLY [email protected]#$ The estimate was $11,000! I don’t know what to do? This bike is drivable, in fact, I drove it away from the accident and have been riding it for an additional 4k miles. And it really isn’t all that bad. I believe the bike, as it sits, is worth at least 10k. The market seems to be $15k & up for a good FLTRU with 16k miles. When I was looking for mine, I would have gladly accepted a scratch & dent discount of $6000! Having said that, this bike, with the assumed value of $10k, the bike will not be worth $21k after the $11k worth of parts & labor is put into it.

How does this work? I would rather take the check to bank (that has a lien on it), give them the check and walk away with a mortgage on the bike that is within reach. But I want to steer well clear of insurance fraud and avoid doing anything that looks dishonest or a bit shady. Will the check come in my name? This is a State Farm insurance claim. I can remove the damaged parts and have them painted or paint them myself? As for the other stuff, I can replace some of the parts and live with the minor imperfections of the rest of it.

But the bank, as it stands now, has loan that far exceeds the value of the collateral. If I can get the bike repaired and back up to loan value for $5k or $6k, what happens to the balance? Is or can the bank force my hand in how I decide the bike should be fixed? Will the insurance company want to pay me what it costs me? Will they want a bunch of receipts & stuff? Will they want some of the money back that is not spent on the bike?

Thank you for the previous replies and any additional ideas, thoughts, or suggestions would be appreciated. And if you can share your experiences, I would appreciate that as well.

Thanks, Shimaze

·
Super Moderator
10,209 Posts
If the insurance cuts a check in your name , they wont care what you do , they will consider the case closed . Someone backed into mine in 2012 , and I got $3500 for a couple scuff marks on the right saddlebag , a sprung tour pak lid , and a small chip in the outer fairing .. I had a clear title , they cut me a check and I ordered a new tour pak and put the rest on some bills .. Still have the scuff marks and chip in the fairing , battle scars :laugh: ..

They're not going to come back a year later to see if you had it fixed ..

I can live with a few dings , I would repair or replace what NEEDS to be fixed and put the rest on the note .. That's not fraud , you are not deceiving the insurance company , they are paying you for a legitimate claim ..

Another scenario is , they cut a check to whoever gave the estimate ..

My case , we were out of state on vacation , and the adjuster from my company , met me at my house when we got home ..

JtB

·
Registered
4,283 Posts
because the bike is financed, the check is going to be cut in your name, and the repair facilities name. however, that doesn't mean that you have to have all the work done. order whatever parts you need from them, have them fix whatever you want them to fix, and whatever balance is left on the check, they can cut you a 'refund' check for.

and that is not fraud. if you don't get everything fixed, your bike was worth x amount, and their responisbility is to get it back to that. once they have done that, their obligation is over. now, if you don't fix it, and make a claim against it again, then that is fraud.

now this may be different in different states, but it has been this way in all the states i lived in.

·
Registered
6,081 Posts
Please elaborate on what the $11k estimate is for? I would just order a new saddlebag and outer fairing from the MOCO unless you cannot get that color anymore. That estimate is insanely high unless there is more damage than stated in your original post.

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
because the bike is financed, the check is going to be cut in your name, and the repair facilities name. however, that doesn't mean that you have to have all the work done. order whatever parts you need from them, have them fix whatever you want them to fix, and whatever balance is left on the check, they can cut you a 'refund' check for.

and that is not fraud. if you don't get everything fixed, your bike was worth x amount, and their responisbility is to get it back to that. once they have done that, their obligation is over. now, if you don't fix it, and make a claim against it again, then that is fraud.

now this may be different in different states, but it has been this way in all the states i lived in.
Not in my case here in FL. My bike was financed and they cut 2 separate checks for the whole amount in my name only.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
100 Posts
I had the same experience as RGKen. Insurance got an estimate for repair/replace + labor from the dealer and gave the check to me. I replaced some of the parts with take-offs of the right color I found on the forum/ebay and replaced the fairing with a new OEM already painted one.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Shimaze - talk to some recommended small body shops. A friend of mine could repair and add custom paint usually and save you from paying a deductible. Your bike will be better looking than before. Other shops have done the same. The dealers will just replace with new, painted parts from Harley that are much more expensive. Usually, estimates for scuffed parts can be replaced with less expensive aftermarket than HD parts. Saw my friend do this time and time again and his customers and the insurance companies were all fine with this. Insurance started sending him the business so they would have happy customers!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Finally got an answer...

I talked to State Farm on Friday. They put me on hold to check my claim status. When the lady returned, she said they had the estimate and that it was reviewed and approved. The only question she had for me was if I wanted a check mailed or direct deposit? I gave her my bank's routing number and my account number. I kind of wanted a paper check, but a deposit eliminates the issue of whose name(s) the check made out to?

This is was rather painless, much less painless than seeing your pride & joy laying on the side of the road. From this experience, I give State Farm a 5 star rating!

Now, I will go back to the dealer, pay them the inspection/estimate fee and ride my bike home. I am considering painting the bike myself. As you can see from the pics, the major damage is on the right bag and the fairing. I am also going to take this opportunity to upgrade the bags to the 2014+ bags. The fairing looks like it can be filled and sanded over. The inner fairing was only scratched a little and we all know that an inner fairing should be painted anyway.

I have already begun collecting parts second from eBay, this forum, and Craigslist. luckily, I never put my new exhaust on or my new grips before the accident. I already have several windshields and I wanted to paint my windshield trim anyway. Many other parts listed on the estimate are only minor in damage, but nonetheless damaged. However, I can live with the few scratches on the bottom of the primary, the highway pegs, the mirror, the highway bar.

I will use the money to fix the bike myself and what is left over I will pay on the loan. I may also get a before and after estimate of the trade in value as a means of demonstrating the bike has been fixed and document to what extent the value changed. I will also keep every receipt for everything purchased to restore the bike back to pre-accident condition.

Thanks everyone for all your input! I hope others learn something and have a guide to go by if they too suffer the same misfortune as I did. The process is really not all that bad. This is the first claim I have made in 25 years. I hope I have another 25 years of good luck!

Thanks, Shimaze

1 - 20 of 21 Posts