Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone using the JL Audio 400/4? I want to mount it in my fairing. I was able to get it into the radio bracket on top of my Sony deck but couldn't get the fairing back on. Has anyone been able to achieve this or used sone type of mounting plate?

Attachments

·
Registered
578 Posts
i had to cut the glovebox and put it between there. such a great amp. i wish it would fit up top the deck, but im convinced its impossible.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've seen pictures of some shops getting the amp pushed pretty far back in the bracket like the one attached.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,287 Posts
I've been looking for a way to mount one in the fairing for over a year... I guess its not meant to be? LoL

SD, can you post a pic of your amp installed, I would like to see how you installed it?

·
Registered
578 Posts
let me see if i can find one. i put it between the glove box and the fairing. had to cut the glovebox...BUT i have access to all the settings to the amp by simply opening up my glovebox door.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I have mine mounted on top of my sony deck but mounted it sideways and cut part of the bracket holding the radio. Dont have any pics but Ill take some next time i have my fairing off

·
Registered
578 Posts
dude...im thinking of just selling this... buying the jl xd600 6 and installing it in the saddlebag, and calling it a day. thing is still a small amp.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
dude...im thinking of just selling this... buying the jl xd600 6 and installing it in the saddlebag, and calling it a day. thing is still a small amp.
That's my plan if I ever go to 2 sets of 6.5s or four 6x9s but the 400/4 is fine the one pair of 6.5s and pair of 6x9s

·
Registered
65 Posts
I had to take amp apart and grind Dow. The sides and mount it on the left side in between the glove box and inner parr of the fairing. Its a bitch to get it in there but I was to pissed to change my mind on not installing it in the fairing. Mind you I had the xd 200.2.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Shark of the Month August 13
3,318 Posts
The 600/6 is the way to go if you're installing it in the bag.. But the 400/4 can hold its own.. a lot of people be sleeping on JL Audio amps. JMO..

Been looking at the JL 400/4 and think that's the wayI'ill probably go. Unless I can find a decent sized 600/4....only going to be running 4 speakers :eek: but could surely use the extra 200watts

·
Registered
7,287 Posts
If your only running 4 speakers the 4/400 will be fine.. It puts out 100 RMS watt per channel for 2 ohms speakers & 75 RMS watts for 4 ohm speakers.. Plus it should fit in a street glide type of fairing.. Also you can buy the gain remote knob & control your gain from a different location.

·
3,318 Posts
If your only running 4 speakers the 4/400 will be fine.. It puts out 100 RMS watt per channel for 2 ohms speakers & 75 RMS watts for 4 ohm speakers.. Plus it should fit in a street glide type of fairing.. Also you can buy the gain remote knob & control your gain from a different location.

Yeah the 400/4 will fit with just a little trimming on the back of the inner, that's not a problem. I would just like to run a 600/4 if I can find one that will suite my needs/wants LOL

I know it's 100/75 rms and I would be "okay" with that, but sure could use the added wattage from a 600 with the speakers I'm running :D

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah the 400/4 will fit with just a little trimming on the back of the inner, that's not a problem. I would just like to run a 600/4 if I can find one that will suite my needs/wants LOL

I know it's 100/75 rms and I would be "okay" with that, but sure could use the added wattage from a 600 with the speakers I'm running :D
JL makes a 600/4 amp. You can find them on eBay for about $400

·
3,318 Posts
JL makes a 600/4 amp. You can find them on eBay for about $400
LMAO I know, ITOLDU and I were looking the other day and were only finding the JL HD 600/4 which is priced substantially higher :(

Next time your fumbling around and find one, post/PM a link and I would be much appreciative :)

·
Registered
286 Posts
here is the problem if you can't get the unit back in there far enough....

I am confident this space was the reason I fried my Sony head when I got caught in a huge rainstorm. The installer made some modifications and decreased the gap when they replaced the head unit - also using a CVO windshield gasket vs no gasket when I was caught in the rain.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 78 Posts