Road Glide banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is probably a stupid question, but when it comes to the stereo I know the minimum. So I bought a pair of new J&M grills for my 2000 RG. Each grill has two tweeters(?) that are wired together. The stock wiring in the fairing just has two wires going to each speaker. Now do I have to use those piggyback spade connectors to use the speakers on the grill along with the main speaker? and is there a right way to hook them up- there is no pos or neg on the wiring.
And one more question that goes with this. I have an amp that I'll be hooking up, and it has it's own wiring that goes to the speakers. What do I do with the stock speaker wires hanging there- use them for the tweeters?
The speakers in the grill have a regular size spade and a small one. Do I modify a connector or what? Thanks in advance.:confused:

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
1,775 Posts
If I remember correctly there are plugs on the wiring harness for your amp to hook the tweeters. I think they are on the wiring going to your speakers. Check the wiring diagram for your amp. It should explain the setup.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the only wires I've seen are the two that go to each speaker. Those are the stock wires on the harness. The way it hooks up with the aftermarket amp is the head unit goes out to the amp, then from the amp to the speakers. So the stock speaker wiring on the harness is not used. RCA cables out of the head to the amp. Then the wiring that comes with the amp is used for the speakers.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
From what I have read, you bought just the speaker grill with the speakers in them.
It has two wires that feed them. If you look, one is a regular spade, and the other is a small spade.
The Positive and negative connections is regulated by the size of the spade connectors.
If you buy the J&M speakers, it comes with two connections for the grill and speaker feed.
They run parallel wiring and as you said, use the Piggyback connectors.
Just make sure the small is to the small. And the large is to the large.

·
Registered
54 Posts
And remember if you didn't get the speakers with the grills you ahve to have a crossover for the tweets and mids to work properly or you will blow tweets and mids ... the j&m speakers have a crossover built onto them for that

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did not get J&M speakers. And the tweeters are built into the grill. Are crossovers something I can buy separately? The speakers in there now are aftermarket, with tweeters built on them. Had Hogtune speakers in originally, but when I swapped out the grills, the cones were shredded. Should I just go with J&M speakers or another brand with built in crossovers and be done with it? The speakers in there now are sheeeit.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have the j&m speakers am happy with them so far and I am still running stock radio and a aftermarket amp but think next mod will be aftermarket radio they say there is no comparison in the 2 that the aftermarket beats stock hands down....

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 7 of 7 Posts