Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So when a friend had a dead battery on his softail at work a few weeks ago and were not successful in push starting it , I found a extension cord and made jumper cables out of it to jump it from my bike. This got me thinking and today I made some cables that will work in a pinch. Basically I wanted to be able to hook up to my battery tender lead w/o having to remove the seat to get to the battery. I got some 2 conductor wire from Napa and installed 2 connectors like those on my tender lead, one to connect to my bike and one to connect to the dead bike. I also made a short lead with clips that can be connected to the longer lead if the dead bike doesn't have tender lead. Wire is 14 ga., a little light for the application, but it worked a few weeks ago and I'm sure it'll work again.
ImageUploadedByMO Free1371432555.325786.jpg
ImageUploadedByMO Free1371432574.816223.jpg

Folded up it'll tuck away neatly until its needed.

Peace

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
I tried this very same set-up a year or so ago. The jumper wires began to smoke and melt big time. And yes, they were connected properly. Somebody told me that too many amps were going through the thin jumpers. If it worked for you, that's great.

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
I bought a set of jumper cables from Autozone...very compact, 10 gauge....10' long I think..$15 or so. Have not tried to jump start from tender...will that work?

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tender will not jump it, I only used the tender connections. Provided the dead bikes starts easily current draw can be minimal and prevent melting shit.

Peace

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
I started the bike I was jumping from and revved it while starting teh bike with the dead batter. The other way is to plug the tender connector into the bike that has a dead battery and use the clips on teh starter of the other bike. The bike was a softail the bike used to jump was touring. A touring battery is bigger so not sure on vice a versa.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Bad idea

We tried that with my friends bike, the wires heat up fast and produced smoke. And we didn't even jump start the other bike.

The tender wires are too thin for jump starting. Don't waste your time.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Have a set made up with a 30 amp thermal breaker in the fuse holder. Only use them to charge a low battery. Definitely not heavy enough to crank a dead bike but will put enough juice in a battery to push start, provided the battery will accept charge. I've charged a couple of bikes that just left the lights on and drained the battery.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Just ordered one of these as well. Thanks for the info guys. That's why this site is so great.

DJ Terry Moran

·
Registered
489 Posts
Needed one of these last year. Ordered 1 today. Thanks for the link.

·
Super Moderator
12,336 Posts
Jumper cables are good to have, but what if there's nobody around to give you a jump? For that reason I went with the Anti Gravity XP1, small compact and powerful, easily starts your bike, not to mention you can also charge your cellphone, gps, or whatever.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Tried That

A couple years ago in BC my batt would not turn over the starter... you cannot 'jump' using the tender cable... don't ask...

This summer we were on the Blue Ridge and I had the Powerall in the bag just in case-- just in case showed up, a brand new FLX with a dead battery and the Powerall fired it up so quick that the group watching nearly missed it.

Four of the nine guys watching ordered one for their emergency pack as well.

There are several small jump starter li-ion batts on the market and are easy to pack... just in case...

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
Jumper cables are good to have, but what if there's nobody around to give you a jump? For that reason I went with the Anti Gravity XP1, small compact and powerful, easily starts your bike, not to mention you can also charge your cellphone, gps, or whatever.

This is what I have. Right along side my stop n go tire inflator. I have two brand new sets of the Eklipes that I was too lazy to install. Maybe I donate to shark week raffle

1 - 20 of 32 Posts