Road Glide banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK, so i just finished the speaker and amp install. The process was not too bad. hardest part was getting the darn fuel tank off and running the wire harnesses. So I got the factory wire harness buttoned back and tank back on. and had to test the stereo out. WOW!!! what a huge difference in sound. Crisp, clear sound and LOUD!! Soo glad I went with J&M over the BOOM. Definitely a MOD well worth it. Although now I'm gonna have to spend more money to get all gauge and radio faceplate lighting to match. That will go on the wish list.

So now I'm trying to install the Boom Ipod Interface. I have the modual mounted on top of the HK radio and now I'm stuck! I don't have a service manual and dealer can't get one in till next week. I'm not sure what pins are what? Read through some forums on here and HD forums and saw some good write ups with pics but I'm still unsure on the numbering of the pins. thinking about just putting the fairing back on and have dealer do it. Anyone have any advice??

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update

Here are some pictures of the install.

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Update

More pics of install and finished look up front. Notice how the AMP mounts to the side of the HK radio on the RGU.

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update

OK so AMP and speaker install is done. For those that are still undecided on speaker upgrade I will say this. FOR THE PRICE, you CAN NOT beat the sound of the ROKKERs. Also John from J&M is a top notch guy and his customer service is outstanding. If you have any questions as to what set up is right for your ride just drop him an email and he will email you back and tell you what you need.
I found that easternperformance currently has the best prices on the J&M's and they ARE an authorized retailer. They too have quick shipping and a top notch customer service department.

I decided to wait on wiring the IPOD interface untill I can get ahold of a service manual to make sure i get it wired right. I plan on routing the IPOD into the left upper compartment so I ordered the CVO RG compartment liners and am waiting for them to come in. Once I have everything in order I will update the thread with install and finished pics.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
JayKS,

Thanks man. I may go ahead and try it before i put the nose back on.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Update

Decided to go back out and attempt the Ipod interface wiring. After reading through some great threads here and on HD forums and a lil help from a fellow forum member here I was able to get it all wired up. [thanks for the help BklynRGU and JayKS]. I chose not to run the Ipod to my saddlebag because I didn't want to spend the extra cash for the additional cable and pouch nor did I want to drill through the bag. I ended up running it to the left side compartment.

Attempted to put the fairing back on this evening and had some trouble. I finally removed the headlights to make sure I got the fairing on the hooks and am still having issues with the side tabs lining up.:mad: Messed with the darn thing for 2 hrs!:mad: Double checked the wiring harnesses to ensure they were all tied up tight. I did notice some inprints on the accustic foam pad that came with the speakers so I'm wondering if that it what is causing the problem. Called it quits for the day and I will try again tomorrow.

Will post the pics of the IPOD interface install tomorrow as well.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Final update

Ok,
Figured out that I needed to move the AMP bracket up as far as it would go in order for it to clear the fairing. I also ended up shaving off some of the foam padding. Not a big deal. Was my fault I didnt have the padding lined up right.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Install pics

Here is the 35 pin wire harness from the HK radio. Notice the little white pins with no wires. That is where the wires from the Ipod Y cable go.

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Install pics

I ended up sliding the red block out as others have mentioned in order to get the wires to "click" in place.

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Install pics

I ran the Ipod cable to my left compartment. Still waiting on the CVO compartment liners and rubber grommet to complete the install.

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Install pics

Here she is all buttoned up ready to rock. Took her for a test ride and sound check. All I can say is that I am extremely pleased with the setup. At 80 MPH with the V&H High Outputs thundering I can hear my tunes clear as day. I also have to mention that through out my install I had emailed John from J&M with questions and issues that I ran into. He replied to every single one with advice. And even inquire about how sastified i was with his product. That is what I call top notch customer service!! I am in no way affiliated with J&M by the way. Thanks again to those here on roadglide forums for their install posts and replies. Definitely helped this old man get the install done.

"RIDE HARD"

Attachments

·
Registered
517 Posts
OK, so i just finished the speaker and amp install. The process was not too bad. hardest part was getting the darn fuel tank off and running the wire harnesses. So I got the factory wire harness buttoned back and tank back on. and had to test the stereo out. WOW!!! what a huge difference in sound. Crisp, clear sound and LOUD!! Soo glad I went with J&M over the BOOM. Definitely a MOD well worth it. Although now I'm gonna have to spend more money to get all gauge and radio faceplate lighting to match. That will go on the wish list.

So now I'm trying to install the Boom Ipod Interface. I have the modual mounted on top of the HK radio and now I'm stuck! I don't have a service manual and dealer can't get one in till next week. I'm not sure what pins are what? Read through some forums on here and HD forums and saw some good write ups with pics but I'm still unsure on the numbering of the pins. thinking about just putting the fairing back on and have dealer do it. Anyone have any advice??
Is the blue light sold separately or is it part of the kit?

·
Registered
909 Posts
Decided to go back out and attempt the Ipod interface wiring. After reading through some great threads here and on HD forums and a lil help from a fellow forum member here I was able to get it all wired up. [thanks for the help BklynRGU and JayKS]. I chose not to run the Ipod to my saddlebag because I didn't want to spend the extra cash for the additional cable and pouch nor did I want to drill through the bag. I ended up running it to the left side compartment.

Attempted to put the fairing back on this evening and had some trouble. I finally removed the headlights to make sure I got the fairing on the hooks and am still having issues with the side tabs lining up.:mad: Messed with the darn thing for 2 hrs!:mad: Double checked the wiring harnesses to ensure they were all tied up tight. I did notice some inprints on the accustic foam pad that came with the speakers so I'm wondering if that it what is causing the problem. Called it quits for the day and I will try again tomorrow.

Will post the pics of the IPOD interface install tomorrow as well.
Anytime time that's what we are here for besides we can help spend each others money

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Is the blue light sold separately or is it part of the kit?
The speaker LED rings are seperate. There are 2 different LED rings. One set is for lower mounted speakers and the other one is for the speakers in the fairing. The J&M part I used was LRHD-FS50. Pretty easy install. Just mount them between the speakers and speaker mount and power it from the cigerette lighter plug. No splicing is required, it is all plug and play. Comes with 2 LED rings and you can set each ring to what ever color you want...Red, Blue, Green, Orange,or Amber or all of the above. Check around to see who has them on sale. At the time I purchased easternperformance had the best price.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
CVO compartment liners advice?

Finally got the CVO compartment liners in yesterday. Definitely a huge diference than the ones from the P&A catalog. These things are compareable to the quality of the tourpak liner. Gonna drop them in this weekend. Can't decide if I'm gonna use glue, 3M tape, or velcro yet. I can see these things "walking away" by some stick fingers. Anyone have any advice?
I also have to cut some slits in the L one to route the Ipod cable through. Will post pics once I decide and get them in.

·
Registered
517 Posts
The speaker LED rings are seperate. There are 2 different LED rings. One set is for lower mounted speakers and the other one is for the speakers in the fairing. The J&M part I used was LRHD-FS50. Pretty easy install. Just mount them between the speakers and speaker mount and power it from the cigerette lighter plug. No splicing is required, it is all plug and play. Comes with 2 LED rings and you can set each ring to what ever color you want...Red, Blue, Green, Orange,or Amber or all of the above. Check around to see who has them on sale. At the time I purchased easternperformance had the best price.
Sweet in blue on blue!!! Thx for the info- ride safe!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Anytime time that's what we are here for besides we can help spend each others money
Ain't that the truth. Just when u thought u were almost done with the mods something else comes around.... Haa!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts