Road Glide banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Banned
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Finally installed... Obvious differences are as seen in the photos all comparisons are with the original steal body vs the new aluminum body JRI shocks. A smaller diameter main shaft with a much larger bottoming cushion, different mount bushings, dampening adjusters, preload collar and aluminum body instead of steal. They were supplied with .050" spacers to allow torsional movement, I found this spacer to not be adequate and had to purchase 10mm washers and drill them out to 1/2" to allow the proper spacing the 10mm washers I found had the same O.D. as the bushing, the luggage rack front C mount inhibits movement in my case. I removed the factory lock washer from the mounting bolt to ensure proper thread depth for the mounting bolts and replaced it with blue lock-tite. I would like to note this torsional movement spoken about in the directions is undetectable, trying to wiggle the shock back and forth once mounted, when and if this occurs I would like to see it... Also on my bike the mounting bosses were properly alighned and checked as per instructions. There are 90 adjustment clicks and after setting preload and a quick road test (30 out from max was preset) I found that the shocks were bottoming out on normal bumps and dips I quickly gave 4 more clicks of compression dampening and road the same road they did not bottom this time. I really would not have noticed this had I not left the zip tie on the shaft from setting the spring preload. Due to rain here in Ohio I will not get a chance to do an extensive road test for a day or two. Initial impression is ok at this point but can not say much more than that till I have had a chance to ride more I'll post a few more photos and update after a much more extensive road test.

Attachments

·
Banned
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Comparison note the shaft is not chrome I was told and I quote "I think the shaft is graphite base (the mix in the metal)" So it is uncertain of the compassion of the shaft. to me it look like it would rust however I would not assume that would actually happen it is unusual as so far as I am concerned. Supposedly this was done to prevent stiction.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
I see now how you can't compare new with old settings, my shocks only have 44 clicks on the sweep valve, I think the updates look like an improvement, bigger shaft, better (possibly) bushings, mine didn't come with any spacers or washers so I had to get my own anyway.

looking forward to your long term results.

·
Registered
8,380 Posts
Subcribing......

·
Banned
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Spent the weekend riding these... After getting them dialed in... I'm fairly pleased. The original steel body JRI's for what ever reason were not anywhere near the chore that these were to get them working properly... However after some frustration which is no fault of the shocks... A zip tie and a couple miles of highway back and forth adding compression dampening till they did not bottom got them damn close in a hurry wish I would have thought of that sooner I can not believe these guru's have not figured out what I have to get these things set up without a lot of guess work. I find the need to bolt the original steel body shocks on again and set them with the same method as I did these before I do a full comparison and review...

The new units are pretty nice riding I will say that.. so much so... bumps hit with the front end with new mono tubes installed (that I was previously pretty happy with) are not felt in the rear.... these are bumps/dips I would normally have avoided.... in short it's just odd feeling the bump in the front end and not the rear.. If you follow what I'm saying... The mono tubes will be gone this winter and thats a fact... There weakness's are shining with these new shocks.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
my buddy had the same result with the monotubes once he got his dialed in, we got back from a 4 day trip and they came right out, he wound up putting in ricor intiminators.

·
Super Moderator
12,348 Posts
So, SlowGuy what are you going to replace the monotubes with? I agree with your assessment, but with the stock front end it's not good at all.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Banned
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well as I stated I do not have a stock front end. I am running stock ride height Progressive Mono Tubes with 1 C clip.... I was previously "fairly" happy with them... I know I will be switching them out possibly with the Ohlins units or one of the other options available soon.... I have requested a little more time from JRI to evaluate the performance of the shocks now that I have them dialed in darn close.... I am going to copy and paste the e-mail I sent to them requesting time and further evaluation on how the bike now handles when ridden aggressively. Storms here in Ohio have made testing a longer process than it should be... The method I describe in the e-mail to JRI may help others in there setup I know it helped me... I will post more the results of handling after further testing I was apprehensive to ride the bike aggressively until I had them close... I experienced a few unsettling moments on the highway in a sweeper until I had the dampening set as described below.

Marcus, I wanted to update you with some info and results of the new shocks. I struggled a bit with the set up on these unlike with the originals. I ended up using a zip tie and a couple mile stretch of Ohio highway complete with some dips and bridge expansions bumps.... nothing too terrible just normal Ohio roads. Once the pre load was set I road back and forth the section of road at highway speed increasing compression dampening until the shocks were not bottoming out, normal seat of the pants method did not work at all for me, I spent a lot of time riding around and still when I was on the highway the in inertia at speed would cause them to bottom and actually in my opinion was down right dangerous... A couple times I thought I had them close and in a sweeper at speed the bike would wallow and wiggle way to much again that was rather unsettling. I did not encounter this with the other shocks. Since you have been so good to me I am sharing this info with you and others to help. After I had them set by the means of highway testing they came into there own even at slower speeds and I am certain they are close to as good as they can be... It was difficult to tell if I had to much dampening or if they were bottoming out initially... With that said and fighting with stormy weather I need a little more time with them... I would actually like to, if I could be allowed the time to actually reinstall the original shocks and adjust them using this same method I am not sure how much the seepage of oil from the one has effected there performance but there was a magical moment with them that I have been unable to recapture during break in of those shocks that I would like to retest now that I have learned something more so as a method that works in adjusting shocks for a Harley... my past experience was with mono shock sport bikes the Harley is so much different...

The ride with these new shocks has me questioning my opinion of them, the front end with new Progressive mono tubes installed now feels like crap... I won't upgrade this till winter but now realize I have to, however I was previously pretty happy with it... the question that is presented in my mind due to limited testing at this point is this... Are these shocks that good in the rear that now the front end with cheaper components feels that bad or is this something else? Like I said I did not feel this way with the other shocks... I simply need some time to retest the original steel body shocks and these also on some twisty roads so I can evaluate how the bike is going to handle... For me handling is what it is about and the side effect of a good suspension and handling is a decent ride when just cruising around... As I said I need to evaluate the handling of the motorcycle now if I have issues with the performance aspect of the shocks a comfortable ride means nothing to me.

Let me know your thoughts...

Best Regards, Frank

·
Banned
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just want to give you all a little update prior to the holiday weekend.... The jury is still out on the shocks there is absolutely no doubt that these are high quality great riding shocks that surpass the original JRI component despite the aluminum body. I have spoke extensively with JRI. I have found there H.D. rep Marcus to be extremely accommodating, helpful and knowledgeable... They want this product to be right and they want us the consumer to be satisfied...There is a huge market out there for these components they know it and are going after it... That's good for us.

We have come to an agreement to be allowed some time to work with this product and at no fault of the shocks try and match it better with the existing front end, Basically I need to take a great riding shock and stiffen it up to match cheap component (Mono Tubes) in the front... that actually seems stupid! The more I think about it the more I feel I may just do the front sooner than later... If I can achieve this for this summer non the less I may leave well enough alone till winter... I am fairly confident that with the broad range of adjustability these shock have I will be able to match them with ANY components I use in the front, after vacation I may feel like addressing the front end soon, that will remain to be seen. This is one of those situations where I feel the climb will be worth the view fortunately I am able to this work myself...

I believe and it is my confident opinion that these shock are that good that you will have to do something premium with the front end and if you do so.... the "Glide" in Road Glide will be much more meaningful... Has any one installed or used the Premium Ride Double Cartridge Fork Kit-45500106 it was suggested to me by JRI that it MAYBE a good choice either this or the Ohlins cartridges would likely be what I would go with...

Stock ride height mono tubes with 400 miles on them for sale! LOL~

Attachments

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
what would you say is the big difference between the new and old shock? Were you never able to get the kind of ride with the old ones as you are with the new ones? Were the spring rates the same?

·
Banned
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
what would you say is the big difference between the new and old shock? Were you never able to get the kind of ride with the old ones as you are with the new ones? Were the spring rates the same?
The biggest difference is ride quality cruising around, and as I previously stated I needed to do more testing... Problem is after extensive testing... there is a trade off for the great ride that I did not suspect. In high speed sweepers there is under dampening and wiggle... 2 more clicks and the wiggle is somewhat better, however the ride becomes harsh... 1 click on these shocks I was told is equal to 3 on the old style... JRI is working on this and we shall see... The ride quality was fantastic and I was really surprised that high speed loss of control (dampening) occurred, I real was... I will be changing them out next week yet again... You all have a great 4th of July! Cheers

There will be more to tell later!

·
Registered
809 Posts
The biggest difference is ride quality cruising around, and as I previously stated I needed to do more testing... Problem is after extensive testing... there is a trade off for the great ride that I did not suspect. In high speed sweepers there is under dampening and wiggle... 2 more clicks and the wiggle is somewhat better, however the ride becomes harsh... 1 click on these shocks I was told is equal to 3 on the old style... JRI is working on this and we shall see... The ride quality was fantastic and I was really surprised that high speed loss of control (dampening) occurred, I real was... I will be changing them out next week yet again... You all have a great 4th of July! Cheers

There will be more to tell later!

To me it sounds like you need to slow the rebound alittle more to control the high speed sweepers

·
Banned
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
To me it sounds like you need to slow the rebound alittle more to control the high speed sweepers
Frankie you know I think your exactly 100% correct... Rebound is none adjustable though... the sweep valve I think is mostly compression... After the extensive talking and testing I have had and done with JRI I am pretty sure they are going to have things sorted out very soon... I don't want to blow my own horn but I am pretty sure the combination of Ohio roads and riding style, I do really push the bike a lot harder than most H.D. riders and that is why this issue has surfaced... Took the same sweeper I encountered the problem in today with the original JRI's accelerating at 85... and she felt planted! I did discover that this "test road" has some pavement wave to it, I felt it with the old shocks but it was controlled and not exaggerated as with the others. I am to speak with JRI Monday like I said there on it and real close to getting it right... guys that cruise would love these shock the ride quality as I said is phenomenal. If JRI is selling direct I would further encourage anyone purchasing to go direct...The customer service has been outstanding and intelligent...

·
Banned
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I thought I would do a little follow up on this old thread. Yesterday I FINALLY received my second pair of JRI's aluminum body shocks as you will previously reed I personally experienced problems with the new design initially. After a lot of testing and set up time we came to an impasse and they were returned. I carried on extensive conversations with Marcus at JRI and agreed to work with him to sort out the problems. In short after some initial testing today I have to say I believe JRI has totally nailed it in every aspect. The new shocks now outperform the original steel body units... Although I experienced oil seepage with the steel body shocks I was very pleased with them... I will do a full write up later but I would suggest and recommend these shocks for those of you that are considering upgrading... I would further recommend calling JRI directly and ordering through Marcus, you'll find his contact info on there website... He's been exceptionally knowledgeable and recognized there was a problem and fixed it, what else can you ask for? After newly coming on board at JRI and being dedicated to producing a top quality product for our bikes I will say he's nailed it in short order... If your a performance orientated rider with realistic expectations from 3"-4" of travel on your bike, looking for easy peasy setup I think you'll be satisfied also... My shocks that were not originally ordered direct had the wrong spring rate in our opinion.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.