Road Glide banner
41 - 59 of 59 Posts
Ordered my 13" med gray on Monday, got the shield on Thurs.
Assembled part of it last night and put it on the bike today after work.
Haven't ridden it yet, but taking a day trip tomorrow to Mt. Dora.
Will check in the morning for a 60 degree angle, and put the shield up half way.
Then ask the Mrs if she can feel a difference. If it is possitive comment will leave it alone. If worse, I will raise it up.....then if negative again, I will angle-out the top a bit. Should know pretty quick if the comments I have read are correct.
Any other 'tips' on dialing in these windshields?
Side note....my bike had 2800 miles on it when I bought it. I have had the windshield off once (to put chrome trim on it). I put on the Madstad and three of the well nuts were crap. I got them to work one more time.....but if I had known, I would have had a few extras handy.
I do like the looks, and it looks like the adjustabilty will be plenty. The shield was packaged very well, and instructions were clear.
So far, so good. Now I just have to ride with it. (High of eighty degrees tomorrow...oh....bunch of bikes on Main St in Daytona afterwork today!!!!)

Chuck

Ok....first ride with a 13" madstad. Our impressions:
The MADSTAD works. I am 5' 10", Barbara is 5' 5" and sits on a 1" thick seat pad. I installed the shield as instructed. We rode about 70 miles to stay over night in Mt. Dora. When we got there, I asked her about the ride. Barbara said she had less buffeting, and the wind noise to her ears was alot less.She said the original shield always seemed to want to 'lift' her glasses....the MADSTAD reduced that.
It worked for me....but....the 13 shield, I had completely raised, and almost full forward. If I had to do it again, I would go with the 14.5".....OR....have the 13" shields holes drilled 1" lower. My shield while riding, was to the top of the slot and had no more adjustment UP...plenty DOWN. The medium tint, for me, was fine. Like has been said before, kind of like looking through sunglasses.
That said, Barbara was happy....I am happy....just would have gone with a 14.5"...not enough that I am going to re-pack my shield....send it back for a replacement. Just thoughts for others.

Chuck

OH....our top speed might have been 70 MPH once, while passing.....mainly 55 MPH.....some 65 MPH. I have bought many things that were 'cures'....but I will say I am happy with my MADSTAD purchase.

Good review. I have a 2006, so a slightly lower fairing by 1.5". Now you have me hoping the 14.5 is tall enough. Don't you wish the MOCO would sell after market product at the dealerships so we could have a look before pushing the buy botton? Thanks again Mensh. By the way you are lucky you live in Florida, meaning you get deliveries in days. I ordered three weeks ago, still waiting. Same thing happened when I ordered the GADS. I think it is easier to order from Asian manufacturers than American through Canada Customs.

Those pics was 13", in full up.....so a 14.5" could still look "cool" riding with it down.....plenty of room for a 14.5 to lay low.

Chuck

Those pics was 13", in full up.....so a 14.5" could still look "cool" riding with it down.....plenty of room for a 14.5 to lay low.

Chuck
..on another side note, I have the Harley windshield trim, and on the ends of the trim....there seems to be a 1/2" gap between the fairing and the windshield. Nothing that is OVERLY apparant...but I don't know how to adjust it out. OH....and I may have mentioned else where.....have a couple extra 'well nuts' on hand. The rubber does not seem to last forever. I was able to fanagle mine to fit one one more time...but for and extra buck or two...have extras.

Chuck

Im about 5'6". Im looking at 11inch. Any thoughts? I read lots of guys goin with 13inch. Also how does these work in rain with the air going underneath. Thanx. Looking to order right away so if anyone can comment would be great.

Discussion starter · #51 ·
Looks good, Chuck. I have a 14.5" on my 09 and works great. Same feedback from my wife.

My wife and I were in Mt. Dora yesterday it was packed. Ate at http://www.copacabanacubancafe.com/Home_Page.html Really good.

How bout the weather this past weekend. Best riding day yet :)

See you on the road!
I love my Madstad. I uncovered the bike and looked at it again today. It hasn't been above 20 degrees here since installed it about a week ago. Maybe I'll look at it again tommorrow.

Im about 5'6". Im looking at 11inch. Any thoughts? I read lots of guys goin with 13inch. Also how does these work in rain with the air going underneath. Thanx. Looking to order right away so if anyone can comment would be great.
They work as well as any other shied in the rain , which kinda sucks on a road glide. :mad: . Even at your height, I'd still get the 13". You can always drop it way down.

They work as well as any other shied in the rain , which kinda sucks on a road glide. :mad: . Even at your height, I'd still get the 13". You can always drop it way down.
I actually found that if I tilt the shield back towards me so that it is almost parallel to the base that the rain protection is much better than any other shield. You still get wet because you are on a bike but....:p Once you increase the air speed between the base and the shield it helps break up the rain drops so you get misted instead of pelted with larger drops. You can actually see they bigger drops breaking up as the hit the airstream.

I actually found that if I tilt the shield back towards me so that it is almost parallel to the base that the rain protection is much better than any other shield. You still get wet because you are on a bike but....:p Once you increase the air speed between the base and the shield it helps break up the rain drops so you get misted instead of pelted with larger drops. You can actually see they bigger drops breaking up as the hit the airstream.
I have the original bracketz , so it stays at a 57 degree angle. All I know is , I always get soaked when riding in the rain. :D

Lol! Well like I said you will still get wet but it's not a beating in the face if you don't wear a helmet with a shield. If it weren't for all the crazy cagers I actually don't mind riding in the rain. :D

I just ordered the base for my RG so I can use the 16" shield I bought on here. I'm pretty excited to try it out.

What degree's is everyone using? I'm 6'3, all legs. Hoping this will help me hear my music better cruising the highway.

Went ahead and ordered the 11inch dark. Anyone had them do any engraving and if so how did it turn out.

Most are running between 57 to 60. I'm right at 60 most of the time but I move it around depending on weather. You will find your own preference and yes you will be able to hear your tunes better.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
Thanks! Yeah I was blocking the wind with my hands above the windshield and it worked, so I'm pretty excited to get the Madstad.

41 - 59 of 59 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.