Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, this has probably been discussed before...but I couldn't find it. I'm looking to upgrade my stock speakers and add an amp. For now I'm only replacing existing speakers, I may add 2 more to the inner faring later on. What do you guys recommend between these 3? I have a lot of experience with JL in boats and they are great speakers! But I have no experience with bike speakers. I'm buddies with a local stereo shop that will hook me up with a pair of JL 6.5's for around $150 and either an Alpine or a Fosgate amp for about $150-200. What do you guys recommend. I want the best sound quality, loudness/volume isn't top priority.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Stay away from J&M and HW if your wanting sound quality. Ive heard BOTH at JP Cycles open house and wasnt impressed. My Boom Audios sounded similar to them.

·
Registered
998 Posts
I had J&M and they were OK. Very loud but I wasn't crazy about the tinny sound they had. I replaced them with Hawg Wired ZX and I love them. Venomized, I did not see a Hawg Wired boot at the J&P open house, I wonder if you are confusing them with Hog Tunes. I also have had Hog Tunes and there is a huge differance between them and Hawg Wired. I think you will be better off listening to them yourself to make up your mind. Do a search on here on speakers and you will find a ton of opinions.

·
Administrator
12,452 Posts
I have to agree with "the dude", only thing I'll add is if you're able to get top shelf JL speakers for that price, I'd probably go that direction, the Hawgwired are going to be a little more $$$$.

Sent from my SPH-L710

·
Registered
286 Posts
I have only had ARC Audio and JL Audio - and JL audio (2 pair in the faring) was a significant upgrade.

I have a Sony head unit, a JL Audio amp, and 2 pair of the JL Audio 6.5's in the fairing. See picks in my album.

The second pair of speakers in the fairing really did the trick. I ride with a full face helmet and can finally hear the stereo at speed.

I was luck enough to find 2 pair of these used and they kick a$$:

http://www.jlaudio.com/zr650-csi-car-audio-zr-speaker-systems-91122

·
Registered
852 Posts
Hawg Wired and JM both offer great entry level options and the customer service for both companies is great.

I would avoid the Hog Tunes and HD Boom stuff.

Buy the best speakers you can afford, while keeping in mind that the JM/Arc amp is not 2ohm stable and the Hawg wired CS or RS is two ohm stable.

If the speakers you choose are 4 ohm then you don't have any worries either way.

·
Registered
852 Posts
I just told you wrong, I just looked at the JM web site and their new ROKKER XT DSP amps are 2 OHM stable

Sorry John....

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the input! I am leaning towards the Hawg Wired Stage 3 system. It has the RS Amp (400w) 2ohm, and the ZX series 6.5" speakers. It gives me the option to add more speakers later and already have the power to push them.

If anyone has any feedback on these speakers and amp I'd love to hear it!

·
Registered
264 Posts
Thanks for all the input! I am leaning towards the Hawg Wired Stage 3 system. It has the RS Amp (400w) 2ohm, and the ZX series 6.5" speakers. It gives me the option to add more speakers later and already have the power to push them.

I dont have feedback on the system mentioned above but I would love to comment on what I have going on with my bike so here goes...

I already had the Rokker 500w amp and Rokker speakers in my fairing (that once tuned correctly, sound AWESOME) so here is what I am working on now...

1. J&M Subwoofer kit ($297 @ Ebay)
2. Rockford Fosgate R400D amp ($150 @ Ebay)
3. Polk MM521 ($120 @ Ebay).
4. Polk MM651 ($150 Ebay)

I am installing the 7" Rokker woofers in the bags in their respective location. The 6.5 and 5.25 speakers will be mounted on the front side of the saddlebags (yes, the angled down portion with the 6.5 on top and 5.25 on the lower, narrower section). Only thing is I will have to switch which amps power which speakers (gotta make the Rockford the first one coming off the radio because it has pass thru and the Rokker doesnt). So, the Rockford should be about 100 watts RMS each channel when paired with the Rokker 2 ohm fairing speakers and subwoofers, and the Rokker amp should be putting out about 90 watts RMS each channel to the 2.7 ohm Polk speakers.

All told, I will have about $1,100 on my stereo system that has 6 speakers, two subs and two amps and puts out about 900 watts max (bought the Rokker amp and speakers from a show bike that was only used as a demo at one Rally so the setup was basically new for $300), which includes me doing my own work cutting the bags and running the wires, and the wiring kit ($75) from local stereo shop. I have heard the Polk speakers on many bikes at local bike nites and they sound tremendous, and I am certainly confident that the Rokker subs will not disappoint. Could I have gone cheaper with 6x9 speakers instead of the Rokker woofers and separate 5.25 and 6.5 speakers? Yes, definitely. But I wanted speakers dedicated to lows (which the Rokker woofers are), and dedicated to mids and highs (the Polks take care of that). And everything has to be marine certified (just a personal preference). I have seen people on this forum spend twice what I spent and only have half the output, clarity and quality.

Biggest word of advice is this...don't always go with certain stuff just because it is "Motorcycle certified" or "Motorcycle specific". Do your homework, speak to local stereo shops in your area that do custom bikes, and you can EASILY save half to 3/4 on your build. No knock against Hawg Wired, but you are looking to spend $700 on a statge 3 kit (which only has an amp and two speakers) when you can get equal (if not better) amp, two speakers, mounting rings, and wiring kit for about $300-350 (and I highly doubt that the Hawg Wired stuff is worth DOUBLE the Rockford/Polk Audio combo I mentioned above). Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts

I'm a HW fan and I installed this system in my buddies RGU without the tour pak , he loves it , sounds great , good volume and clear , Frank Drago gave him a great price too

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
I dont have feedback on the system mentioned above but I would love to comment on what I have going on with my bike so here goes...

I already had the Rokker 500w amp and Rokker speakers in my fairing (that once tuned correctly, sound AWESOME) so here is what I am working on now...

1. J&M Subwoofer kit ($297 @ Ebay)
2. Rockford Fosgate R400D amp ($150 @ Ebay)
3. Polk MM521 ($120 @ Ebay).
4. Polk MM651 ($150 Ebay)

I am installing the 7" Rokker woofers in the bags in their respective location. The 6.5 and 5.25 speakers will be mounted on the front side of the saddlebags (yes, the angled down portion with the 6.5 on top and 5.25 on the lower, narrower section). Only thing is I will have to switch which amps power which speakers (gotta make the Rockford the first one coming off the radio because it has pass thru and the Rokker doesnt). So, the Rockford should be about 100 watts RMS each channel when paired with the Rokker 2 ohm fairing speakers and subwoofers, and the Rokker amp should be putting out about 90 watts RMS each channel to the 2.7 ohm Polk speakers.

All told, I will have about $1,100 on my stereo system that has 6 speakers, two subs and two amps and puts out about 900 watts max (bought the Rokker amp and speakers from a show bike that was only used as a demo at one Rally so the setup was basically new for $300), which includes me doing my own work cutting the bags and running the wires, and the wiring kit ($75) from local stereo shop. I have heard the Polk speakers on many bikes at local bike nites and they sound tremendous, and I am certainly confident that the Rokker subs will not disappoint. Could I have gone cheaper with 6x9 speakers instead of the Rokker woofers and separate 5.25 and 6.5 speakers? Yes, definitely. But I wanted speakers dedicated to lows (which the Rokker woofers are), and dedicated to mids and highs (the Polks take care of that). And everything has to be marine certified (just a personal preference). I have seen people on this forum spend twice what I spent and only have half the output, clarity and quality.

Biggest word of advice is this...don't always go with certain stuff just because it is "Motorcycle certified" or "Motorcycle specific". Do your homework, speak to local stereo shops in your area that do custom bikes, and you can EASILY save half to 3/4 on your build. No knock against Hawg Wired, but you are looking to spend $700 on a statge 3 kit (which only has an amp and two speakers) when you can get equal (if not better) amp, two speakers, mounting rings, and wiring kit for about $300-350 (and I highly doubt that the Hawg Wired stuff is worth DOUBLE the Rockford/Polk Audio combo I mentioned above). Hope this helps.
Since you are in the Atlanta area I would like to hear it after you are done. I'm just south of the airport.

Mike

·
Administrator
12,452 Posts
Interesting set up Eshaw301 I'd like to hear it also. Are you by any chance going to SWIV?

Sent from my SPH-L710

·
Registered
188 Posts
I put in the ZX in the factory location with a RF amp. I can't even tell that I also put RFs in the inner fairing. They are completely drowned out.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Administrator
12,452 Posts
I put in the ZX in the factory location with a RF amp. I can't even tell that I also put RFs in the inner fairing. They are completely drowned out.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
That shouldn't happen. If you disconnect the other pair can you tell they're gone? I had a set of RFs, they were nice, then I went with Infinity Reference series, they were better IMO, now I have Infinity Kappas, I'm very happy.

Sent from my SPH-L710

1 - 20 of 36 Posts