Road Glide banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just seen an ad for Jims lifters that supposedly have no needle bearings in the roller,instead a bronze bushing,i know that amco bronze is a very high wear bronze and that the newer bikes now have bronze bushings in the cam plate instead a roller bearings,getting ready to do a cam and lifter change,any thoughts on these lifters?

·
Registered
6,588 Posts
I don't have any experience with S&S lifters but I used HD SE lifters HD part#18572-13 and the SE lifters were made by JIMS.
The SE lifters were bleeding off after 6000 miles and would knock on start up so I put the OEM stock lifters back in the bike.
My stock lifters are the "B" lifters and they been the bike since the bike was new except for the time (about 6 months) I had the SE lifters in the bike. You can't get the "B" lifters anymore since HD revised these lifters and they are now in the "C" version of these lifters.
I think that it was in the EVO engines you could just use lifters that were from a 350 Chevrolet engine but I don't know if anyone tried using Chevy lifters in the TC engine.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So i take it no one has seen these new lifters,keep in mind that they are supposed to have no needle bearings and have a life guarantee,i was planning on using the S&S premium lifters with my cam change,but i'm always interested in a better product.

·
Registered
5,313 Posts
So i take it no one has seen these new lifters,keep in mind that they are supposed to have no needle bearings and have a life guarantee,i was planning on using the S&S premium lifters with my cam change,but i'm always interested in a better product.
This sounds interesting. Do you know if the guarantee covers just the lifters or does it cover other damn done if one of the lifters would fail?

Would be nice to have a lifter that you don't have to worry about but IIRC, I've read that S&S suggest to change any lifter every so many miles which I don't understand as all of my avalanches have over 145,000 miles on them and never a lifter problem. Now I know my truck's lifters don't see the abuse that a bike's lifters do but that's a lot of miles regardless of how they're driven.

I'm pretty sure there's a thread on the CVO site about Jim's lifters and it wasn't good news but I can't remember a lot about it other than that. Might be the fact the 110 engine has those overbearing valve springs also.

Do some more checking around on other sites for more feedback.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I looked on Jims USA web site couldn't find them but my buddy had a magazine add he showed me dont know where he got the add,will keep digging.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think they are about $ 400 for a set,i will more than likely stick with S&S

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
This sounds interesting. Do you know if the guarantee covers just the lifters or does it cover other damn done if one of the lifters would fail?

Would be nice to have a lifter that you don't have to worry about but IIRC, I've read that S&S suggest to change any lifter every so many miles which I don't understand as all of my avalanches have over 145,000 miles on them and never a lifter problem. Now I know my truck's lifters don't see the abuse that a bike's lifters do but that's a lot of miles regardless of how they're driven.

I'm pretty sure there's a thread on the CVO site about Jim's lifters and it wasn't good news but I can't remember a lot about it other than that. Might be the fact the 110 engine has those overbearing valve springs also.

Do some more checking around on other sites for more feedback.
The S&S premium lifters have a larger roller axle than most which is a bonus, but everything has it's limits. The ongoing search for more power has encouraged the cam manufacturers to push lobe profiles to their limits and the lifter suffers extreme loads due to those designs. Pushrod style automotive engines suffer the same lifter problems when racing cams with similar profiles are used.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts