Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I was lucky to have found and purchase my 09 FLTR in March of 2011 from a local HD dealer. The first owner was a person with a large amount of money and toys. So he didn't ride it that much. I purchased it with 426 miles on the odometer. So it was not even broken in.

I met the original owner at the dealership. He had traded this bike and a 2009 Road King in at the same time for a trike. He was at the dealer going through the HD catalog and trying to add every custom part he could for that trike.

Anyway, when he originally purchased the RG, he had a number of things done when he took delivery such as:

1. SE 110 motor upgrade
2. Chrome sliders
3. custom stiched ostrich seat
4. upgraded grips
5. SS and chrome bolts and fasteners on the motor
6. D&D Stainless Steel slip-ons
7. Painted FLTRX rear facia
8. 4 point docking hardware

The asking price for this bike was $17,999. So I made the deal quickly (the bike was traded in on a Saturday, and I made the purchase on Tuesday morning).

This is what she looked like when I brought her home that day.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
2011 Modifications

2011 Modifications
So I was so happy with the bike, that I did not have any urgency to modify the bike much. But I did do some things like:

1. Bought a 2011 FLTRX seat and had it modified by MCC for my wife and I
2. Started my stereo upgrade - replaced radio with Alpine marine radio media receiver
2a. Alpine KTP-445 amplifier
2b. Polk DB651 speakers
3. Custom Dynamics orange LED lighting for engine area
4. Cee Bailey's TRSS Windshield

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
2012 Modifications

I finally decided that it was time to make some bigger upgrades to my bike. I always knew that I wanted to upgrade the wheels. I just couldn't decide if I wanted to go with the HD Agitators, or an aftermarket set. Well I finally decided on RC Components. Eastern Performance had a great deal on ebay and I was able to get the wheels, tires, and front rotors for $2,499 shipped.

I spent most of the spring trying to decide what type of handlebars I wanted. I was leaning towards the monkey bars, but I liked the feel of the bikini beach bars I had on my last bike. I ultimately went with Ballistic Cycles Relaxer Bars. So I took on the task of installing the bars. This forum really helped me and made my installation a relative breeze versus trying to do it without reading the various installs by others.

So for 2012, these are the mods/purchases I made:

1. LRS Windshield - (only use on days when I want the wind in my face)
2. Chrome Levers - Drag Specialties
3. Chrome Handlebars - RG Relaxer bars from Ballistic Cycles
4. Avon Air Cushioned Chrome Grips
5. Progressive 940 Series rear shocks - Big improvement over stock air ride
6. Leather HD Tour Pak - Craigslist purchase for $250!
7. Tour Pak Mounting Rack
8. Set of Custom Wheels - RC Imperial wheels - Purchased from Eastern Performance
8a. Chrome 21" x 3.5" Front Wheel
8b. Chrome 17" x 6.0" Rear Wheel
8c. Two Front Matching Rotors
8d. Metzeler Tires(mounted and balanced)
9. RC Airstrike Air cleaner
10. Alpine SPS-610 (sitting on the shelf now)
11. Polk MM650 (in the stock speaker location)
12. Sundowner Seat (for two-up long rides)
13. HD Backrest
14. HD Black rearview mirrors
15. Progressive drop-in lowering springs for front (dropped 1.75 inches)
16. Rockford Fosgate PBR 300x4 (replaced the KTP-445)
17. Sancho's Wings

·
Super Moderator
12,314 Posts
Nice, you got a great deal and made a beauty out of it. :)

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
2011 modification continued (pics)

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
2013 Modifications

So I thought that I was pretty much done with major modifications. But I made the mistake of reading this forum too much. That coupled with spending a couple of days at the Lone Star Rally last November in Galveston has got me back on the major modification path again.

So after giving it a lot of thought and speaking with some folks such as RoadHawg Mike, I've started working on this year's mods. These mods will include:

1. Painted inner fairing (just received my shipment from PCPain yesterday)
2. Extended bags (Currently sitting at Mike's Hawg Paint)
3. Matching extended Fender (Currently sitting at Mike's Hawg Paint)
4. HD Speaker Lids and Grills (Currently sitting at Mike's Hawg Paint)
5. Painted low profile dash (style not decided yet)
6. Banana Boards (not decided on the 19" or 21" yet)
7. Stereo Upgrade #3 (Speakers for lids, amplifiers, maybe fairing speakers as well. Still have not decided)
8. Daymaker LED headlight (later this year)

I will update this thread as I start making my mods this year. I never thought that I would have caught this disease, but I have it. I just hope that I can control it after this year.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Looking good and i'm curious how them bars are , how much pull back ?
I'm not sure on the actual measured pull back. They are wider, but come back a little more than the original bars. The hand position is good for me. When I take a few more pics, I will attempt to get one that shows the pull back.

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
Amazing how that mod list just grows...and grows...and grows!!! But man --she sure has turned out looking awesome! Thanks for keeping us up to date on all the changes..we love the pics!

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
2013 Upgrades - Here we go!

Thanks to PC Pain (Jon @ Horny Toad) for the great price on my inner fairing!

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
2013 Upgrades - Got the inner fairing on!

I was so excited, I went on ahead and installed the painted inner last night. I have not taken it outside yet, but I'm liking it a lot!

I took this pic to give those that have asked about the pull back on my bars.

·
Registered
8,250 Posts
Your bike lookin great. You got some nice mods on it.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts