Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a few questions that I hope you guys can answer. I use both a stock '08 Road Glide seat when riding solo, and a Sundowner when riding two up. Currently, I am running a 16" Cee Bailey TRSSC Euro shield. It works outstanding for me solo on the stock seat, but is marginal at best for my wife when 2 up with the Sundowner. My question is whether I should go with the 14.5" Madstad or the 16". I know that Madstad has a generous return/exchange policy, but I have waited until the last minute before riding season before changing shields. and I'd rather get it over with all at once. Opinions please. Thanks for a reply.

·
Registered
598 Posts
For reference,I'm 5' 10" with 33" inseam and find the 13" shield gives plenty of adjustment.
One thing, if considering a shorter shield, is the way it looks at the bottom edge. Raising it high will show more of the base/inner shield and trim. Fortunately I can keep this area, covered and still have plenty of height for wind protection.

·
Registered
8,380 Posts
If you want good protection for your wife on the Sundowner , get the 16" . She's back and up a good bit.

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
I am 6'1" with 32" inseam and I run a 13" MS. I feel you can run a shorter shield with the MS than you can with other shields and still get more benefit from it. I would think the 14.5 is as tall as you might want to go because you can always adjust it up if you need and then you can have it down shorter in warmer weather or cruising around town. If you just want max coverage all the time then go ahead and go with the 16" but like Tim said... Mark will guide you in the right direction. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
564 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
We are also going with a Madstad window this year but putting off the purchase to take full advantage of the return policy if it doesn't rid my passenger of the buffeting she gets on our long rides.
I understand the technology behind Marks windshield. There is still a large gap behind any RG windshield where the turbulence created behind the windshield can still affect the passanger. You can't full appreciate that space unless you've ridden in it, so whatever affect you get behind the Madstad, or any window for that matter, as the DRIVER, you need to increase the height of said windshield a good amount to push that airstream up and over your passenger. The affect of the height and angle of the Madstad will be much more critical to the PASSENGER than the DRIVER if your passenger comfort is of prime importance.
In my humble (and experienced) opinion, of course...

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
I'm 6'3" and use the 16" clear....you know,the difference between the two is only 1 1/2" and there's like 3" or so adjustment up and down in these,I think either one would work.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
I'm 6'2' and use the 16. I love it and the wife gets 0 buffeting.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Finally had time to talk to the folks at Madstad today. They asked some questions, and so did I. I ordered a 14.5" in dark grey, and am looking forward to trying it out. I didn't realize they had changed the brackets to a RoboKnob(?). Didn't really understand how they had improved the brackets, but if they're better than the previous, that's great.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Finally had time to talk to the folks at Madstad today. They asked some questions, and so did I. I ordered a 14.5" in dark grey, and am looking forward to trying it out. I didn't realize they had changed the brackets to a RoboKnob(?). Didn't really understand how they had improved the brackets, but if they're better than the previous, that's great.
How did they convince you of a 14.5 Vs. a 13"...when on their website, they recommend a 13" for people 5'8- 5' 11"? I am going to get one also...someday....just wondering about your experience.

Chuck

·
Registered
654 Posts
ya its a tricky thing to consider. I am waiting on a 14.5. My bike is a 2006 which currently has a 13" WV. It works pretty good but I often wish I had a 15". I am 5'9", a 2006 has a lower fairing than a 2010. Lower by 1.5". My 13" shield seems to come up to my throat, so I think a 14.5 MS is going to be pretty good. Themensh, I don't think you could go wrong with either shield. I think if I had a 2010 or newer RG I would get a 13". Good luck to you in your choice. I will let the forum know how I feel about the 14.5" on the Windshield Height data base after I get it installed.

·
Registered
8,380 Posts
ya its a tricky thing to consider. I am waiting on a 14.5. My bike is a 2006 which currently has a 13" WV. It works pretty good but I often wish I had a 15". I am 5'9", a 2006 has a lower fairing than a 2010. Lower by 1.5". My 13" shield seems to come up to my throat, so I think a 14.5 MS is going to be pretty good. Themensh, I don't think you could go wrong with either shield. I think if I had a 2010 or newer RG I would get a 13". Good luck to you in your choice. I will let the forum know how I feel about the 14.5" on the Windshield Height data base after I get it installed.
I think your going to like the 14.5". I have a WV 15" in the closet because the MS 13" works better.

·
Registered
8,380 Posts
I really need to quit reading these threads. Now I'm thinking of getting one just for road trips.
It wont be just for trips once you try it. :D

1 - 20 of 59 Posts