Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Afternoon!
After reading other posts I still have questions regarding how to install these speakers and amp on my 2012 RGU.

1. Will the GTO638's fit in my rear speaker pods?
  2. Are adapter rings required for the fairing or pod speaker installs?...I do not believe so, but some one did mention using them in a post I read.
  3. Will sound damping improve the sound in either the pods or fairing?
  4. If sound damping improves either location, what product did you utilize?...pictures?
  5. According to what I have read, the amp can be installed under the head unit, velcroed above or zip tied below the head unit...any other ideas? How did you install?...pictures?
  6. I am also installing a 665 Zumo. I think I understand the best place to mount the XM radio puck is on top the head unit. Any advice considering the amp install?...lessons learned when you installed?
  7. Could I run both the garmin and the amp off the head light pigtail?...I could make a splitter. Maybe better to tap the ACC / Lighter power in the fairing.
Thanks for any advice / pictures. I'm installing the GPS (Iron Aces Mount), Amp, Speakers and XCycle Fairing Trim the week after Christmas. Can't wait till Spring!

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
I have a 2015 RGS and didn't need adapters to install the JBL's.
Removed the covers, removed the stock speaks, plugged in the new JBL's and was good to go. I still haven't installed a amp because I waiting until I purchase a removeable King Touring Pack. Once I pull the trigger this coming spring I will purchase another pair of the JBL's and install them in the speaker pods for the touring pack. The removal of the stock speakers to the 6.5" JBL's is a 15 minute job from start to finish. I can hear my music going 70+ also using a 14" Klock Werks Sports Flair windshield without any issues.
Swomack

·
Registered
508 Posts
I just installed this amp tonight on my 2011RGU. I used Velcro from Lowes to put it on the right side between the pocket and inner fairing. I put it as high as it would go. I didn't take any pictures because I was too lazy to go get the camera. I ran a fused wire and ground from the battery, and with this amp I did not need a remote wire. I used the high level inputs from the stock radio.

·
Registered
336 Posts
You should be able to run those speakers in the rear pods with no issue. I have 6.5 in speakers in mine with no issue. You will need adapter rings for the front fairing, however. As for the amp, unless your removing and swapping out the stock head unit, I don't think you'll be able to install it up there. You'll probably need to either go with the heavy duty Velcro and mount it to the sides, or buy a bracket. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask. I have a 13 RGU

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
You will need adapters for the front fairing and most likely in the tourpak pods if they are stock HD pods. The only speaker locations set up to receive 6.5 speakers on 2012s are the lowers. You may be able to get some speakers in to the rears, but not as a rule. Virginian above says his 6.5s fit without an adapter. You may want to ask him which ones he's using. I have focals and hertz and neither of them fit into the rear tp pods. Alpine SPRs have good sound and a significantly smaller magnet than some of the top tier speakers, so that's a suggestion.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the feedback...looks like I am going to need adapters after all. :crying:
I appreciate the heads up! Merry Christmas!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just ordered 4 Arc Audio 6.5" adapters. They weren't cheap but the reviews were strong so pulled the trigger. I'll post feedback after I install!

·
Registered
508 Posts
I paid almost 50 bucks for a set here at a local shop. I thought it was way too high, but I wanted them right then, instead of ordering them online. Paid for convenience.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
I just ordered 4 Arc Audio 6.5" adapters. They weren't cheap but the reviews were strong so pulled the trigger. I'll post feedback after I install!

The fairing adapters are not the same as the tourpak adapters. The fairing adapters mount to the front of the speakers and allow you to screw the 6.5 speaker in place where the 5 1/4 holes are. The tourpak adapters mount to the tourpak pods and provide offset between the speaker pods and the speaker to account for the larger speaker size and magnet.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
09Sharknose...do you happen to know the brand of adapter I will need for the rear pods? I have been searching, no luck yet. If I find a brand I will post back.
Thanks for letting me know Man! Sheesh, getting closer but still a long way to go!

·
Registered
2,098 Posts

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
Once again just to be clear, You Don't Need Adapters for the front fairing if you have a 2015+ Roadglide. The JBL's fit right in without any issues.
Swomack

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Afternoon!
I just bought this 2012 RGU in Sept so its very new to me.
This morning I pulled the fairing and installed a set of GTO 638's. I used Arc speaker adapters. I had to modify these adapters...it wasn't difficult. Here is a great video detailing the modification.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeYwGeAIiN8 <- modification discussion starts at minute 2:00.
If you use these Arc adapters you will not need the adapters included with the speakers. I went up the road. I hope this note saves you the trouble.
Here's a pic of the left front after install.

Attachments

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
By the way, the manual said positive was left and negative was right. My speakers were set up opposite of that configuration. It is obvious when you trace the wires. Just FYI!
I'll continue to share my experience installing these upgrades. Thanks for help!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I finally finished my installs!
I was concerned about only using Velcro to hang the Sound Stream amp so I "Jerry Rigged" a mount.
I bought a HogTunes Road Glide amp mount used on Amazon for $20. The HogTunes amp mount is mounted on two triple tree studs. It follows the front contour of the inner fairing.
Drilling a couple of holes, I mounted two "L" brackets from Home Depot (Everbilt 2-1/2 in. Zinc-Plated Double-Wide Corner Brace (2-Pack)-15052 - The Home Depot) to the HogTunes amp mount. I had to bend them back to follow the angle of approach of the right side inner fairing to the front inner fairing.
Bolted the amp to the "L" brackets and Velcro-ed the backend.
This was an inexpensive and stable approach that could easily be copied by others.

Attachments

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I installed the GTO638 in the rear pods. I used speaker adapters from VTwin Audio. They are about an inch thick. The adapter plus the grill that comes with it may end up having an impact on passenger comfort. The combo reduced space on both sides of the passenger by an inch and a half.
The grills supplied with the adapters are are not deep enough to entirely cover the speaker. The cover is kind of wobbling on top of the mid-range tweeter.
I may end up going with a different speaker in the pods. Anyone know of a speaker that doesn't require a spacer and can stand up to the Sound Stream amp? And of course, I would be interested in it competing well with the GTO638's in the front fairing.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts