Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had my J&S Jack for many years now. Unfortunately I have had a few bottle jacks that have failed. But they have been replaced with zero issues. Well just had one replaced and they are trying a new manufacturer. Problem is the new bottle jacks have a different type of release valve. The old style had a little grip handle that made releasing easy. The new style has just a plug and a handle that attaches to release. Unfortunately this handle style makes it less than easy to lower the bike. There is play when attaching the handle to the release plug. And the handle itself is two pieces and there is a little play there as well. It is really hard to feel when the handle is actually gripping the valve screw. I didn't really feel I could lower the bike safely and easily. The old style can't be used in the new bottle jack because of a difference in diameter. Called last week and addressed this to Steve. He is actually gonna fab a release valve with the handles like the old style release that will fit the new style bottle jack.

And just got the new release valve today. It is the one on the left. The one on the right is what came with their older style bottle jacks. Makes releasing much easier.

That folks is going above and beyond to make a customer happy.

·
Registered
498 Posts
When they change manufacturers for the bottle jacks, J&S should go to one that laps the ball valve seat. I just did some load testing on some aircraft maintenance jacks. 12 out of 14 failed the load test which is to hold the load for five minutes without leaking down (25,000 lbs).

We took the valve apart on several jacks and found machining lines in them. The old jacks were lapped after machining to make them smooth so that the ball would seat and hold pressure. The Chinese apparently missed the memo on that one. The company that builds the jacks reverted back to a U.S. manufacturer that laps the seat. They found that it was cheaper to pay for the final polishing than to keep replacing the hydraulic jacks and/or valves.

I have been wanting to buy a J&S but have noticed on several reviews, that the bottle jacks fail and have to be replaced. Although the reviews always state that J&S does the swap with no hassles, it is still a hassle to pull the jack, ship it and wait on a new one.

That's great that they are making a release valve for you. The jack is a great design.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have been wanting to buy a J&S but have noticed on several reviews, that the bottle jacks fail and have to be replaced. Although the reviews always state that J&S does the swap with no hassles, it is still a hassle to pull the jack, ship it and wait on a new one.

That's great that they are making a release valve for you. The jack is a great design.

There is no return shipping involved. I have had two bottle jacks replaced and both time they were shipped to me for free and J&S said to just throw away the old one. It is a shame that these cheap bottle jacks are a flaw in what is an awesome jack. But as long as they keep replacing them until they find a trustworthy bottle jack manufacturer, I am fine with waiting a few days on a replacement.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I'm not knocking their jacks. I want one. If the bottle jack fails again and you can disassemble the part where the check valve is located, you might try getting some valve lap compound and polishing the seat. If it works, you will have a spare till they send a new one.

As I said, it is a well designed jack overall. The bottle jack is the weak link.

BTW, what was the failure? Did it just no longer jack up or did it just leak down under load?

I really appreciate you sharing this post. I have heard nothing but good words about J&S customer service. Most companies would just give a warranty period and then you would be on your own. The fact that they continue to support their customers speaks volumes.

·
Registered
111 Posts
When they change manufacturers for the bottle jacks, J&S should go to one that laps the ball valve seat. I just did some load testing on some aircraft maintenance jacks. 12 out of 14 failed the load test which is to hold the load for five minutes without leaking down (25,000 lbs).

We took the valve apart on several jacks and found machining lines in them. The old jacks were lapped after machining to make them smooth so that the ball would seat and hold pressure. The Chinese apparently missed the memo on that one. The company that builds the jacks reverted back to a U.S. manufacturer that laps the seat. They found that it was cheaper to pay for the final polishing than to keep replacing the hydraulic jacks and/or valves.

Solution is really simple. They need to ask who builds pit bull bottle jacks and use them
I have an air- lift pit bull and I love it. Seriously considered J&S but went with pitbull after talking to both companies.

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
i had a slight leak develop on the bottle jack for my j&s. i called them and they sent me a new bottle jack, got it in 2 days from wi. they did not want the old one back so i did not have to pull it and then ship it to them. no down time :D

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Is this still an issue with the J&S jacks? I've been considering both J&S and Pitbull, but would go with Pitbull if J&S is still using these bottle jacks. But J&S sounds like a great company nevertheless.

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
whether it is or not i don't know, but i wouldn't let it sway you away from the j&s if that is what you really want. IF your bottle jack does develop a leak, they will ship you a new one. and it isn't like it's going to be gushing oil all over, you'll just have some seepage around the base. in a couple of days, you'll have a new bottle jack, 2 bolts later, it's replaced. throw old one away or 'repurpose' it for something else. hell, you could drain it and disassemble and reseal it....

pitbull is a good jack. j&s is a good jack. get whichever one you feel is going to suit your needs better, or that you feel you get a better deal on. the larger footprint of the pitbull is a turn off to some folks. while the pitbull does raise the bike a few inches higher, if that is important to you. either way, you won't go wrong. and you won't regret the purchase

·
Registered
934 Posts
I love my J&S but I did have a problem with the bottle jack. I just added some hydrolic oil and so far so good.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I've had my J&S for a year and a half or so, no problems so far. They are aware of the issue with bottle jacks and have changed suppliers (I believe). They've made a believer out of me and the jack is worth it. I leave my RGU up all winter (usually in various stages of modification) without fear. Highly recommend them.

Cheers,
G

·
Registered
498 Posts
I've had my J&S for a year and a half or so, no problems so far. They are aware of the issue with bottle jacks and have changed suppliers (I believe). They've made a believer out of me and the jack is worth it. I leave my RGU up all winter (usually in various stages of modification) without fear. Highly recommend them.

Cheers,
G
I agree. I bought one after this thread started and really do like it. No problems with the jack so far. Rolls the bike around easily in my shop and feels very stable.

·
Registered
623 Posts
another bottle jack failure

Unfortunately, although about the only thing I use my lift for is occasional cleaning and airing up the tires, my bottle jack failed. In their defense I've owned it about 4 years. Just called to get a replacement jack but at $45.00 (35 + 10 shipping) I'll wait. Not in a rush for it.

·
Registered
263 Posts
After 6 years of daily use my J&S started leaking a drop or two around the release valve. I turned the bottle jack on its side and pulled the release valve out. I then wrapped the threads on the valve with a couple of wraps of Teflon tape and screwed it back in. That was two years ago. No leaks since.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
I got mine in 2009. I had to replace one bottle jack about 3 years ago because I noticed it was leaking, but it was at my expense, as another poster said, about $45. That kind of irritated me, but generally I'm pleased with the jack, tho. Its been a true work horse through many mods and countless cleanings.

I have to say tho, my jack has never had the "older" style release valve on the right as you say. Mine must be *really* old. Mine just has a bolt that has two tabs to accomodate the little handle to twist it.

·
Registered
6,604 Posts
For those looking at purchasing a J & S Jack they are have a sale on shipping.
J&S JACKS SPRING SALE
Use promo code:
SPRING25
for 25% off shipping.
Shop now - sale ends SUNDAY MAY 1.
Hope this helps someone looking for one.
I have a J&S and love it.
My Roadglide has been on it now for a few weeks.
Mike U.

·
Registered
13 Posts
i have been happy with mine.ive had it for about 5 years .i also like the stand the have at one point i had the road glide and a electra glide

1 - 20 of 21 Posts