Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a Big Red Motorcycle Jack that i have no confidence in... the bike doesn't look like it sits level... my brother has a Sears jack that seems a little more sturdy... either way those things are difficult to load my bike on by myself. I've seen a couple of shops around town use a jack like these center jacks from K&L and I want to know which is the best...

Any of you guys use this style jack and if so is one better than the other? These center jacks seem easier to load a bike on and they get it up high enough for general maintenance or even cleaning wheels.

Just so you know, i used the "search" feature and i got every post about a guy named Jack or anything that began in a "k"

Attachments

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
i've never seen a jack like that used without a lift table before. everyone that i know that has one uses it on the lift. and i would be very nervous to try lifting a bike up high enough to do any kind of maintenance on just the center jack.

you are going to get a ton of opinions, but one thing that you will hear a lot more than anything else is to get either a j&s or a pitbull. are they expensive? you bet. are they worth it? you bet. either one is very easy to load your bike on by yourself.

i had a jack that i got from pep boys on sale (think it was a torin brand). that thing made me nervous as hell. i used it for a couple of years, but not as often as i would have liked. sometimes i would just do the job without it because it made me that nervous. even strapped down. gave it away, and got a j&s. i'm not nervous about it anymore and use it quite often.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i've never seen a jack like that used without a lift table before. everyone that i know that has one uses it on the lift. and i would be very nervous to try lifting a bike up high enough to do any kind of maintenance on just the center jack.

you are going to get a ton of opinions, but one thing that you will hear a lot more than anything else is to get either a j&s or a pitbull. are they expensive? you bet. are they worth it? you bet. either one is very easy to load your bike on by yourself.

i had a jack that i got from pep boys on sale (think it was a torin brand). that thing made me nervous as hell. i used it for a couple of years, but not as often as i would have liked. sometimes i would just do the job without it because it made me that nervous. even strapped down. gave it away, and got a j&s. i'm not nervous about it anymore and use it quite often.
I've seen a lot of guys around here use it on the ground for changing tires and stuff that doesn't require the bike to be at eye level... also heard of guys using it to make the bike more stable while trailering... snug the jack under the frame to keep the bike from bouncing around. My main use would be for polishing wheels and general cleaning/maintenance. what would be the difference in using it on the ground vs. on a lift? asking because I'm not experienced enough to know the difference...

·
Registered
605 Posts
Got a Torin Big Red, use it all the time, I have to put it more to the back of the bike but goes on and off easy never any problems.

Jay

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
My main use would be for polishing wheels and general cleaning/maintenance. what would be the difference in using it on the ground vs. on a lift? asking because I'm not experienced enough to know the difference...
on the lift table the bike is secured with a wheel chock in the front, and/or tie downs. for taking the back tire off, it holds the bike level, while the rear section of the table is dropped for easy access to the tire/wheel.

i like the idea of using it on the trailer under the frame to reduce 'bounce', i've used a block of wood for that. but i don't trailer much, so that would be too much of an expense for me for that purpose. for doing back tires, i don't think it would go high enough, or if it did, i would be very nervous. and you've got nowhere to tie your bike down.

my j&s works great for doing wheels. and the side benefit is that you can jack it up high enough so that you can sit on a rolling stool and be comfortable while you're cleaning them wheels. but then again, i'm not as young as i once was. sitting on the floor may not be an issue for you. i just prefer not to. also, if all you are doing is cleaning wheels, the j&s/pitbull may be more of an expense than you want to pay. but i guarantee you, if you get one, you'll find a lot more uses for it.

·
Administrator
10,474 Posts
Got a Torin Big Red, use it all the time, I have to put it more to the back of the bike but goes on and off easy never any problems.

Jay
same Jack here , oh wait I'm Jack

no probs with mine either

JtB

·
Registered
7,245 Posts
Like previously stated id be nervous about using the center lift jack without securing the front or having it in a wheel chock. I have a red sears craftsman jack that ive used for years without any concerns. I can jack it up, lock it in place and leave it that way for days. As far as loading it and because my bike is lowered sightly i put the bike on its side stand position myself and the jack on the right side and pull the bike upright and slide it under. Ill pump it by hand while holding the bike steady until its firmly positioned on the jack then pump away. Its easy peasy

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
I don't remember which brand I've got but I also put it on the right side grab the handle bar and stand the bike up and slide the jack under it. I've used it on 2 metrics and now the harley. Hope to get a table this summer.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Check out J&S jack. Look em up on youtube and check out the video!

Reactions: Signedbybd

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Pitbull here and love it. Got it used on Craigslist at a good price. Look around.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I have a Craftsmen one I use (had it since 2002) and use it on all my bikes. I jack it up, let it down on the locks and push my bike in the corner. It works great and was inexpensive.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Tnsl ....I have a table style jack like the pic in your first post....I picked it up from drag specialties. ...I like and its solid I used to run a strap on my bike i no longer bother and when I get a table it then has a double use..

·
Registered
605 Posts
I've seen that video before, very impressive. The last time I checked I don't use my jack for Harley ballet, I lift it, clean it and drop it. I picked up my Torin Big Red for $40, last owner used it twice, then sold his bike. Works great and is rock solid. Would I liked to have a J&S , you bet, do I need to spend that kind of money for what I use it for, no.

Jay

·
Registered
348 Posts
As others have stated the J&S jack is rock solid. I too started with a less expensive unit and was very nervous with it to the point that I took it back and ordered the J&S. The kind of money we have invested in our bikes makes the higher cost a reasonable trade-off for the peace of mind. And I tried the test of sitting on the bike while on the jack. For real, not a stunt!

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
I have an aluminum Sears motorcycle jack and I am very happy with it, although the lowering process makes me nervous due to how quick the jack can drop if one is not careful. However, after looking at the J&S jack video, it looks like there's a new sheriff in town. That jack is unbelievable and it looks like this forum has once again cost me money. Thanks, guys.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I have the pitbull jack and it works great no issues at all use it all the time to clean the bike. It's real easy to load the bike up by yourself with no issues at all. Bike is steady even without strapping it down

·
Registered
10 Posts
+1 for the J&S. I went right down to the factory and picked mine up. SUPER nice people to deal with. Best motorcycle-specific tool I've purchased. I actually use it way more than I thought I would. Cleaning, wrenching, moving the bike around the garage, and even storage everything is so much easier with the J&S Lift!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts