Road Glide banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I ran across a set of J&M replacements for the RG today. The guy wants $150 for them. He had them in his RG for about 6mos then traded it in for a Street Glide. Ok deal? He said he would give me an amp bracket with it. If I pic them up what would be a good amp to run with them? Like everyone else, I am looking for a little more depth to the sound quality. The J&M's he had in his SG with the Hog tunes amp sounded pretty good sitting still.

·
Registered
8,297 Posts
Dude unless there the J&M Rockkers, thats way too much. You can buy new for less. Check out ebay.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Honestly, I would just save your money and buy a good pair of 6 1/2'' speakers later on with a good amp. I have a pair of J&M's and they do make it a little better but I only paid like $50 on ebay for them.
These guys know what their doing...check out the site or call them to ask a question. I seen them in Laconia last week bikes are outrageously awesome.
http://www.awcycles.net/audio.html

·
Super Moderator
4,274 Posts
I think I paid about 200 for mine.
They are worth the upgrade, but they come with foam to cover the inside off the fairing

You can always add the amp later
:)

Sent from the Droid using Tapatalk

·
Registered
410 Posts
JM Sound

I just installed the Rokkers yesterday, depending on what you are looking for no amp needed, they sound great and much clearer.

·
Registered
8,225 Posts
If its just the 5.25 replacements then thats way to much. If its the 7.25"s thats not a bad price. The 7.25" rokkers are the way to go, but they haven't been out 6 months yet, so its not them.

·
Registered
940 Posts
You can get the 5.25s for a little over $100. 7.25s are under $210 on ebay and the rockers are about $265 on ebay. I talked with a guy from J&M and he told me if I was not going to run an amp then save some $ and just get the 7.25s. Thats what I did now three months later I want an amp. Learn from my mistake and get the rockers.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sounds like the Rokkers are the set up to have. Also from what I am gathering reading through the forums is the Hog Tunes isn't the greatest. Kewl guys, thanks for the info. I will look into the Rokkers. I also ran across bazooka amps..searching for info on that also.

Is there a better place than EBAY to get them from? I see the Rokker 7.25s with a 250 watt amp. Not sure if it comes with the sound deadening material. I figure if I am going to pull the front off, I had better get it right the first time....

·
Registered
8,225 Posts
The rokker kit will come with the padding,.. just make sure to order the road glide version. I can't help you out on pricing,.. lately I've just been going straight to J&M because they have outstanding customer service and take care of me.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Honestly, I would just save your money and buy a good pair of 6 1/2'' speakers later on with a good amp. I have a pair of J&M's and they do make it a little better but I only paid like $50 on ebay for them.
These guys know what their doing...check out the site or call them to ask a question. I seen them in Laconia last week bikes are outrageously awesome.
http://www.awcycles.net/audio.html
The Sedona Orange Roadglide at the booth was mine, probably the lousdest bike in Laconia. I was the guy doing most of the sales... since I work for the Manufacturers.

·
Registered
940 Posts
I had Hogtunes with no amp on my 03 and actually I didn't think they were bad for the price. They just don't have the volume the J&M 7.25s have, but I think they have as much or more bass. That is why I am thinking about an amp, I am looking for a fuller sound.

·
Registered
781 Posts
I have a set of J & M 7.25 speakers and amp. When I start up my bike, sometime the speakers are on sometimes they are off. When they are off, if I shut down the bike, turn the ignition to off and then back on, restart the bike and sometimes it comes on again. I've talked to J & M, and they told me to check the ground. That was good, I took off the tank and took out the battery to double check everything. Now, they told me to take the power off the lighter area and run it to the headlights. I have not done that yet, maybe a project tomorrow. Anyone have this problem or have a solution?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have had this problem and noticed that it happened when my bike was hot and difficult to start, like the battery was getting weak so I replaced the battery and everything has been fine since. I will guess that ther is not enough power going to the amp when starting the bike and it shuts down. turning the ignition off resets it.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Wow, I think I'll change my battery. It died once over the winter even though it was on a trickle charger. And it turns over slow, but always starts. I think I'll get a new battery.

·
Registered
781 Posts
You guys are great. Love this forum. I called the HD dealer $170!!! for a battery. He didn't even know how many cold cracking amps it put out or anything. I'm buying somewhere else. Maybe spend the same, but they'll know something about their batteries or I"ll not buy from them either.

·
Registered
659 Posts
East Penn-Dekka Battery makes HD AGM batteries

You can buy one from them for way less than HD sells

Click here to find a dealer

And even if you don't have a local dealer call one up
close to you, they can ship, still saves bucks...

·
Registered
781 Posts
Hey I want to thank all who gave advise here. I went out and found a deka battery at battery plus. It has 400 cca's and a 2 year warrenty for $126 dollars. I pulled harleys battery out, which felt heavier, and no where on it did it say what the cca's where but did say it had a 12 month warrenty. When I checked out other sites and it compared it with oem harley batterys. They came up with 250 cca's for harley batteries. Well anyway, it seems to have solved the problem. Sure turns over faster.

·
Registered
272 Posts
MP3 player

I bought a Sony MP3 player (8GB). It holds approx 2000 songs and I plugged it into my HK radio's auxiliary plug. The volume is more than loud enough and the sound is extremely clear! I also have a J & M 250 watt amp and the regular J & M 7.25 inch speakers. At 80 mph, I could hear it perfectly!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts