Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When advancing the throttle grip, it moves in a jerky manner. Its not a smooth advance. Anyone know of the source of this problem? The grip has proper end play. Thanks.

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
The bike is under warranty, a trip to the dealer may be in your future. :wink:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It was there once for this problem but adjusting the end play didn't do it. I'm trying to see if there is a fix so I can steer the technician in the correct direction to get it fixed.

·
Registered
898 Posts
I believe the notchy feeling is coming from your TBW, throttle by wire. I saw a video on this here recently. You might check it out on U-Tube.

Reactions: Hematite

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No, it still has the excessively sticky rubber stock grips. I did hear that it might be the rheostat on the handlebar that could be the source. I'll have to look for the video.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Just a thought. Is it smooth when not running & jerky when running? I went from carb to tbw took me a while to get adjusted to the response. Not saying that's the problem.

·
Registered
280 Posts
If it a definite notchy click, click, click and you kinda feel it at the end of the grip... It is the TBW assembly

p/n:32700050

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hmm, the grip seems very loose where it enters the housing so it may very well be the TBW. It's regrettable if the nature of the TBW is not smooth. Disappointing.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Hmm, the grip seems very loose where it enters the housing so it may very well be the TBW. It's regrettable if the nature of the TBW is not smooth. Disappointing.
Can you feel it when you twist the throttle?

Does it do it when the engine is off?

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
There are gears on the end of the Twist Grip Sensor (TGS) if the grip is too far out it will slip on the gears and you could experience the problems you described. If the grip is in too far it can also result in in the grip rubbing on the end of the handlebar. I seems like a minor adjustment could solve the problem.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The grip end play is correct. I'm afraid that gorillaman is correct. It is the TBW unit. There is no place that the grip is even remotely binding. The TBW unit operation is simply NOT smooth. It goes in on Friday for warranty work, so I'll see if they can do anything about it. Lemme guess, just like the hot neutral transmission rattle, it's within spec.

·
Registered
211 Posts
The grip end play is correct. I'm afraid that gorillaman is correct. It is the TBW unit. There is no place that the grip is even remotely binding. The TBW unit operation is simply NOT smooth. It goes in on Friday for warranty work, so I'll see if they can do anything about it. Lemme guess, just like the hot neutral transmission rattle, it's within spec.
If the twist grip senor needs to be replaced and you plan on changing your bars see if they will replace it the SE version.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If the twist grip senor needs to be replaced and you plan on changing your bars see if they will replace it the SE version.
I didn't know that there is another version of the TGS unit. I will say that I got PO'ed and, while the engine was off, twisted the grip a bit savagely a number of times and let it snap back to idle and it is smoother, now. In 2 weeks the dealer is going to look at it, I missed the previous appointment that I made.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I didn't know that there is another version of the TGS unit. I will say that I got PO'ed and, while the engine was off, twisted the grip a bit savagely a number of times and let it snap back to idle and it is smoother, now. In 2 weeks the dealer is going to look at it, I missed the previous appointment that I made.
Been there... done that... ! :grin:

Maybe either just some dirt got in there or it is pinched up into the handlebar mount cluster.

Mine was tight into the cluster and it would not release. It was like having cruise control all the time. I just backed the whole cluster off a mm and it rotated like new.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I remember seeing posts that there is a slow response setting and a fast response setting for the TBW. I thought it was on here but not positive.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
The only way to change the throttle progressivity is through the ECM - which requires an aftermarket tuner (the ones with that particular feature).

The jerky advance described by the OP is indeed the TBW module (based on other facts he has stated along the way). The OP's bike isn't the only one plagued by this, as I know mine and a buddy's 2015 RGs have a hitch / jerk in almost the exact same throttle positions. It existed before we changed bars and existed afterwards. He is using the stock grips and I'm using Avons.

Neither of ours is really severe, so we are just living with it for now.

I second the recommendation to replace with the SE version though if you end up in there any way.

·
Registered
210 Posts
The only way to change the throttle progressivity is through the ECM - which requires an aftermarket tuner (the ones with that particular feature).

The jerky advance described by the OP is indeed the TBW module (based on other facts he has stated along the way). The OP's bike isn't the only one plagued by this, as I know mine and a buddy's 2015 RGs have a hitch / jerk in almost the exact same throttle positions. It existed before we changed bars and existed afterwards. He is using the stock grips and I'm using Avons.

Neither of ours is really severe, so we are just living with it for now.

I second the recommendation to replace with the SE version though if you end up in there any way.
I thought I had saw a post that the FP3 cured the issue. So what is the difference with the SE version?

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
The SE version moves the dreaded green plug from inside the bars and moves it down to the upper clamp / instrument cluster. Where it should have been all along. I mean who designs a quick disconnect plug and puts the sucker right inside the handlebars.................

The SE version also increases the overall length of the TBW wires which can be a blessing depending on how tall your bars are going to be.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts