1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Yep, adapter rings.:D

·
Registered
149 Posts
I just put them on my 2012 RGU this afternoon. I bought a set on Amazon for $63.99. I bought the JL Audio adaptors locally so I could have them immediately. The adaptors on Amazon were not available on Prime and it would have taken several days to get them, the speakers were on Prime so I got them the second day. Ironically the adaptors were $49.99 locally, so almost as much as the speakers for a couple of plastic rings??? The rings do offset the speakers to fit in the RG fairing. JL makes specific ones to fit the RG.

They sound great although I have not reinstalled the outer fairing yet as I want to put some fiberfill around the speakers. That will come tomorrow.

I am thinking that I may do the rear/tour pak speakers with the JBL's too. But the adaptors for these pods are $89.99, so more than the speakers. Kind of crazy.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so I ordered the jl audio adaptors from crutchfield50.00 and free shipping and I will have them Friday. speakers are due in tomorrow. I need the bike Friday for sure and fishing for drum Saturday, so looks like early sunday morning install job before we head out somewhere.
the hawg adaptors are 40.00 but 14.00 shipping per the website.
I may do the tour pak speakers down the road. guess I will hit the search button in here for info on those:D

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well here I sit. got home at 4.00 and took the front of the fairing off. took off the original speakers. opened the new speakers. waiting for ups to drop off the adaptors:(
out for delivery shows on the ups web site.......tick tock tick tock.....

·
Super Moderator
12,334 Posts
well here I sit. got home at 4.00 and took the front of the fairing off. took off the original speakers. opened the new speakers. waiting for ups to drop off the adaptors:(
out for delivery shows on the ups web site.......tick tock tick tock.....
It always takes longer when you're waiting, get involved with something else, and they'll show up in no time.

·
Registered
411 Posts
If I were to use these as rear speakers on my RGU how do you think they would hold up to the elements over time??

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well I finally got in my truck and found the ups driver.
installed the speakers and also added sound deadening paper.
took out for a short ride then rode to work and back yesterday which is only 5 miles each way. if there is a better sound difference its not easy to tell.
maybe a little more hearing different tones as they are 3 way speakers compared to the stock ones but I am disappointed.
today heading out on a 5 hour ride to the upper deleware water gap.
maybe on a longer ride I will be more happy, but I doubt it. I was not looking for louder, I was looking for better sound.
I guess when I get the funds for the radio upgrade, I will be happier.
next project is paint but that's down the road. just getting tired of seeing every little swirl or scratch in the black paint. thinking of a blue metal flake with silver flames or design but we can all dream right?;)

·
Registered
86 Posts
You may be happier if you amp those speakers. Most cases you have to use an amp to get better sound than stock, even the higher end speakers like Focal, Hertz and HATs need more power especially going down the road.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts