Road Glide banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey

Thought I'd share this with the group. About 3 years ago, my wife and I started juicing to try to get a little healthier. We've been making green juice at least once a week that yields enough for 3 days or so. Wouldn't want to keep it longer than that anyway.

Got to tell you we feel great and never seem to get sick anymore, even colds. We got inspired by the movie Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead, though we're not any of those things. It's a a bit of a pain to shop for, make and clean up, but for us it's worth it.

We get the stuff at the farmers market in town when in season and at the super market when not. Because we're juicing we always try to get organic as the juice will concentrate the pesticides if not. Our standard recipie is apple, cucumber, kale, spinach, romain lettuce and lemon.

It's not as horrible as it sounds, and there are many recipes on the net if that one is too tough to take.

We got the Champion juicer with the greens attachment. Works well and made right here in the States, the only one we could find that is.

Here's a link to the juicer if interested. We got the black one because like with Harley's, black makes it go faster. 0:)

https://www.championjuicer.com

A

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
I also saw that movie. It truly does work. Im a firm believer in vitamins and minerals etc. I've got a juicer but I like a blender like the Ninjas for the fiber and its more filling.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
I need to do this for more vitamins and minerals. Was looking at a vitamix blender. How's the ninja?

·
Registered
62 Posts
The ninja does a fine job of blending what you need to. If your kinda up on the air about juicing, I'd go with a ninja. Then if it doesn't work out to be your thing your not out am additional $400-$500 for a vitamix.

I use my ninja for a lot and it does a great job.

Jeff

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
The ninja does a fine job of blending what you need to. If your kinda up on the air about juicing, I'd go with a ninja. Then if it doesn't work out to be your thing your not out am additional $400-$500 for a vitamix.

I use my ninja for a lot and it does a great job.

Jeff
Thanks. I think I'd use it. But like you said. Save about 400 bucks. My buddy has one. It makes grape seeds disappear. Lol.

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
I'd rather just eat the raw veggies. Feel full and consume less calories a day than juicing on top of eating normally.

My wife picked up a juicer at a garage sale years ago for $4. When I went online to find a manual I found out it had a recall on it. 2 weeks later a brand new juicer arrived. We did a couple of weekend juice cleanses, but it was a lot of work. Fresh Ginger added to the juice really bumps up the flavor.

I still think that chewing the raw veggies has more benefits than just swallowing them.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
I eat a lot. And I don't always get in the nutrients I need. My diet is pretty complex with my training and goals. This for me would be a supplement to my diet. Not a replacement for a meal. I prioritize proteins and fats over carbs and greens. If I make a shake or 2 it's not laziness, it's just fitting it what I couldn't because i filled up on the other things first.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
I prefer meat, veggies and Jack Daniels.

LOL

Works great for me and I don't need to buy a machine.

Sorry it's Monday morning and I'm just being a smartass.

Swomack
Didn't know you needed Monday as an excuse. Lol.

RFG said it perfectly. Juicing is a great SUPPLEMENT to your diet. Personally, I like to supplement with Crown Royal...And ice...
See and I'm a Tullamore Dew guy. And I have some Jack.

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
I eat a lot. And I don't always get in the nutrients I need. My diet is pretty complex with my training and goals. This for me would be a supplement to my diet. Not a replacement for a meal. I prioritize proteins and fats over carbs and greens. If I make a shake or 2 it's not laziness, it's just fitting it what I couldn't because i filled up on the other things first.

Understood. For me eating the veggies is a way to reduce calorie intake but stay full. I am not burning more than 1500 calories a day since my back injury. I am currently in the 170s weight range, but hoping to drop into the 160s and be lean muscle.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
Understood. For me eating the veggies is a way to reduce calorie intake but stay full. I am not burning more than 1500 calories a day since my back injury. I am currently in the 170s weight range, but hoping to drop into the 160s and be lean muscle.
I absolutely agree with that approach. When I had my back surgery it was a lot of salads, watermelon and egg whites. The watermelon was great with making me full and hydrated. Right now I'm 230 and about 14% ish on the bodyfat. I will drop to about 10% at 51 it's not easy so hitting single digit bf is out. (I'm not putting in the work) lol. So long as I land at about 215/220 with abs I'll be happy for the summer. Ya, vanity is a bitch and body dysmorphic disorder is a bigger bitch.

How's your healing coming along?

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
I absolutely agree with that approach. When I had my back surgery it was a lot of salads, watermelon and egg whites. The watermelon was great with making me full and hydrated. Right now I'm 230 and about 14% ish on the bodyfat. I will drop to about 10% at 51 it's not easy so hitting single digit bf is out. (I'm not putting in the work) lol. So long as I land at about 215/220 with abs I'll be happy for the summer. Ya, vanity is a bitch and body dysmorphic disorder is a bigger bitch.

How's your healing coming along?
Not where I wanted to be a year later. The exercises really just keep me from deteriorating and improvements are measured by comparing where I was 2 months ago instead of weekly or daily. I have a followup MRI the end of this month and see the doc again in May to see if the inflammation is gone and how much structure I have left.

Looking at enclosed trailers to haul bikes to places where the riding is interesting because I can't tolerate all day riding and am getting tired of the local roads even though they are fun roads.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
Not where I wanted to be a year later. The exercises really just keep me from deteriorating and improvements are measured by comparing where I was 2 months ago instead of weekly or daily. I have a followup MRI the end of this month and see the doc again in May to see if the inflammation is gone and how much structure I have left.

Looking at enclosed trailers to haul bikes to places where the riding is interesting because I can't tolerate all day riding and am getting tired of the local roads even though they are fun roads.
If you're not happy with your progress have you thought about second opinions or a different PT group? I hope you start progressing more. Damn. Hate it for ya I remember the days on my couch with a band pulling my foot back and just staring at a foot that didn't push and just willing it move. Lost most of the use of my right leg from the knee down. Its 90% now. I'm supposed to wear a leg brace but I don't. And I think that's why I have so much use. I've forced myself to train the muscles to do not exactly what they're designed to do. I'm missing most of the outer section of my right calf from the atrophy. I almost lost the entire leg. I was refusing the surgery. Doc said no problem wait a few months we'll cut off the dead leg. Lol. I was in surgery a week later. I was told I'd never walk right, never run and never lift more than 50 pounds. I used every one of them statements as goals. Learned to walk without the limp, was about to run and maintain 6mph. (Not anymore. Fuck that) and my personal best deadlift was 585#.

I know everyone's situation is different. We all heal and grow at different rates. Just told ya my story so you can see. Anything is possible regardless of what the initial prognosis is.

Just keep trying. Keep pushing. And maybe one day that trailer will collect dust. Until then. Get it to keep you touring.

·
Registered
59 Posts
We used to juice a lot as well. But we switch to making smoothies again because smoothies have more fiber than juice. Although, I must admit that juicing is way easier if you have a powerful juicer. I also like the stacking of colors of different fruits and veggies when juicing.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts