Road Glide banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am taking out my JM 7.25 3 was speakers and Elf Audio amp and am replacing them with a new setup with the JL C5 6.5 components and the Xd4004 amp. I chose the 4 channel amp just incase the fronts are not enough and I want to add a st of 6x9s in the baglids. I will post some picts as soon as I start but as of right now I just ordered the amp and speakers.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Can I ask why you taking out your JM 7.25 and amp? I thought the JM`s were supposed to be the S__T? Everyone brags about how good they are.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
ooooh, are you gonna be in trouble. anytime anyone talks bad about the jm 7.25s, you'd think the end of the world was gonna happen. :D

pics, wanna see pics....

·
Registered
400 Posts
the more I read about stereo systems for the Road Glide the more I see that people are taking out the Jm 7.25 and amp and going a different setup. I wonder why?

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
not having heard them myself, what i have been told when i asked a couple of people who didn't like them, they said that they were too big to be so close together so they did not have good stereo separation. just sounded like one big speaker.

·
Registered
855 Posts
You know, I don't know why, but I'm anti- J&M. I don't own a pair, but I have heard many J&M applications in person. They sound good, they just don't impress me. Its hard to use automotive equipment in an outdoor setting and achieve the results you want. The acoustics aren't there. I know there are systems on bikes here in the bay area that blow others away, but that's what $$$ will get you.

I guess MY problem is all the limited options for Road Glides. It seems we are all putting in the same stuff. I like to see when people venture out and do something different. Granted, there is nothing "custom" about my Road Glide Custom, but I have to give props when someone goes against the grain.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I liked the jms but I am not afraid to try other things I work for an indy shop so we like to try different setups if anyone would like to buy a set of 7.25s and an amp let me know

·
Registered
761 Posts
I was hoping to hear the JMs at the International Bike Show in Greenville, SC last weekend but all they had was a kiosk setup w/ brochures. There wasn't a factory rep present. The tunes are down the road for me yet so I'll be interested to see what you think of the JL stuff...always been a fan of JL.

·
Registered
17 Posts
you will notice a diffrence trust me. i have a xd600/6 and xd200/2 running 4 6x9 and 4 6.5. gotta a buddy that had jm`s on his bike. he would ask me to turn mine down so he could hear his (this was with just 2 6.5)

·
Registered
203 Posts
TJS, I would be interested in the amp and speakers, shoot me a private and give me a price with shipping please.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Road Glide Audio

Got rid of my 7.25" J&M's as well... I didn't like how no one, owner included could ever give me the true specs of the speakers... I wanted to know frequency range, sensitivity level, rms and max wattage, etc... and it was never a clear answer... Any good speaker manufacturer has these specs readily available. Don't get me wrong, it did sound better than stock with the ELF amp. I can't believe i spent that much for a pair of speakers... use your money and go with some Hertz, Boston Acoustic, Infinity 6.5" speakers. These guys know what they are doing...

This is from J&M's website, this doesn't tell you anything..
"Spec’d at 2 ohms impedance and 140+ watts max power"

Why would you pay $400.00 dollars for a J&M amp when you can buy a JL audio mini amp for less? IMO it is not worth a twisted bracket to help you mount it in the fairing... Better yet you can buy an ELF for half the price of the J&M... Specs look to be very very close...hmmm

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
just ordered 4 polk audio db651s 6.5 coax marine speakers, 4 ohm...

leaning towards the hawg wired amp, as pricey as it is... simple install, small, made in USA, would think the RMS might be more accurate.

will try and 'squeeze' the second set of speakers in the fairing somehow and run them all 4 at 2ohm with the stock head unit until I can decide on an amp.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I know this thread has been sitting quiet for awhile but I'm interested in finding out what you think about the Polk DB651s. TJS529???? h-donut????

I'm looking at doing a speaker upgrade and really want to do it right the first time without breaking the bank.

Thanks!

·
Registered
58 Posts
db651s

I know this thread has been sitting quiet for awhile but I'm interested in finding out what you think about the Polk DB651s. TJS529???? h-donut????

I'm looking at doing a speaker upgrade and really want to do it right the first time without breaking the bank.

Thanks!
I have had them and they are OK, i took mine out and installed the HERTZ HCX690 6x9's. the Hertz are much better but also with a much more price tag. If you want to stay within the $100 / pair range you should go with the Pioneer TS-D6902R or the TS-A6994R speakers. I have tried these and they are much better than the polk db691s. If you can spend a little more go with the CDT HD 690CFX. Great upperline speaker with a good price.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Jl audio

I installed the JL AUDIO XD200/2 amplifier to push (4) 6 x 9 pioneers in a buddys bags. Amp is small and gives the speakers some good bump. Sounds great. You will not be disappointed with JL...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts