Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so im in the market and cant decide... looking at the harbor freight stuff just cause the rices are realistic for my budget. thinking jack cause of the lower cost and low profile, makes it easy to take off a wheel. however lift seems safer and more stable... any thoughts...?

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
The Sears jack has never let me down. No pun intended. If you have the room and the money go with a lift. The HF table has reported issues with bleed down list in threads.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
I've got both. The table is nice for doing many things. I still find that it is easeir (for me anyhow) to use the lift/jack to pull wheels. I've had my HF table for 4 pushing 5 years & no issues so far (I must have gotten a good one:D).........when you have the coupon to buy for $299.00 I don't think it can be beat......... Good Luck on your choice........

·
Registered
7,247 Posts
Ive had the red sears jack for several year without issues. I can leave the bike on it for days again without issue. I do eventually want to get a lift table thats air operated but cant justify it yet. If you have the room for a table then go for it. If no room pick up a jack. You can do just about everything on a jack. Strap the bike down and dig in

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
I've had the red craftsman jack for about 5 years now and never an issue with function. One thing I hate about it though is no matter what. When loading, it is too damn tall so I gotta roll the bike up on wood blocks to get it high enough to load and that has been the same for 3 different bikes.
Planning on getting rid of it and picking up a J&S or pitbull jack.

·
Registered
837 Posts
If you have the room for a lift get one!! My only regret is not buying one sooner I use it for everything.

I've got no exerience with the HF lift, but with all things I can only assume you get what you pay for so depending on how picky you are I would buy accordingly. I did buy a titan lift first but returned it because it looked like my 5yr old welded it together:eek:. I did ask them to exchange it for one with better welds but they said that's how they all are..... I can't complain to much tho they gave me a complete refund with no restocking fees or anything, just my time and gas to go get it/return it. I spent about $1200 on the one I have now from the local Auto Value. It came with the wheel chock, side extensions, and a scissor jack.

I also have a bike jack but, the only thing it gets used for since I bought the table lift is my kids powerwheels jeep:cool:

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
I have the yellow jack and have had it for years, it works great, the bike feels a little wobbly on it but once you get used to that its fine, the one benefit of a jack over a lift is I can pull the jack on the driveway and lift the bike and wash it fairly easily. I would love to have a lift but my garage is small and I just can't seem to break down and get it. I did the top end of my low rider a couple of winters ago on my jack, the bike was up all winter with no issues at all, I've used it on a low rider, rk, ultra, and now my rgu.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I see HF has two, one is around $100 and the other around $150. I like the low profileness of a jack. I would probably like the lift as well. But after giving it thought the jack would probably be my first purchase. So am I best doing the craftsman from sears. Look like its in between the HF ones on cost, about $125 or there abouts online. I do like the quality of craftsman tools... now I just need a 20% off sears coupon like HF has... :)

I am moving to a house this weekend from a condo and I will finally have a garage again. Its been horrible living in a condo the last couple years not have resources to work on my bike, tools, ect... I am so excited to finally have a man cave again.

·
Registered
6,082 Posts
I started out with the Craftsman red jack and it worked fine, but the lift table I have now is by far the way to go for me. I think anyone that uses a jack would prefer a lift if the budget and space allowed.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Its a no brainer! If you can afford it and have the space a lift is the ONLY way to go!

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
If you are going with a jack... Go with the aluminum one from HF or better yet the one from Sears. It is better than the metal ones and easier to move around IMHO.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I had the red sears for years and it was OK. Never lost a bike off it but it always scared me. You had to get it lined up just right. It also was not low enough for the custom. I had to hold the bike up to get it under. If I had room I would have a table but ended up with a J&S. It is fantastic. I use it a lot more becuase it is so easy to get the bike on it. In my opinion the J&S or Pitbull are worth the extra cash over the Sears or HF.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
i have the yellow one from sears (aluminum one) it is a good jack. a little wobbley but the bike stays on there very well. I'm either going to buy or build a lift in the future.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
I have a pitbull that I got off of craigslist used ($225). Doesn't take up as much room as a table so I can keep my other toys. I use it for servicing and cleaning the bike.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I have the J&S jack and it is very solid. I can get on the bike while up in the air all the way. I can push and pull on the bike and it moves very little. I'm not afraid to move the bike around either. It's nice to store the bike up in the air for the winter. Set the locks and no worry of bleed down even though my hyd jack does not bleed down at all. Used it on the RG Ultra and Road King. Still havn't lifted the sporty since the pipes are lower than the frame but I only tried once. I can see how a table would have a lot of use also. I see one in my future some day.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Picked up the Sears Craftsman jack (Red) this weekend... much more stable than the cheaper version I had. Clearance is a slight issue so I have to roll the bike off the kickstand slightly to get it all the way under. Went on sale this weekend for $99 so I figured I couldn't go wrong.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have both from HF. I replaced tire vise and have nothing but praise for this lift table. Bought a fat jack for it and can maintenance everything on the bike. If you have the room, buy the table.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts