Road Glide banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So now that the fairings are apart for paint I am thinking of a mild and not too expensive speaker upgrade. I have chosen to choose between the Harley BOOM (77028-10) or the J&M HRSK-7252GTM kit.

What are your thoughts? I want to keep the whole setup upgrade around $200.

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
1. Are you gonna add an amp in the future?
2. Research the stereo threads.
I had Booms and they are ok, ended up reading that if you wanna do loud and clear do it once and go with a high end audio speaker. I ended up with Hertz. I have some friends that like the Alpine 6.5" speakers. Alpines can be had for about $105. In my opinion they are alot better than the booms. Had J&M on my previous road glide, was not impressed.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1. Are you gonna add an amp in the future?
2. Research the stereo threads.
I had Booms and they are ok, ended up reading that if you wanna do loud and clear do it once and go with a high end audio speaker. I ended up with Hertz. I have some friends that like the Alpine 6.5" speakers. Alpines can be had for about $105. In my opinion they are alot better than the booms. Had J&M on my previous road glide, was not impressed.
Torqu, I did read a lot of the stereo threads but could not get the comparison info for which I was seeking.

I don't plan on an amp and would be satisfied with higher end non-amplified speakers. I'm not that big on an audiophile while on the bike.
So in this thread you would opt for the Booms over the J&Ms, given only that choice?
I'll look at Hertz and Alpines as well.

Thanks for the scribes!

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
You will have many opinions stated here. They are like A**holes, everybody has one.

I added the J&M 7.25 speakers to my RG H/K with out any amp. Noticeable difference.
I won a Hawg Wired amp/speaker kit at SWII. So I replaced the speakers with the amp.
Love the amp, I wish I had kept the J&M speakers. Never had a problem and they were rated 140 Watts.

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
and here's another opinion...I would wait until you had enough cash to add an amp and speakers---do it once the first time. I went with the Arc Audio amp and Focal speakers and am very happy.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So what I am reading from the posts and other outside influences that changing out JUST the speakers without amping up is pretty lateral. If I expect significant jump in quality sound that good speakers that get the use of an amp is really going to make the difference.

OK, I understand now.

Actually I would get more from my sound system if I could Bluetooth my HK radio to my Scala G9 headsets in our helmets....

Options here???

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
So what I am reading from the posts and other outside influences that changing out JUST the speakers without amping up is pretty lateral. If I expect significant jump in quality sound that good speakers that get the use of an amp is really going to make the difference.

OK, I understand now.

Actually I would get more from my sound system if I could Bluetooth my HK radio to my Scala G9 headsets in our helmets....

Options here???
Personal opinion is your not going to be happy long run with just speakers. Plug and play sets are the easiest but piece together systems are ALOT cheaper. Got my stuff off amazon for around 400. That's speakers, amp, cable, and adapter rings. Good luck it took me months to narrow down what I wanted. :).

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
I have the JM 7.25 speakers. My wife's SG has the HD Boom and IMO hers sounded better until I installed a Sony head unit. The aftermarket stereo will make a huge difference. I've yet to add an amp and am currently satisfied with the money spent.

·
Registered
210 Posts
If you ride in the rain, make sure the speakers, kit or components you choose are at a minimum marine rated. Some car audio will be dead the first time it gets wet. "Bike audio" brands like Boom, J&M, Hawg-Wired, HogTunes are more robust than car audio to deal with the vibration on a bike as well.

Nothing wrong with any of the audio options, just make sure you understand what you are buying.

Good luck.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OK, I ordered up the Hogtunes 5x7REV/RG kit today. Boosting the OEM 20 watt system to 70 watts should suffice for my first foray into sound upgrades this time out. Fairings are disassembled for painting and wanted to make whatever upgrades inside I could.... for now.

Additional upgrades I need to decide on and could use some input is that I have the one power port on the lower left side inner fairing below the storage box. I have been using this as the power source for my Garmin Nuvi GPS. This cable has the traffic dongle on it for traffic alerts, and has been minimally helpful in that kind of traffic. I may give up this feature to simplify my power source for it with additional power need for HB mounted cell phone and a Bluetooth device like the Sena SM10 (want my HK radio Bluetooth to our ScalaRideer G9 headsets).

Suggestions please?

·
Registered
714 Posts
Personal opinion is your not going to be happy long run with just speakers. Plug and play sets are the easiest but piece together systems are ALOT cheaper. Got my stuff off amazon for around 400. That's speakers, amp, cable, and adapter rings. Good luck it took me months to narrow down what I wanted. :).

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
I'm going to go searching for posts by you, but would you mind posting what you ended up piecing together? (or linking to where you have already)

·
Registered
849 Posts
I have the Boom speakers with no amp in my bike. They are ok, better than stock, but, still distort at the high end.

A buddy of mine has the J&M with no amp and they actually seem to perform much better with what seems to be no distortion at the high volume end, or at least a lot less than the boom.

·
Registered
849 Posts
OK, I ordered up the Hogtunes 5x7REV/RG kit today. Boosting the OEM 20 watt system to 70 watts should suffice for my first foray into sound upgrades this time out. Fairings are disassembled for painting and wanted to make whatever upgrades inside I could.... for now.

Missed this post. I'm sure you will be happier with anything other than stock. I'm thinking I will go with the Rokker when I get the duckets together...

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
I'm going to go searching for posts by you, but would you mind posting what you ended up piecing together? (or linking to where you have already)
I got alpine Type R component speakers 6.5 size. Got the adapters from amazon(they were hawgwired) and got the 12g wire off of amazon as well. My amp was a memphis audio mini amp. I forgot the actual name of it. I have pictures of the boxes if you want me to send you some pics of it all. Very happy with the outcome. Loud and clear at highway speeds. Not water proof but have been caught in some good rain and thier holding up fine.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts