Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
installed 7 1/4 J&M this morning. cost $222 on ebay.
bass is slightly better
treble is slightly better
volume is 20% better.
Overall I am disappointed, even ad says "I would not be disappointed"

I am not looking for the best audio on the planet. I do not want to spend a lot of money. I just want to hear the dang thing at 70 MPH. I only want front fairing speakers.

Options:
1. Return the J&M 7 1/4 for $222 credit and replace with the J&M 7 1/4 Rokkers for $339. No amp.

2. Keep the ones just installed and add 125.2 BX Arc Audio for $349.

3 Other suggestions for $500 max budget.

Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
amp, make use of the speakers that you already have.

·
Registered
8,225 Posts
Agree,.. get an amp, you won't be dissapointed even at 100 mph.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I got the Rokkers from Phat performance parts for $279.95 and the J&M 250w amp for $324.95. free shipping. 5% discount for orders over $300. $2 for insurance..Total $576. I'm happy with it. I think it sounds better at half volume while going 80. Also authorized dealer so warranty is good too as opposed to some you get off e-bay.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I just bought the 7.25" speakers and the 250w amp from J & M audio. I'm waiting to get my radio back from Iron Cross audio (backlight repair). Can't wait to hear the new sound!!

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
J&M told me if you were not going to run an amp to just get the 7.25s. The Rockers are meant to be run with an amp. without an amp they sound just like the 7.25s. I am in the same boat as you, without the amp they are OK but I think I will get an amp. Wish I would have gone with the Rockers since I now will be adding the amp.

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Amp

Well, thedude, looks like we get to remove the fairing ...AGAIN!. Fun stuff.

·
Registered
8,225 Posts
Wish I would have gone with the Rockers since I now will be adding the amp.
Call J&M up and tell them you want the "upgrade" 7.25 rokkers. You pay the full $279 but once you send your old 7.25's back to them, the send you $100 back.

·
Registered
28 Posts
7.25 with Amp

I have the "old" 7.25" Speakers with the J&M AMP...way better than stock, can hear my tunes at 80MPH without issue...Now that the "Rokkers" are out I have already ordered the "UPGRADE"...so $279 and will send my older 7.25's back for the $100.00 credit...so the COST is $179.00 based on visual and other comments, features on these speakers are much better, also NOTE per J&M there is NO POINT in upgrading from the base 7.25 speakers to the ROKKERS UNLESS you ARE going to use an AMP.

Per J&M it is good to modify the "Gain" settings on the AMP (J&M) to make the most of the new ROKKER speakers, which I am going to do...make sure you are careful with modding the AMP...

All in all...its a great set up for the price...speakers and amp are light...I have had them in my bike for about a year, but am always looking for just a little more and think I will be happy with the ROKKERS...I will update after I have them installed this Wednesday.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I talked with a guy from J&M last weekend at the J and P open house. I told him I was a little dissapointed and all he did was tell me I should adjust the settings on my ipod. I told him I was considering an amp but he did not mention a swap for the Rockers. I even told him I wish I had gone with the Rockers to begin with. Chainsaw, do you have the name of the guy you talked to? How much of a differance is there between the amped rockers and the amped 7.25s?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Rokker Upgrade

Try sending an email to [email protected] is the president of the company...it may take a few hours but he will directly answer you...and any questions you may have.

I think you stated before that you DID NOT have the amp...the speaker performance will not be that great without it...

John @ J&M helped me with the upgrade process for my speakers and I have had them in my bike since the Laughlin ride last year, he may be able to help you with getting a refund or an upgrade kit where you are only swapping certain parts.

I have had very good luck and "sound" from my J&M 7.25's with an amp...I know there are lots of systems out there...I think I mentioned before that I will be installing the Rokker Version tomorrow and will let you know what I think. The builder I am going to has heard Hawg Wired, Biketronics, etc...so I am curious to get "his" opinion on the sound versus other set ups...

·
Registered
272 Posts
Bottom line: Do the regular 7.25 speakers sound "ok" or "sufficient" with the amp, as the Rokker's do????? I just purchased the regular 7.25 speakers with the 250 watt amp last week, and am having them installed later today. I was not aware of the Rokker speakers and frankly, I just wanted some more sound, above the stock speakers, without an amp (which I had previously). Hopefully, the regular 7 1/4's with the amp should be good enough! :)

·
Registered
8,225 Posts
The regular 7.25's with the amp sounds great. For most riders, it will be enough. At half volume you can hear it clearly at 70mph unless you have really loud pipes. The Rokkers with the same 250w J&M amp,.. you get the same results at about 1/4 volume. 1/2 to 3/4 volume will rock you standing still, and can be heard clearly at 80 to 100mph. Its a nice improvement, and IMO worth the upgrade if your already running the amp.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I think "ChainSaw" has got it right...I have the 7.25 and the amp in my bike and am happy with the sound...I have louder MGS True Dual Exhaust and can hear my music at 70-80mph.

I am looking for a little more...so am switching to the ROKKER speakers, I use my Zune MP3 player most of the time for my music...the "loudness" of the music depends a lot on the quality of the recording as well.

If you have just purchased the speakers and amp and have not done the install, I think it would be wise to send back the regular 7.25's and get the ROKKERS...

Again, I think you'll be happy with the 7.25 and amp, but if you have not installed and have the cash, might as well go for a little more. I will post as soon as mine are in.

·
Registered
446 Posts
There are other factors you need to consider when talking about sound systems.

1) Do you wear a helmet? If so are your ears exposed or are they covered
2) How tall is your shield? How much wind do you get hit with?
3) Are you listening to AUX or CD/Radio?
4) How loud is your exhaust.

I would have to say overall I'm pretty happy with my old J&M 7.25 with the 250 watt amp. At times when I'm on the highway with my iPod I wish it was a little more clearer but for the most part this setup does a great job.

(1/2 helmet ears exposed, 14WV windshield very little wind, with V&H High Output with power duals)

·
Registered
8,225 Posts
I have a question for you guys with Ipods and mp3 players on your bike. It could just be me, as I had my XM on the bike running through a radio shack auxilary wired plug. To me, I would have to really push the speakers to get enough sound. Playing a CD on the other hand,.. sounded the best by far. I have since totally taken my XM inno off the bike and just burn CDs since the quality is so much better. Am I crazy? ;)

·
Registered
446 Posts
I have a question for you guys with Ipods and mp3 players on your bike. It could just be me, as I had my XM on the bike running through a radio shack auxilary wired plug. To me, I would have to really push the speakers to get enough sound. Playing a CD on the other hand,.. sounded the best by far. I have since totally taken my XM inno off the bike and just burn CDs since the quality is so much better. Am I crazy? ;)
I'm puzzled as well ... CD/MP3's sound about as good as my iPod but strangely Pandora threw my DRIOD sounds the best??? ... that is until I lose 3G!

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I don't even know if my CD player works. I guess I should try it out. On my old bike which was an 03 with the old style radio my ipod was louder than the CD or my XM. I'll let you know about the HK CD player the next time I take it out.

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
I was just talking about this last week. I think the same as you Chainsaw. The Cds most definately sound better . Even the ones I burn in mp3 file sound better than playing my mP3 player through the AUX input. I even believe the radio sounds better then the mp3 player playing through the AUX input.

·
Registered
8,225 Posts
I will also add, that I do have my level on my MP3/XM turned all the way up. Initially thats what I thought the problem was, but found it was already turned up. After washing my bike tonight I just jammed out in the garage with the J&M's rokkin' DAMN they sound good :D

1 - 20 of 32 Posts