Road Glide banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just did the J&M speaker (part number HRUS-05-GTM-B) swap on my '04 FLTRI last night, along with replacing my stock head unit, which had been malfunctioning for years (the CD player quit years ago and the left speaker quit a few months back.) TracyB sold me the stock stereo replacement and it works like a charm.

The J&M speakers visually have larger magnets on the back, and the grills have the tweeters built in. Upon completion of the installation, I powered it up and the difference in sonic quality was noticable right away. There's a lot more volume and a lot of bass and treble improvement. I did the test before I reinstalled the outer fairing. You can see the speakers working, with the cones moving with increased bass frequencies.

Bottom line is, if you don't feel the need to replace your factory unit, but you want to improve the sound of your two speaker stereo, get a set of these J&M speakers. It's a drop in modification, takes little to no time to do, and the sonic improvement is noticeable right away. I got mine off of eBay for about $110. Money well spent...

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Thanks, looking to do an upgrade but don't want to break the bank. I will look into these.
+1 the J&M are on my wish list...

John's speakers - 7.25” Fairing Speaker Upgrade w/Black Grill-Tweeter/Mid 06-11 Harley® RoadGlide are 249.95 (-10% discount cupon from John) + free shipping = 224..95 (but I have seen these go for 199.99 shipped from some of his distributors)

and the Performance Fairing Speaker Upgrade w/Black Tweeter/Midrange ’06-’11 Harley® Road-Glide are 129.95 + free shipping = 116.95 (again, this is with John's discount... might be less via a distributor). These are 5.25"

The look, fit and finish, of either one looks great from the photos.

The Harley Davidson factory option - Boom!™ Audio High Performance Boom!™ Bagger Road Glide® Fairing Speakers - 77028-10 - are 116.95 + shipping from Zanotti Motor

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
BigDave, thanks you just helped me make my mind up. These will be ordered this next payday. Can't wait to hear the difference. Thanks alot for the post, very informative

·
Registered
203 Posts

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The Harley Davidson factory option - Boom!™ Audio High Performance Boom!™ Bagger Road Glide® Fairing Speakers - 77028-10 - are 116.95 + shipping from Zanotti Motor

FYI, the Boom speakers won't work with the pre-Harmon Karden stereos. I looked into it at the dealer. I don't know why. Might be an impedence issue. I thought a speaker is just a speaker, but you need to make sure whatever speaker you choose for your rig is specified for your year model bike.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
FYI, the Boom speakers won't work with the pre-Harmon Karden stereos. I looked into it at the dealer. I don't know why. Might be an impedence issue. I thought a speaker is just a speaker, but you need to make sure whatever speaker you choose for your rig is specified for your year model bike.
Yes, sorry... I was posting based on my search for my bike (2011). In mine the speakers are 2 ohms units. And you have to go with 2 ohms or you impact the power delivery of the radio.

J&M has those for '98-'05 and those speakers are 8 ohms...

http://www.jmcorp.com/ProductDetail.asp?ProductID=HRGS-7258GTM-B&PF=44

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
And there you have it. It IS an impedence issue.

My speakers are rated at 8 ohms. I know I can basically plug in to the factory harnesses and ad tour pak speakers. I'm assuming my factory stereo can handle that, but I doubt I'll ad the back speakers. I like the fact all I have to do to remove my tour pak is unhook the antenna and go.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
I got the J&M 7.25" speaker upgrade kit for my '09. I didn't feel the need for an amp. I just wanted to improve the sound I hear, not provide music for those around me.

I, too, saw an immediate improvement in the sound with the stock radio. And at Freeway speed, I can hear the words, not just the music.

The least expensive improvement i could have made to the stock radio. :D

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
J&M also makes an acoustic pad that is pre-cut to the RoadGlide Fairing (they also make it for our batwing brethren) and it improves the audio quality as well. Very cheap mod at only about $40. It improves the sound quality all the way around and if you already have the fairing off, what better time to do it

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
J&M also makes an acoustic pad that is pre-cut to the RoadGlide Fairing (they also make it for our batwing brethren) and it improves the audio quality as well. Very cheap mod at only about $40. It improves the sound quality all the way around and if you already have the fairing off, what better time to do it
The pad is included with the 7.25" Speaker kit.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I transferred the HogTunes speakers I had on my FLHTC to my FLTRU. Very disappointed, not much difference at all. Based on what I've read here, it seems J&M speakers may be in my future.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Good news, I'm waiting on my J&M's to arrive. I plan to paint my inner fairing on my just purchased '04 RG, so I thought now would be the time to swap the speakers out. I plan to keep the oem radio C/D player as it is still working fine. I didn't really do any research, and was starting to wonder about my purchase. As long as you guys say they sound better, I'll stay excited.

Steve

·
Registered
206 Posts
I don't now how it works with the J&M speakers, but '98-'05 head units do not have the jam to push my tweeter pod and I needed to add a amp in conjunction with the 5x7's.
The first shot is the '08 and the second the '03, like I said J&M might be different on power demands.....

Dirk

[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

·
Registered
505 Posts
After reading everyones comments I ordered a set of the J&M's yesterday from Phat Performance. On line they came up @ $199.95, plus no tax and free shipping, I used a coupon code from another forum HDFORMS and got a addtional %5 off which brought them down to $189.95. I know you can buy them cheaper on Ebay, but I didn't want to mess around and not have a warranty. Got my notice this morning that they have been shipped via UPS and will have them by Monday, looks like great service too!!!!
Thanks Guys

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Went for my first ride yesterday with the new speakers - the Bass was really good, so good I turned it down and upped the Treble. I cruised at 85 for a while and had great sound at less than half volumn and quarter AVC. I got the same deal $189 and I think it was well worth it. Takes all of a couple hours to install. :D

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
After reading everyones comments I ordered a set of the J&M's yesterday from Phat Performance. On line they came up @ $199.95, plus no tax and free shipping, I used a coupon code from another forum HDFORMS and got a addtional %5 off which brought them down to $189.95. I know you can buy them cheaper on Ebay, but I didn't want to mess around and not have a warranty. Got my notice this morning that they have been shipped via UPS and will have them by Monday, looks like great service too!!!!
Thanks Guys
Whats the coupon code? No way you can get them on ebay cheaper than that!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts