Road Glide banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

JRI Aluminum Body Adjustable Shocks.

11K views 39 replies 13 participants last post by  SIC_26 
#1 · (Edited)
Finally installed... Obvious differences are as seen in the photos all comparisons are with the original steal body vs the new aluminum body JRI shocks. A smaller diameter main shaft with a much larger bottoming cushion, different mount bushings, dampening adjusters, preload collar and aluminum body instead of steal. They were supplied with .050" spacers to allow torsional movement, I found this spacer to not be adequate and had to purchase 10mm washers and drill them out to 1/2" to allow the proper spacing the 10mm washers I found had the same O.D. as the bushing, the luggage rack front C mount inhibits movement in my case. I removed the factory lock washer from the mounting bolt to ensure proper thread depth for the mounting bolts and replaced it with blue lock-tite. I would like to note this torsional movement spoken about in the directions is undetectable, trying to wiggle the shock back and forth once mounted, when and if this occurs I would like to see it... Also on my bike the mounting bosses were properly alighned and checked as per instructions. There are 90 adjustment clicks and after setting preload and a quick road test (30 out from max was preset) I found that the shocks were bottoming out on normal bumps and dips I quickly gave 4 more clicks of compression dampening and road the same road they did not bottom this time. I really would not have noticed this had I not left the zip tie on the shaft from setting the spring preload. Due to rain here in Ohio I will not get a chance to do an extensive road test for a day or two. Initial impression is ok at this point but can not say much more than that till I have had a chance to ride more I'll post a few more photos and update after a much more extensive road test.

Attachments

See less See more
#33 ·
I feel it's appropriate to refocus this thread since it was rudely redirected. I felt compelled enough to spend sometime to review and state the problems and issues I encountered with one of the most commonly replaced items on our R.G.'s. It's pretty obvious by the nature of what this thread has regretfully turned into some people have issues or may be falsely representing who they are... I have often questioned if small retailers don't come to forums bragging about how great some unheard business is when in reality there blowing there own horn.

Enough of that. I feel individuals making a purchase should use some practical judgement. If you going to choose Ohlins shocks and you really believe that the shocks need to be disassemble by some self proclaimed guru in his shop to be modified and fixed so they work better than new... Well believe it, that's your choice. Fuel Moto sells the same products just FYI. I suppose anything is possible especially coming from a company that manufactures suspensions for the best riders on the planet riding the fastest motorcycles on the planet in Moto G.P. racing (viva~la~Rossi~lets win this weekend). Personally I don't buy it... And you shouldn't either... I was sucked in to this bragging that is all over the forums how great M.M. is, heaven forbid someone actually has the balls to state some facts that giving multiple interactions was disappointed and extremely dissatisfied, sorry I don't need a discount to give a positive review or negative review. If you disagree with me cool... You have that right. But this I will say you are not going to speak directly to Ohlins if you have problems and also use your own practical judgement, if you think your RoadGlide needs the more money than brains suspension to behave well in corners and also give a good ride... DO IT... I would beg to differ with you...A properly set up and well sorted decent quality shock, properly adjusted is more than adequate for anyone riding a RoadGlide dragging there muffler or floor boards... My friends don't tech out on choosing suspension products for your bikes however do research how to setup whatever you do purchase... I don't care what brand and I am personally going to start a new thread explaining the procedure I used... It's so simple a child can do it. I had to figure it out myself and when I spoke to the guru of suspensions Howard and M.M. and told him about it his response was and I quote "See your learning" I asked him if your so freaking smart why did you not share this information with me? He promptly hung up the phone. You see some people inflate there own intelligence by discounting that of others...If your selling this type of product why would you want to ever say to a customer "See your learning". A sign of mental illness is those who want to keep secrets and know things that others don't he's likely got connections at the CIA and FBI also, thats just bull crap. I hope others had great experiences with him it is not my intent to insult nor damage anyones business... But if the truth hurts and sounds like this does... That's not my problem. I was offended multiple times, not helped when I had problems in warranty, and quite frankly left to get my own problem straighten out because his buddies are no longer working at JRI and all the time telling me how terrible those people and the company is... There professional relationship was falling apart and personally I can see why... Enter Marcus and my contact and interaction with JRI... It has been nothing but a joy to deal with the company there dedicated to producing a quality product that works for our bikes that you don't need to spend an arm and leg on and may I also say in short order has done so since Marcus came on board. I am personally glad to have interacted with him, absolutely during the sorting out process I was disappointed initially, Ok some self proclaimed bragging rights here... after I explained to Marcus the procedure I used in setting up the new shocks and explained what they were doing, he responded "Send them back" not "See your learning" he was able to identify there was actually a problem and did not side step the issue, sure I've learned a few things here but they were self discovered and future purchasers of this product will all benefit from this as myself has... JRI is not some under the radar company they also produce products for drag, off road, short track. stock car and motorcycle racing. They don't need someone telling them how to build a shock and they service what they sell not to mention you can if necessary speak to someone in charge of there motorcycle division if necessary. It is going to be interesting to see how the fork units are going to work out...

I'm stepping down off the soap box... and I obviously had my feathers ruffled... TJ... leave me alone and be respectful to others, I am sorry I have to uncover the truth of my experience with M.M. however my intent is to help others and give back to the forum.

#34 ·
I have been reading this ridiculous thread for a while now I have don't post too often here but need to say that I have have had nothing but excellent service from Howard at MM as well. He has always done everything he said he would do for me and gave me what I consider a fair deal. I get that you have a bone to pick with him and it certainly is none of my business but you continue to say that you are done posting in this and just keep on doing it over and over and over...
I have no idea what he did to you or anyone else but I have run the Ohlin's that he set up for me for over 24000 miles and I certainly am not a professional racer or make any statements about how talented I am or not talented anyone else is but I do ride aggressively from reading this and other forums and seeing that I wear out a rear tire about every 5000 miles and I absolutely love my rear shocks.
I'm sure this will fire you up slow-guy and I
Really don't mean to do that but I do want to bring another successful story about Howard to the table. If that pisses you off well.. Sorry but there always is 2 sides to every situation.

#35 ·
Ok, I read a lot of threads, and normally when they start becoming conflicting, I steer away. I'm going to try to be brief if possible, but also add my thoughts. Up to post #23 this was a completely normal thread, suddenly after one forum member asked a simple question there was an unprovoked attack against a person who has not even posted on this thread for no apparent reason. My story in short, I've been dealing with Howard for a couple of years. When I first met Howard (MM) he was at Daytona, he didn't know me from anybody else coming up to his booth and asking questions. I explained to him I may be interested in shocks (at the time I had gone from OEM to Progressive and still wasn't too happy), and he explained a few things to me, fast forward a whole year later, I still have the same shocks and decide I may finally make a change, during this time I've seen Howard at 2 more rallies, talked to him but still have not bought anything. Bike week 2013, I decide to order shocks from Howard, he gives me a choice of JRI or Ohlin, for my own personal reasons I go with JRI, I order the shocks, then find to my surprise Howard is in Florida and lives 20 minutes away from me. Let me try to rush through this, I go to Howards house and he installs the shocks..... no charge and wouldn't let me give him anything, we both get on our bikes and go for a ride, I notice a difference immediately and Howard informs me they should get even better after breaking in. Fast forward one month later, I see Howard in Leesburg, we go over my riding impressions, he makes a couple of clicks to the shocks, and now I'm really happy. Could I have fine tuned the shocks myself yes, I'm sure I could have, but when you have someone who does this for a living willing to help, why not take advantage? Also in all of my trips to Howards booth, there have been several satisfied present and past customers, a lot of folks he spent time with who didn't buy anything, and I didn't notice him being rude to anyone weather they did or didn't buy anything. Now, back to the thread. I'm not a shock expert at all, but I do like to ride, I've only been riding a little over 40 years, so I think I may be past the novice stage. To be a little blunt, and try not to be offensive, I just don't think it's right for somebody to come on this forum and slam people but constantly say they aren't being rude or attacking anybody when there is constant sarcasm and jabs that say otherwise. If the other person were on here and you were going back and forth, that's one thing, or even if it was just stated plane and simple that you're not happy, ok, but to launch a personal attack and keep going and using the defense that he was rude to you........well where's the proof? I also hope this thread will go back to being just about JRI shocks, and I will probably continue to read, but may not post. Marcus, I don't know who you are, and know nothing about you, but I hope you will be successful at JRI and make a great shock even better. Slo guy, I've never met you, and I'm not trying to offend you, but IMO the slamming in this thread was not necessary, also when you try to tell somebody how they can ride because of the handle bars they have, that shows you need to be more observant and look, I personally know a young lady on a Honda who when she had regular bars that she was uncomfortable with, would slow down before any kind of turn, I wish I could would of made a film of how she corners now....she will be needing more floorboards soon, and her bike hasn't been lowered. Comfort in your riding position means a lot, also contrary to popular belief there are some roads with curves in Florida, you just have to know where to go. Administrator....if I'm out of line in any of my comments, please let me know, and I will humbly apologize. TJ316, calm down, it's a public forum, it can be personal at times, but most people here are intelligent enough to know there are 3 sides to every story. Ok, I've had my say, now I will shut up. :)

#37 ·
Gentlemen, I neither intentionally attacked nor had intensional intensions to "slam" anyone, I suggest you all read more carefully how this thread evolved into what it did... I simply state 100% true facts about my experience, if the truth sounds that way then so be it, but I assure you it's the truth. I still have the e-mail when I ask Howard about the wheel size as previously stated, and considering posting it. If you think it is anywhere appropriate to respond as he did with a picture of Bozo the clown after purchasing shocks and asking a simple question to a so called expert "What wheel size would you recommend for best handling on a RGC" then we can agree to disagree. If your experience was better I am very happy for you and glad to hear so, however you did not have the issues I did... I will say during the purchase process things were smooth although very unconventional for any business as far as method of payment goes, your unable to make payment directly through Motorcycle Metals website, you either had to mail a check or add for PayPal to an e-mail address, red flag no1, you have little to no recourse making payment this way if anything goes wrong. Facts are when I encountered my first problem after couple months I was shifted back to the manufacturer bearing the cost of shipping with no help from M.M. When the problem reoccured M.M. spoke very badly about JRI and all the personal there and I was basically told its there problem and M.M. only made 25 dollars on those shocks. Dealing directly with JRI was a pleasure, contradictory to what I was told and expected after hearing what Howard said about them for this reason I felt I compelled to give credit where credit was due. I was even told directly by Howard to threaten JRI that if I did not get my money back that I would slam there product in the forums red flag no2, post in the forum how good I am for a discount is red flag no3 ask yourself, who's the forum flamer? I'm not real big on forums but do come to them for information and enjoy contributing to give back. Despite the sorting out, Marcus actually offered to stop by my home on his way back fro Sturgis to install the replacement units unfortunately that was the weekend I was in Indy for the Moto G.P. races. When everything goes fine and you do not have a problem there should be nothing to complain about, right? The test of any business is when you do have a problem does it get handled properly. If the problems were handled appropriately there would be no reason to have discussed M.M. thats purely logical. This post was originally started to post evaluations... If you read carefully you will see I was attacked along with JRI and Marcus. The truth and fact I feel needed to be stated on my experience... Giving credit where credit was due and criticism where is was defiantly due. My statements of both are neither inflated nor exaggerated it's just simply the truth, I'm not the kind of guy to make things up and spend the time to publicly post it. I read a lot of praise before I spent my 1000.00 that lead me to where I spent it. I was also offered a discount to post similar praise. I felt what I've said needed to be said and for those making purchases to draw there own conclusion before spending there hard earned cash. Best Regards to all of you and I encourage anyone making future purchases to speak directly to Fuel Moto for Ohlins, Marcus at JRI and Howard at Motorcycle Metal... Make your own educated conclusion, inquire on return policy and repair policy. I stuck with JRI because they service the product they manufacture and because of the previous issues I had I was extended and satisfaction guarantee or my money back... Personally I couldn't have asked for more giving the headaches I had....... Amen.

#38 ·
Moderators please lock and close this thread , Slowguy if they read the thread from the beginning they will never understand how it got to this point because you have gone back and edited all of your post removing most of the negative comments you made to put yourself in a better light , please post the email you referenced but be warned I had Howard forward me all the communications between you and him I will post them too so everyone gets the TRUE story and I hope you remember how you spoke of others you now praise , I had hoped this thread was over but you seem to have no desire to let it lie

#40 ·
WOW I just read 4 pages of this, at first to find out about shocks then just to see when it ended LOL......

.....now I'm just glad I have air ride :flipoff: and a cut frame :D

Personally think Dbell said it best, carry on boys I'm gonna get some popcorn

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.