Road Glide banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I pulled the plug to drain my primary today for its 20K fluid change, this is what I got ..... Pretty ugly, but mostly soft lumps of fine grain metal with a couple needle-like shards abt 3/8" long. Is this typical, for that many miles?

Transmission and engine plugs had very little shavings; not enough to cover the magnet.

·
Super Moderator
9,760 Posts
NO Way

Shouldn't be anymore than fine very fine metal slivers and barely covering the magnet

I don't go 20k with the primary

I do my primary at every motor oil change and the trans every other motor change

JtB

·
Registered
593 Posts
primary plug

Your right, that is Ugly. It almost looks like water got in your primary. Mine usually looks like a pasty substance which I think is the clutch plate residue.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Clutch plate residue, starter ring and pinion residue, crappy designed compensator residue, general wear and tear, and condensation from short rides on humid or wet days gives you a a bunch of nasty on that plug.

Worry about it?? Maybe. I have to look at the individual pieces to see if they are identifiable, but I'd be tempted to run it another 2500mi and see what you it looks like then. If it's rippin stuff up you may find out before then, but I doubt it.

I'm running Amsoil 75-140 gear oil in my primary, I figure with the metal to metal design of the compensator(old and new design) in these bikes, a lube that is designs for high shear loads and extreme pressure is probably a better idea.

Short-medium trips in the rain or high humidity areas will eventually cause fairly large amounts of moisture buildup in your primary, engine and transmission lubes. Every time the bike is ridden the engine, trans and primary warm up and push air out through their vents, and then when you shut them off they cool down and draw humid air back into the cases where it condenses, and lands in the oil sinking to the bottom of the cases.
People will say "oh by the time I get home it gets plenty warm enough to dry out". No, unless you're running 15-20mi minimum at highway speeds on a regular basis you're probably not cooking the moisture out of the oil well enough.

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
1,775 Posts
I'm running Amsoil 75-140 gear oil in my primary, I figure with the metal to metal design of the compensator(old and new design) in these bikes, a lube that is designs for high shear loads and extreme pressure is probably a better idea.

Does this affect the clutch performance?

·
Registered
3,042 Posts

Does this affect the clutch performance?

This is the 3rd bike that I have run synthetic gear lube in the primary chain case. I have used Mobil1 75w-90 in the past also.
Some people have raised concerns about "slippery oil" in the primary, however as long as you do not over fill it and get excess amounts of oil in the clutch(designed to be semi-wet) you will not have issues with the clutch.
The proper fill point is just so it touches the bottom of the clutch spring, which on our bikes takes just a smidge over 1 quart of oil. I have often poured in 1 full quart and called it good with no problems, as long as the chain is in the oil you're all good.

·
Registered
329 Posts
This is the 3rd bike that I have run synthetic gear lube in the primary chain case. I have used Mobil1 75w-90 in the past also.
Some people have raised concerns about "slippery oil" in the primary, however as long as you do not over fill it and get excess amounts of oil in the clutch(designed to be semi-wet) you will not have issues with the clutch.
The proper fill point is just so it touches the bottom of the clutch spring, which on our bikes takes just a smidge over 1 quart of oil. I have often poured in 1 full quart and called it good with no problems, as long as the chain is in the oil you're all good.
In regard to the proper fill point is that when the bike is on its jiffy stand or when it is completely upright? My bike has a center stand which I use when doing my fluid changes.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys..... Yeah it surprised me when I saw it, but not having an noise or handling issues so am gonna fill her up and run for 2-3k miles and open her up again to see what's going on.....

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
All buttoned up..... Adjust clutch and changed plugs as well and finally got my new Derby cover on...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts