Road Glide banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my new setup this year lasted about 3 months before I blew both front speakers on a 3 hr ride.

Speakers I blew were Infinity Kappa 62.11

I got some Hertz CV 165 speakers. Did not fit.
So I got some Hertz HCX 165 speakers. Those did not fit, even though someone told me they would..

Serenity now..

Now I am at a loss. Looking for some front speakers that might last and just might fit in my 06'. and might handle the power.

I have a Alpine CDE HD149BT Head unit and a Cerwin Vega B52 1000w AMP.

@Spazz I was looking at the soundz street because that is the top of my Budget for a new pair, so would like to hear your input if possible. There is a dealer in my area over at Wild Prairie HD, so I could stop over there as well.

As always, thanks in advance from someone who is without a clue on this stuff...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Whatever you buy, make sure you set it up properly --- the amp puts about 250Wrms into those Kappa's, rated for 75Wrms. That's more power than the speaker was designed to handle. To get the most out of that setup, perhaps consider the following:

+ Match the input sensitivity/gain of the amp and headunit so it doesn't ever sound distorted. Distortion kills speakers and proper matching really helps improve sound by making the most use of the available dynamic range of the system.

+ Set your HPF crossover on the amplifier to match the F0 (resonance frequency) of the speaker (75Hz in case of the Kappa's) to reduce distortion and over-excursion.

+ Make sure the speaker has enough enclosure volume. Speakers are very inefficient so most of the amp's power turns into heat (magnets function as heatsinks too) that needs to dissipate. Excessive heat caused by over-powering, distortion or too small enclosure volume (so heat can't dissipate) reduces the speaker's life.

Hope this helps. Let me know what you end up squeezing in there but make sure it's baffled good, otherwise you're just wasting bass.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Arc Moto 602's can handle a lot of power and sound pretty darn good. That is what I am running on my Biketronics 4180 system.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts