Road Glide banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been debating on one of the Jims fans for the bike. Live in Virginia Beach and I have an S&S 120 on it. I'm running an oil cooler with fan assist but would like to keep the engine a little cooler. Does anyone have any reviews of these. Online reviews seem pretty positive.
Thanks

·
Registered
7,021 Posts
From what I have read it is a good piece and doesn't take up any additional real estate like the Wards fans. I am running the Wards Parts Werks fans and I like them and they are less expensive than the Jims.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
I've heard bad things about the warranty on the jims fan, I did a ton of searches and just got my wards fan this past Wednesday. it's a nice piece and even though it's not stupid hot out I'm seeing it drop my temps while riding and at red lights, in pretty happy with it. and it matches my horn cover

Vehicle Auto part Car Rim Technology

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
4,692 Posts
I've heard bad things about the warranty on the jims fan, I did a ton of searches and just got my wards fan this past Wednesday. it's a nice piece and even though it's not stupid hot out I'm seeing it drop my temps while riding and at red lights, in pretty happy with it. and it matches my horn cover

View attachment 193489

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
looks good, I'm thinking of getting same setup. is that the black with stainless screens? did you also get the wards thermostat for oil cooler?

·
Super Moderator
13,530 Posts
I have Wards fans also, I was customer #33 of his original offering. I love them. Just to give you an idea of the customer service, last year at SW4 I managed to dislodge the front fan, I called and asked about repairs, and was told that since I was only a couple months out of warranty he would overnight a new set of fans if I needed him to.......free. I told him it wasn't necessary, when I returned home, a new set of fans was waiting for me. Now how many people will do that?

·
Registered
4,692 Posts
I have Wards fans also, I was customer #33 of his original offering. I love them. Just to give you an idea of the customer service, last year at SW4 I managed to dislodge the front fan, I called and asked about repairs, and was told that since I was only a couple months out of warranty he would overnight a new set of fans if I needed him to.......free. I told him it wasn't necessary, when I returned home, a new set of fans was waiting for me. Now how many people will do that?
it doesn't get better then that. dbell, how are yours hooked up, direct, switch or thermostat?

·
Super Moderator
13,530 Posts
I'm using the thermostat and switch, they don't come on until the cylinders get warm, but I can always turn them off if I don't want them to cycle off and on when the bike is stopped.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
thanks y2kflhr, did you use the thermostat for the fans? I see people hook up switches & some just have them running all the time. Just curious how you hooked up yours
I used the thermostat, its a pretty simple install, if you look on his website he has instructions. The thermostat kicks on around 220 degrees and off at 160, the fans sound like a jet engine! Last week when I parked the bike and went into work somebody asked if I left my bike running :-}, you can't hear the fans while the bike is running and I always have my radio on anyway.

I am dying to see how they do in the heat and traffic, I should get them a real test when we do the PA M&G because we are leaving LI in rush hour friday.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I've got the wards fans with the thermostat and just leave the switch in the on position.

They do seem to work quite well, this summer should put them to the test.

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
I question the real benefit of a fan that blows directly on the side of the cylinder head where the temperature sending unit is. It's like mounting your house thermostat right above the floor register.
The temperature reading will show it's cooler, but is it really??

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
I question the real benefit of a fan that blows directly on the side of the cylinder head where the temperature sending unit is. It's like mounting your house thermostat right above the floor register.
The temperature reading will show it's cooler, but is it really??
the explanation from Jason is that the sending unit is buried pretty deep into the head so the fan isn't blowing on the sensor. I've only had mine on for a few rides so far but I can see the temp drop and raise with the unit manually turned on and off at 75 mph so I have to believe it is really doing something. I will be a true believer once I get stuck in traffic and my bike doesn't need to be shut down for 20 minutes to refire.

·
Registered
830 Posts
If you buy any type of parade fan, just remember one thing.

All fans do only one thing, they move heat. The heat doesn't magically go away, it is moved. Guess where the heat is moved to? If you answered the inside of your right thigh you win a prize!

A good fan will cool down your cylinders when stopped or moving very slowly. (I have proved this to my satisfaction using my ThunderMax.) Just be ready to have your thigh baked.

You can tell which bike is mine when I am trapped in a traffic jam in 90 plus degree weather. I am the one whose bike is happily idling while while the rider is trying to hold his right leg up and out of the jet exhaust coming from between the cylinders!

·
Registered
250 Posts
I put the Wards on my 15 FLTRUSE. It works great. When the fans are on and at idle, my radiator fans almost never come on. Had to turn off the wards fan to make sure the radiator fans were working. And his customer service is top notch.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.