Road Glide banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Administrator
12,480 Posts
I haven't, but I have a friend who went from S&S to JIMs, he's constantly complaining and has had a few problems, says he wish he would've stuck with S&S. Of coarse that's only one example.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
WE would HIGHLY suggest a well-prepped S&S 124"er, over that 135.
The reasoning for this, is best left unsaid.

Scott
Sorry to disagree here. I have heard plenty of pros and cons about both the S&S 124 and Jims 131s...not too much about the 135. Since you say that you HIGHLY suggest the 124 (emphasis yours), I feel that your experienced insight into these engines, even if highly opinionated, would shed some light here. As for me, I can afford neither at this point, but would love to own either. Perhaps I will one day, and I would really like to hear about an educated "why".

·
Registered
367 Posts
Hey, peoples should just start buying one of our sponsors 107 kit its doing 129/134 haha lol sounds like S&S 124 and se 120r numbers.

·
Registered
664 Posts
they dyno'ed a 135 crate from Jim's here in Frederick colorado. 118hp/124tq with 58mm throttle body, d&d boarzilla. the owner wasn't real happy with the numbers.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Sorry to disagree here. I have heard plenty of pros and cons about both the S&S 124 and Jims 131s...not too much about the 135. Since you say that you HIGHLY suggest the 124 (emphasis yours), I feel that your experienced insight into these engines, even if highly opinionated, would shed some light here. As for me, I can afford neither at this point, but would love to own either. Perhaps I will one day, and I would really like to hear about an educated "why".

I haven't "heard it", I've lived it for almost 30 years and qualifys/quantifies my opinon, which is based on fact.
Trust me when I say that the 55 year old company from Wisconsin, is a better choice.........'nuff said.
Scott

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
I have not tuned in this one yet. It is going through break in.
But I will post Numbers when done.
One of our dealers in Min Farebolt HD Mike told me yesterday thay it made 124HP 128Tq. (135)
As you can tell it did not do better than a 120r in peak numbers but the over all was much better on the graph.

Again I will post numbers with this one we have on our dyno. But the customer is going to leave it stock for now and then come back in Fall for us to either turn it into a blower motor or just head work and cams. But I know this guy hill want 200 hp.plus. 190 tq

And to answer another question
We have seen many Jims motors/S&S here we buy alot of bottom ends from them when we do our 120/130's plus.
I have seen issues with both companies and both ccompanies stepped up and took care of the issues. I cant say bad about either company.
But I can say this you will spend more money trying to get more power out of a crate motor than a shop building one from the ground up.

My 2 cents.... on what we see here day in and day out.

they dyno'ed a 135 crate from Jim's here in Frederick colorado. 118hp/124tq with 58mm throttle body, d&d boarzilla. the owner wasn't real happy with the numbers.

·
Registered
280 Posts
[We have seen many Jims motors/S&S here we buy alot of bottom ends from them when we do our 120/130's plus.
I have seen issues with both companies and both ccompanies stepped up and took care of the issues. I cant say bad about either company.
But I can say this you will spend more money trying to get more power out of a crate motor than a shop building one from the ground up.]

I had a 120 EL Bruto and everyone said it wouldnt last but it was a damn good motor. It made plenty of power to. That being said I also think that no matter what, when you go big CI you are going to have growing pains. It is inevitable. Starters dont last, Starter rings need replacing for gear reduction and stength. I know there are alot more qualified people who can speak on it better then me. Just dont think your gonna buy a motor and plug and play. If you intend to ride it like a daily driver as I did, do everything you can do to make everything attached to it as reliable as possible. Clutches and tranny's, chain or belt? Good luck so many other things that will make you or break you if you know what I mean. I think I will put a chargers system on this motor. I hear they are even more reliable and they certainly make more power.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts